Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-31-2014, 07:57 PM   #1
Hitch for RAM

I recently purchased a 2014 RAM 3500 DRW long bed with the factory prep package. I am interested in the B & W companion RVK 3600 which is for the RAM. My question is should I buy and have the hitch installed from the RV dealer that I am purchasing the fifth wheel from or since the pickup is already factory prepped for the fifth wheel hitch, can I just buy the hitch via the internet and have someone else install it?

BOBCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2014, 09:43 PM   #2
If you can check your engine oil you can drop in the hitch.

2013 RAM 3500 Longhorn Dually, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch,2014 Trilogy 3650 RL, 8000# axles, disk brakes, I.S., 960 Watt Solar
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:27 AM   #3
The hitch is easy to install. I have the exact same truck as you...the hitch has very tight tolerances and does require a little effort to get all 4 pucks completely seated, but it is not that bad. After that, all you have to do is install the upright support arms on the base and then drop the hitch head on.

You will need a torque wrench to ensure proper tightening of the upright arms. B&W provides good directions...read through them and you will be fine. Oh yeah, even though it comes in 2 main pieces, the base is fairly heavy and awkward to lift by yourself...I found it easier to stand in the center of the base and lift it up by the side handles and walk with it to get it to my truck. From there, obviously you have to set it down and step out of it to then pick it up and get it into the truck bed. You will want to be wearing gloves to make it easier on your hands and better yet, have someone help you lift it into the bed of your truck.
mcumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:40 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I would check the best deal on the internet including shipping. The dealer will more than likely mark it up substantially. as mentioned, the initial assembly is very easy and they provide good instructions.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Buy and have the hitch installed from the RV dealer that I am purchasing the fifth wheel from and you will get a better install.
wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Just put a champion rvk3500 on my 3500 drw, if you can change a tire you can put this on your tv. I look at it like this, pay a dealer 100 bucks an hour or pay myself. JMO
2008 GMC Duramax 3500HD CC,LB,DRW With some hidin power mods 2007 Mobile Suites 36 SB3
Appy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
I just purchased a hitch from etrailer.com, excellent directions and an all inclusive kit made instillation easy. And I only know how to check the oil.

kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote