Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #1
Question Hijacker hitch question

so have had two hijacker hitches, original was across bed, switched to a used slider hitch for quite cheap, with longbox I did not need it, but it was pretty well brand new and i like having the center clear in truck for putting stuff in or sliding stuff out, not to mention shoveling out dirt or gravel is nicer with no bar across, anyway always wanted a double pivot hitch, just recently found one looks like new, about three years old, the problem is it does not have the same adjustment height as my older one, the older of course was called a FWH34, this is a FWH34P, now as for height I can get it close to the old ones height, might be able to be within an inch or so lower on the height, but my main question is that my old hitch where it slides in is 31 1/2" wide and just fits in slot of rails in bed, new hitch measures 32" and of course will not slide into existing rail.
so compared old rail in truck and dimensions of rails that came with newer one and they are the same, so can I just loosen off my bolts in bed rails then slide new hitch in and tighten up rail bolts and it will be okay and not stressed at all?

Hope this is clear, thanks.

Live life with no regrets.
partsman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #2

I had Hi-Jacker, manual slide, hitches in both my tow vehicles , the first I installed my self the second came with the truck.
The second install was not perfect , as the rails tapered slightly and required the hitch be loosened ( up rights from the cross bar ) then re-torqued when in the rails , the hitch would slide through the manual adjustment once in place and the spring latch pins lined up, for the forward and rear placements.
Check the frame brackets to see if the rails bolt down brackets are slotted to allow some adjustment , you may have to slot the holes in the P/U bed's sheet metal to get the proper alignment on the rails , also the bolts should be checked and replaced rather than, loosened and re-torqued.
If the frame brackets aren't slotted then I'd lean towards fabricating a plate shim to space the bracket from the frame to achieve the proper rail alignment , and once again possible bolt replacement.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 04:38 PM   #3
Thanks for the reply, I just found it interesting that they do not make them all the same height adjustments, and the width is not the same.
Live life with no regrets.
partsman01 is offline   Reply With Quote