Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2005, 02:17 PM   #15

Knute

I don't want to get into a P**ing contest with you however, this is what my Generac (see Sig) Installation manual states in a chart that compares the various models of Generac RV generators.

 NP-50G (gas) output- 5000W/120V/41.6A
 NP-50LP (propane fuel, same generator, engine etc) output- 4500W/120V/37.5A

Now unless there is something about the "new math" that I don't understand, that is a 10% reduction in output.

I agree that for the same output the LP generator will consume 10% more fuel.

May you have "smooth sailing and following seas"!

Richard

1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2005, 04:08 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
OK, here we go! This is the site that has full info and picture of the aux. fuel tank for the Honda (and other) gen sets. Hope this helps...

don

http://www.wisesales.com/GeneratorAccessories.html

Old 08-04-2005, 03:57 AM   #17

I wondered if I could be the only one that wanted the EU2000 and a longer run time. Now.... I wonder if I can run tandem generators off one large tank. I will call Wise to see what they say. Thanks for your help!
Old 08-04-2005, 04:08 AM   #18

Richard,

No contest is required. The unit that is made for propane has been derated by the manufacture. It may have the same engine and gen, but the controls and fuel delivery are different.

The machine will consume what fuel it needs to generate and satisfy the electrical demand. Propane has less energy per pound than gasoline. So for the same power demand it will take more propane than gasoline.

It is an energy balance thing.

If it takes 10 pounds of gasoline to generate 16 kW, then it will take 11 pounds of propane to generate 16 kW.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle anyone.

FWIW, I hate these gen sets in campgrounds with electricity. There is always some knothead who won't plug their rig into the campground power and insists on running the noisy gen set next to my camper. Funny thing happens around 2 am, about the time I'm fed up with the noise, the fuel shut off valve mysteriously moves to the "off" position. Then silence returns. The next morning the knothead wonders how it ran out of fuel in the middle of the night, while fuel remains in the tank. I just play dumb and remind him about the campground power.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 AM   #19

i have a toyhauler and i have a normal installed gen set in,
and i have a 3000 and 2 2000 eu's that i can use.

and i justed tee off my 1 36 gal fuel tank and run the hose down and tee it into both carbs on the little hondas,

now they will run forever,
i dont even use their tank at all !

i have also permenetly mounted a 3000 for a buddy where i added a 40 gal fuel cell and mounted the pannel inside ,
and ran a new exhaust and the thing just works great .
02 chevy 2500hd 4x4 d/a crew cab sb srw,20k easy rider air ride hitch,air lift bags with compressor for bags and hitch,edge ez juce box and hyperchip,jena my girlfriend a 140 lbs french mastiff and a 175 lbs english mastiff. living in an 02 40' trip
kelstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #20

I use 2 honda EU2000's. It is pretty simple to set up a larger gas can system. I bought 2 new Honda gas caps, removed the vents from them, epoxied in place a small brass straw (for lack of better description) in each cap, get a couple of feet of clear tubing (gasoline use approved) get a tee for the tubing. Connect the tubing to the 'straws' tee them together, put the bottom run from the tee into a full 5 gallon gas can, the vacuum generated from the fuel level decreasing in the Hondas, will pull fuel into the Honda gas tanks. Then you just monitor the one 5 gallon gas can, and be sure to shut down and check the oil level once a day.
Old 08-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #21

Thanks for the idea of making the aux. tank. It sounds exactly like one being sold for $139. I am sure you made yours for MUCH less. I already have a spare plastic outboard motor tank. I am thinking that I can cut the outboard rubber hose that came with the tank and connect it to the tee you mention. Then I could just use the std tank to hose disconnect to remove the tank for refilling. Do you think that the new Honda gas cap vent holes could be tapped and then install screw in hose barb fittings? Does that sound like it would work. Thanks again for the idea of making the tank mod and saving $ (to be used for diesel fuel, of course)
Old 10-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Inverter generators

We use a Honda EU2000 to run our hunting camp. The great thing about the Inverter generators (Honda and Yamaha) is that they all have Eco throttles and only run at a speed that the load requires. The EU2000 runs our camp for 9 hours on the 1 gallon that is in the tank. We have used a extend-a-tank for at least 10 years. It will run for about 3 days without a refill. We always change the oil each time. When we bought the Honda, the dealer told us it would pay for itself in just a few years and he was right. I just wish that they would make an inverter generator for motorhomes.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #23

I made up a siphon for my Honda that I hook up to a larger gas can. I drilled a 1/2" hole into the center of a lawn mower gas cap. This allowed me to keep the original gas cap as it is vented, this allows me to use the gen with out the larger tank. The Honda lawnmower cap was also a lot cheaper than the generator cap. I used air tool fitting that I threaded into the hole I drilled, then connected a rubber hose from the air tool fitting. The hose just goes into the gas can. The key to making this work is the connection to the cap must be air tight and the on board gas tank on the generator needs to be filled to the top. As the generator uses the fuel it draws fuel from the larger tank (the vent). The whole setup cost about $20. The commercial unit is over a $100. Wish I had a picture but the fitting is at my cabin.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:23 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
auxiliary gas tank

Google Honda EU auxiliary gas tank and you will see the cheapest way to make these. Also on You Tube.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:44 PM   #25

I don't know how to post pictures on this site. So send me a PM with your e-mail and I will send you pictures of my extended tank setup for my two 2000. It works great and only cost me about $30.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #26

National RV Owners Club
On E-bay they have the ready made gas caps for the EUs. $25.00