Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonAZ View Post
I'm not taking them personally, I just don't understand the point of not keeping a thread on topic. I didn't post asking what was "a lot" to spend on a 5th wheel because that's subjective and not only that but regional. I would guess to 75% of Americans $7,500 is a lot and to some $750,000 isn't a lot. Point being it's subjective and I've come across some pretty nice fifth wheels for $1,500 so it's possible. Like to me $250k is a lot to spend on a house here but that will also buy you 80% of the houses in Tucson. For somebody in NY, CA, Seattle and so on that wouldn't be enough to buy a vacant lot.

So in the end, I guess I was just hoping for what a few people did, give me the information and let me look and learn on my own. Somebody will be right and I'm really not attached to who.
This is an internet discussion forum. People will post their thoughts whether you agree with them or like what they wrote. It is what it is. No reason to get upset or take things so personally- which it really seems like you did. No one disparaged or disrespected you or this thread. Best of luck to you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2019, 04:15 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
This is an internet discussion forum. People will post their thoughts whether you agree with them or like what they wrote. It is what it is. No reason to get upset or take things so personally- which it really seems like you did. No one disparaged or disrespected you or this thread. Best of luck to you.

I'm not upset in any way, shape or form, I also took nothing personally. If it seems like I did maybe read what I'm writing with a different inflection or understand that just because I have a different opinion or challenge a way of thinking doesn't mean something has been taken personally.

I find it best to not attach my bias to what others say or right, if I don't know what they're thinking or feeling I don't just take a random stab in the dark, I simply ask them.

I value all the thoughts and opinions but certainly don't want people with smaller budges to read this in the future thinking that this is an exclusive lifestyle for high rollers and people with tons of expendable income.
TucsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 10:51 PM   #17

You didn’t say much about your tow vehicle capabilities or desired size/weight.

The old Sunnybrook units are well built and very light weight compared to the competition because they used a full welded-aluminum structure. Most from the late 90’s already had a single slide (We had a 1998 27RKFS that we bought in 2016 for $6000 and everything worked).
Old 05-24-2019, 06:43 AM   #18

I have owned 3 5th wheels. The first two were without a slideout(s). Last year I bought a 2004 Keystone Cougar 28' for $4500. It has one slideout which contains the dinette and couch, maybe 12' long. With the slideout out there is sooooo much more interior space. I am a now a big advocate of slideouts. I have invested about $2000 more. Except for the fading Cougar decals (it spent most of its life in Arizona) I would call it now in bristol condition. This 5th wheel was by no means a project. I do enjoy rebuilding and renovating so any work I did was a labor of love. I live in north central Florida. There is a fairly large market of used 5th wheels, in good condition, up and down the state. Outside of custom I don't believe you will find a production 5er with a real wood interior but my experience is limited. You will you will find many 5th wheels, well into the 2000s in your price range.
frizfreleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:14 AM   #19

I don't think the RV is going to be the problem, we got our 2005 30' Alfa 5th wheel for $10k in AZ, and it's a helluva trailer, but the truck might.

Especially if your looking at F-250/F-350 - your looking at relatively old vehicles with high mileage...likely Gas...get the v10 if you can.... Nothing wrong with that, but I got pretty well bitten by going full timing with a "cheap" 2005 F-350. If you ignore the problem engine (6.0), my chassis still had plenty of issues with things like leaf springs cracking, sensors going out, calipers freezing, leaking wheel bearings, etc. I think for weekend use it would have been fine, but the constant and continuous heavily loaded life I subjected it too as a full timer really did a number on the weaker components. If your full-time you want something ULTRA reliable in my opinion, and an old truck may not be.

Only other thing I can suggest is buy the truck and use it around town for several months and take some long test trips to work the bugs out before you rely on it for your entire life style. It's a real bear to drive basically from shop to shop... but again. Spend more on the truck then the trailer if you can.....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, slide