Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
High End 5th Wheels

Looking for information about any High End 5th wheel manufacturers, their products and of course reviews.

Sbarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Here's a link to the DRV Suites website. After 8 years of ownership, ours is still going strong - I have not even the slightest inclination of trading for anything else.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a Newmar and love it. But they stopped making 5'ers .

We've looked st DRV and they are great. We were going to look at NuWa but thwey just announced that they plan to cease production in December. Other than DRV and Newmar I would put Excel and New Horizon in the true High End catagory. But that is simply MOHO.
John, Joyce & Libby the Yellow Lab. - Fulltime since `08

2005 Kountry Star FW-35LKSA by Newmar
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Look at Lifestyle RV. They are just starting up. You can check them out here:

1999 NEWMAR American Star (for sale)* Newmar Kountry Kklub # 19708 * THOUSAND TRAILS * 2006 Chevy 3500 Dually Dmax/Ally SOLD* Curt Q20 * Prodigy P2 *US ARMY 1965-1967 * Vietnam Veteran 1966-1967 * Life Member VFW *
99-Am.Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
My own choice was to go with the Open Range - Open Range RV: A Whole New Range of Fifth Wheels & Travel Trailers - 386 FLR (38.5' Front Living Room) model. One thing I particularly liked was the amount of storage afforded me by the raised living room up front aand the raised bedroom at the rear as well as 4-season capability.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Texas Boomers Club
We are enjoying our Heartland Landmark. You should check them out too, rated for full time use, 2 year bumper to bumper/5 year frame warraty, cold weather package and many other options.
2011 Heartland Landmark Grand Canyon
JayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
I too am looking at 5th wheels. In the throws of selling my DP. The big reason is we like to get back into a 5th as we like to get a little off the beaten track. I'm having a hard time finding something small enough to be handy (30 to 34') with 3 slides, arctic pac, gen ready, lots of food prep or island. They all seem to really like faux oak with medallions to cover the fact they don't make any of it longer than 8'. The other problem-every time I see something I like I find they are out of business, getting out, joining some one else, or they have capitulated to the bean counter and lowered standard to lowest common denominator. I have a SRW 2004 King Ranch crew diesel, that is my other limiting factor. I guess I'm getting stressed. I would like something different inside other than faux oak, there are ways of using real wood that need not add big weight-yeh I know there are other problems with humidity and other not nice things that affect wood- but at least I'd feel it was organic and alive and not a picture of wood. Saw a 34' See Ya Gold that had a real nice layout with walk in closet, made good use of all areas 4 or 5 slides- but they are kaput and have a really bad rep. I like looking at the used models as I feel that tells me what I can expect from a new one. Any advice? I'd like 3 slides, king bed, much water and black water capacity (See Ya had 100gal) Separate bath as a lower priority, genset ready,well insulated, solid frame, better suspension & brakes, booth dinette (works for entertaining)or table, full time rated (we want to head south for a few months of winter), decent water heater capacity, able to put tow hitch on to pull boat in home province. Am I too picky?
2002 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD, Avalanche toad, Glastron MX175 , X5 BMW, Almost enough toys, 3 dogs. 1 longtime wife(48 yrs)
POPPASMURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:40 AM   #8
Don't discount a NuWa. Right now, they are only stopping production Jan-Mar 2013. Their service center will remain open and they will continue to provide warranty service. Not many companies commit to that. Only time will tell if production will start back up again. Our NuWa was not perfect but the warranty work was taken care of without any hassles at all. It is a great company!
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Carriage was pretty much one of the only companies that made higher end fivers in shorter lengths. Lifestyle Luxury RV is carrying on that legacy and have heard very good things about them thus far. So far, they are not making a 31ksls (the shortest Cameo Carriage made), however, they are making a full wall slide that is about 34 feet long called a LS32Fw that is very nice. Their brochure is now available for download. Like you, we wanted a better quality rig but in a shorter length and bought a 2011 Cameo 31ksls and are very happy with it. Good luck, Phillip
jdpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Excel Owners Club
The Excel Winslow 28RKW is less than 30' and you can get it optioned out just like you want.

Excel Winslow 28RKW - Excel RVs
'13 Excel Winslow 34IKE

'12 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 03:53 PM   #11
Nu wa champayne is a good start!
Go to chanute ks. We did bought one to day!
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The following statement was recently released by Michael Mitchell, CEO of NuWa:

Limited Time To Order A New HitchHiker

The number of "build" orders being taken by NuWa is not supporting efficiency of the production department. Rather than continue to fund and operate the production department at a loss, I have made the decision to "not" accept "to build" orders after September 15th, 2012. The intent is to complete orders “in house” by Christmas, as the Winter months of January, February and March do not provide enough production activity to justify retaining production staff. Whether this termination of production is temporary or permanent, I do not yet know, but our experience so far is that we cannot generate enough new unit sales to support efficient or breakeven production. This decision goes against management’s desire to retain jobs for our dedicated employees and our community, but shareholders cannot continue to fund the production inefficiencies.

The full statement is available HERE.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
New Horizons Owners Club
New Horizons makes 5th wheels that should fit what you are looking for. They will customize any of their standard layouts to fit your requirements

Majestic | New Horizons RV | Luxury Full Time RV & Custom Fifth Wheels
Stuart, Lynn, Robbie and Abby
2012 102-F41RLTSS New Horizons Majestic
2013 F550 Super Duty w/Utility Bodywerks hauler body
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
Excel Owners Club
Excel will also work with you to modify and customize an existing model. And you even get to work with Brian, the President for this. How many businesses can you say give you that touch? We've had our Excel since 2005 and will get another Excel whenever this one wears out. Well worth the investment for a quality made product with some of the best customer care and service you could ask for. Go to Smith Center Kansas and take a plant tour. You'll be sold.

Lee, Beth & ObiPup
Didymop (2012 36RKM), pulled by Geronimo (2015 GMC 3500), followed by Beth driving JakeKar (Solara Convertible)
didymop is offline   Reply With Quote