Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
to the OP - From the wording of your original question I'm guessing you are new to RV's. Even if you're not new, please consider that you will need to build a relationship with a reputable RV dealer. One way to build that relationship is to recognize that they need to make a profit to stay in business.

Last summer I bought a Pullrite Super 5th hitch from and had it installed by a local RV dealer with a good reputation. This summer that same dealer went way above and beyond for the warranty replacement of 2 slide toppers on my 5th wheel trailer. Note that I did NOT buy the trailer from them, just the hitch. My trailer dealer is 90 miles away and is not an authorized warranty repair shop for my brand of slide topper.

My opinion, your choice.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davey View Post
to the OP - From the wording of your original question I'm guessing you are new to RV's. Even if you're not new, please consider that you will need to build a relationship with a reputable RV dealer. One way to build that relationship is to recognize that they need to make a profit to stay in business.

Last summer I bought a Pullrite Super 5th hitch from and had it installed by a local RV dealer with a good reputation. This summer that same dealer went way above and beyond for the warranty replacement of 2 slide toppers on my 5th wheel trailer. Note that I did NOT buy the trailer from them, just the hitch. My trailer dealer is 90 miles away and is not an authorized warranty repair shop for my brand of slide topper.

My opinion, your choice.
Bill, Great advice and thanks a lot. I am very new to RVing...actually it is something I have always wanted to do. Retired Navy turned school teacher for past 11 years. Just bought TV and getting good advice like that which you just offered.
My next question is.....
1.Did you buy the hitch from the dealer or did you order it and take it to them?
2. Can a reputable RV dealer install any hitch I want or do they typically carry certain brands?
Thanks again
bgall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #17

So for me, finding a place that specializes in hitches and installation is key for me. The shop I went to does little else other than hitch work.

This usually works best for me, also. You are going to have 3 components to the install: 1) truck receiver; 2) trailer hitch: 3) wiring

I have used a B&W Companion hitch for over 7 years, when I change trucks I have the truck receiver installed by a very competent shop, along with the wiring. Then I just transfer the hitch.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgall2 View Post
Bill, Great advice and thanks a lot. I am very new to RVing...actually it is something I have always wanted to do. Retired Navy turned school teacher for past 11 years. Just bought TV and getting good advice like that which you just offered.
My next question is.....
1.Did you buy the hitch from the dealer or did you order it and take it to them?
2. Can a reputable RV dealer install any hitch I want or do they typically carry certain brands?
Thanks again
As I recommended in a previous post, find a reputable installer and have them provide the hitch and install it, that way they are responsible for the entire installation and you will have only one place to deal with, should there be problems with the way the hitch performs. A REPUTABLE dealer should be able to order any hitch of your choice, although they may recommend a particular manufacturer based upon their preference and confidence in a particular product. A reputable dealer won't try to sell you something that doesn't suit your needs. Do your homework, I spent considerable time researching different hitch products and talking to RV owners about their hitches. I have been extremely satisfied with the brand I finally selected. The internet is your friend, use it.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #19

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
What id the RV dealer or a hitch dealer tell you? I don't think they are members of the forum, you have to contact them.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
bgall2, I agree with road dog that a dealer should be able to get any hitch you want. I also agree that it is better to have one place totally responsible for the hitch so you don't get into a pi**ing contest if there is trouble later.

To answer your question, I had the dealer order and install a Pullrite Super 5th hitch with frame brackets below the floor of the pick up box. They actually charged me $100 less than the estimate. This is not a cheap hitch, but is rated for 20,500lbs -same as my truck.

When you get the hitch, ask them to install a 7-pin wiring connector inside the pickup box near the tail gate. This connector is just like the one on your bumper but is much easier to use when hooking/unhooking the trailer. Plus the wire is not dangling over the tail gate as you travel.
Old 09-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #21

Thanks a lot. Great advice. I have two RV dealers within an hour of me that I have visited a couple times just to look around. Next time I go in I will ask about hitch installation. I am sure they will enjoy putting that in knowing the sale of a rig may be next.
Thanks again.
bgall2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:43 PM   #22

When I bought my last truck I requested the dealer take it to a hitch dealer in town and install side steps, bed electrical extension, bed liner, and largest and heaviest duty hitch they had. They did and then I paid an extra dollar amount on top of the truck price. The dealer did all the leg work and install and components were just an additional amount that cost way less if I had it done. They installed a large 26,0000 lb hitch and spray in bed liner and extension all for 1400$. The side steps were installed later when I found my wife could not get in the truck without them. The dealer was a large and trailer friendly dealer. When I went to pick the truck up (250 miles away) it was all competed without me doing anything other then the phone call.

If you already have the truck and need accessories, go directly to an aftermarket truck shop and negotiate your best price for the accessories. Often they will drop way down the prices on accessories if you already have done your homework and know what they sell for on line.
Paul R. Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #23

I suggest if you are going to haggle with a small business and run them to the ground on products that are cheaper online, just get them online and go to Camping World and see how the big box chain stores treat you, and you'll find out why small business people are of higher quality, and maybe higher price.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #24

I like to go to the manufactures web sites and see if they have recommendations. I work at a shop that installs a lot of hitches but we do not have the proper tools to install a good 5th wheel hitch. Companies that do fleet truck, utility boxes or cranes are a safe bet they have the proper tools to do the job correctly. I have installed them my self and it isn't always a fun task. The hitch manufactures should have the vehicle specific brackets for the truck. you will pay a little more for them but better than having some little shop build a bracket that fits but isn't strong enough. Not sure of your are as far as a local shop but I hope this helps a little
Old 09-08-2013, 03:50 PM   #25

A Reese 30035 are universal and you don't need someone to build brackets for it.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install