Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
Hitch height problem! Need help.

Just bought our first 5ver! Couldn't be happier with the exception of one issue...hitch height. First the details. We bought a 2013 Mountaineer 295RKD with a pin box (king pin) height of 48 1/2 inches...according to Keystone. I Also just bought a 2014 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 SB (with tow prep package) with a bed height of 35 inches. I want to get the Pull-Rite Super Glide to max turns to 90 degrees. Unfortunately, the tow prep package pre-drilled holes are limiting. In order to use the holes, I need to use the Reese #30156 adapter which raises height ~3 1/2 inches (15K hitch)! This gives me an installed height of 21 inches, 1 inch higher than the bed rails! I called Pull-Rite and they suggested their own adapter and the 16K Super Glide. This has a 17inch total height but this still leaves me with 52 inch height on the hitch will a King pin at 48 1/2. Anyone else have this experience??? Help??? I need to pick up the new 5ver next week. I was investigating the Sidewinder and then buying a standard, no-slide Reese hitch. Any thoughts on this???? Thanks for you help....

mwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
iRV2 Marketing
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Originally Posted by mwebb View Post
This has a 17inch total height but this still leaves me with 52 inch height on the hitch will a King pin at 48 1/2. Anyone else have this experience??? Help??? I need to pick up the new 5ver next week. I was investigating the Sidewinder and then buying a standard, no-slide Reese hitch. Any thoughts on this???? Thanks for you help....
I used a Pullrite Super 5, back in the day, and I didn't have a major problem with pin height. I did adjust the pin height on the box since that was adjustable. Would that help you? I did try very hard to get the trailer parallel with the ground. The pin weight didn't settle the back of the truck too badly either. At the time I was running an F-250 SC 4x4 PSD SRW.

03 Adventurer 38G, Workhorse W22
F&R Track Bars, Safety+ , Ultrapower, Taylor Extremes, SGII
TST 507, Blue Ox, SMI, Koni FSD, CrossFire
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Ford used to sell a "lowering kit" for this purpose, can't hurt to inquire at your local Ford dealer service dept.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
I am a big fan of B&W products. I don't use a slider but they make one that has three height positions and I've heard great things about them. For some reason, all three truck manufacturers have seen fit to raise the bedsides on their trucks, makes it a pain to pull a 5th wheel without flipping axles or raising the suspension.

Companion Slider - 5th Wheel Hitch | B & W Trailer Hitches
2004.5 GMC SLT CCLB, Ride Rites, Turbo brake, EFI Live
2012 Arctic Fox 29 5T 5th Airborne, B&W, Prodigy
Papillon navigators Lily, Buddy and Willow
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Mid Atlantic Campers
I purchased a new to me truck and replaced the PullRite with a B&W. The 2011 F350 has the puck system and I like the B&W much better.
soundman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Get a 4x2,n you don't need a 4x4 for RVing. If the 4x2 is too high put a lowering kit on it.
wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #7
Thanks for all the great replies. I have a few options to think about and will let you know what I decide.
mwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:25 PM   #8
Do the dimensions you gave allow the the rear of the truck squatting as the pin weight drops onto the hitch? If not, the Pullrite may be nearly perfect assuming the truck drops 3-4 inches.

I cannot comment on other hitch brands, but my previous TV was a F350 SRW with a Pullrite Superglide 16K hitch. I was very happy with it's fully automatic operation - no levers, no pins to pull, just drive and the hitch slides if it needs to. New TV is a Ram 3500 DRW and I installed a Pullrite 20K Super 5th (non slider). Check the jaw design and latching mechanism - the pin is completely surrounded when latched. When hooking up, the hitch closes with a very positive and secure manner.
Central New York; 2016 Rockwood 2604WS travel trailer
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Eco Diesel; 2002 Harley Heritage Classic
Bill Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Thor Owners Club
All of the Reese Hitches I have owned allowed me to adjust the height of the head on the hitch. I have changed Ford trucks from F250's to F350's and never had issue with moving the hitch and making necessary adjustments.

I would think your dealer would help you make any adjustments with your truck.

With the pin high, as you back up to the hitch and clear rails, you can begin to lower the pin short of the head so you may still back up on the saddle as you are supposed to do. When the jaws surround the pin and you are latched on even if you are slightly high, when you raise your legs and lower the front end of the 5r, it will settle even more and you can see the true positioning of your rig. Then just make your adjustments on the hitch.

I can usually eye ball it before I hook up to the saddle and see how much I want to go either way. I was concerned with the last truck because the bed is very high but didn't have a problem.

06 King of the Road 37RLQS
06 Coachman Cross Country 5.9L 300HP 382 DS
03 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L James, Trina, SMSgt, USAF Ret
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

need help