Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #1

Hitch Plate Tilts and is difficult to line up

My Reese 16K hitch had some stiffness when I first got it so it would stay level when backing into the rig. Now that it's been used for a bit, it tilts over to a neutral position and is difficult to line up on the pin. Is there something to adjust to keep it level during the hitch up or do I have to jury rig something up?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2013, 12:00 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Unless it is way off, usually just backing up to the pin will level the hitch out enough to back under the 5er. The plates around the pin and on the hitch let you accomplish this. If you put the middle of the back window of the TV lined up with the center of the pinbox, you will be close enough to for the two to mate and hitch up.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Let the head float. It should tilt back toward the trailer and as you back up and contact the hith with the pin box, it will level out and slide under the pin box.

You do want the trailer set a bit low so that it will ride up on the hitch and load the truck. This way there is less chance of "high-hitching" and not the king pin latched into the jaws. You do want the trailer wheels to be well chocked when hitching.

Ken
Old 09-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #4

Not sure from your description what is wrong, but if the head is tilting upward, then you can use a small bungee cord to pull it downward. As mentioned, the trailer pin will slide right up into the slot if anywhere close to being lined up.

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
like others said, let it float. when you back up it will level out and latch in . if it helps, after unhitching, measure from the bottom of the king-pin to the ground. Deduct 1/2" and then cut an old broom handle to that length. us it to set the king-pin height when hitching up. it works for me every time regardless of the terrain.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Star View Post
after unhitching, measure from the bottom of the king-pin to the ground. Deduct 1/2" and then cut an old broom handle to that length. us it to set the king-pin height when hitching up.
Now why didn't I think of that That's a great idea...and I know I have a couple of extra old brooms that should be tossed - after I cut off the handle, though.

Jim
Old 09-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #7

I put a spring on my Reese 20K hitch to keep it tilted towards the tailgate when unhooked from the 5er. I just drilled a 1/8" hole in the hitch rocker sheet metal and hooked other end to the rail. bought a spring with hooks on both ends of proper length and that problem was solved.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #8

My older B&W Companion does the same thing, actually tilts forward a lot when the release handle is opened. I drilled a couple of small holes and added a spring like Ray did, works fine now.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
ditto on all said...
you should have an angled 'lip' on your 5er pin plate that should ride-up the hitch as you back under it...

and -
one thing to help with the hitching height (other than the broom handle idea)
is this - works like a champ !!! I think it cost me $8 ?!?

TT Hook-Up----SOLO | Lance Owners of America
Old 09-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #10

Two springs in the back and one forward is the way to stabilize the head for hitching.

hjs
Old 09-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #11

I understand about it tilting back. I read the book. It's the sideways tilting that I had a problem with. I have a crew cab and a long bed so the hitch is pretty far back. When the plate is tilted to the side I seem to always line up to the right of the slot. Anyway, it think I have this figured out. I bought a magnetic 5X7 inch mirror to pu on the king pin box so that I can see where it's headed and I leveled the plate with a foam tube.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by road dogs View Post
My older B&W Companion does the same thing, actually tilts forward a lot when the release handle is opened. I drilled a couple of small holes and added a spring like Ray did, works fine now.
They have a Fifth Wheel Head Leveling Kit, call them and they will send it out for FREE

http://www.turnoverball.com/sites/de...09_23_2011.pdf
Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 PM   #13

So the problem is just you not getting used to it tilting yet? I would let it tilt as it wants, and practice till you get it lined up right every time.
Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 PM   #14

Fully articulated hitches (up and down, forward and back and side to side) are a pain to hitch up. I've been hitching up fifths for over 30 years and it still is a pain. The side to side is what gets you. If you are not lined up you can't force it to line up, it will just flip to one side or the other.
I never had a mirror or hitch up camera, I line it up with the side of the camper then get out and check it (line up of the pin and the head slot), if it's off by even 1/2 inch I re-line it. I don't care how many times I have to get out to check it and who is watching, that's lot less embarrassing then trying to jam it and have the head do strange and convoluted things.

hjs