Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Honda vs Yamaha portable generators

We are thinking about buying a small portable generator for our fifth wheel. We want to do some dry camping, but with the residential refrigerator (it was a big mistake) there is not enough battery life for more than about 2 days. So I have been looking at both the Honda and Yamaha 2000 generator. The Yamaha looks a little better right now, but I would like to hear from those that have either/or what they like/dislike and what would you buy now
Thanks

TheToads is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Honda vs Yamaha portable generators

I have used a variety of generators over the years. Honda is the king of small generators - along with the highest purchase price. Yamaha is very good.

That said, I bought a Champion 3000w inverter generator with 30a RV connector. About $6-700.00. It's a well built unit, starts in first pull, and works great. Will run an air conditioner. I bought via Costco.com.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 06:56 PM   #3

We bought 2 Honda's (2000s) in 2014 as they were the quietest at the time. They have been great and we are happy. The Yamaha's are great too. I think it is almost a toss up. I would consider run time on a tank of fuel as an important consideration too. Unless you are going to use an auxillary tank. No one wants to get up in the middle of the night to fill the tank!
Old 07-18-2016, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToads View Post
We are thinking about buying a small portable generator for our fifth wheel. We want to do some dry camping, but with the residential refrigerator (it was a big mistake) there is not enough battery life for more than about 2 days. So I have been looking at both the Honda and Yamaha 2000 generator. The Yamaha looks a little better right now, but I would like to hear from those that have either/or what they like/dislike and what would you buy now
Thanks
I'm thinking the residential fridge is an upgrade. Look at all of the posts regarding Norcold and Dometic's. I think there are ways of handling the charging of batteries while dry camping but it takes a little planning and a lot of money.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:04 PM   #5

I bought Yamaha for a real cylinder head and a metal camshaft.

No complaints.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #6

I have a Honda EU2000. It has a fuel pump, so it can be configured, with a converted gas cap, to run on a 3 or 6 gallon gas tank.
It's constant output is 1600 watts with a 2000 watt surge rating.
It's shut down switch kills the ignition and fuel at the same time. There is no provision to run it out of gas for storage, but there is a bowl drain on the carb. I just let it run until the tank is empty for any storage. The in tank gas filter is a chore to change but the fill neck filter seem to do a good job.

I've had it for 6 years, with some over night runs for an 8000 BTU AC and many "full output" runs, charging a large battery bank, and it is still going strong.

I understand that the Yamaha, 2000 has a separate gas valve, making it easier to run it dry, for a few weeks of storage. Long term, I would run the tank dry.
It don't believe it has a fuel pump for an extended run tank.
It too is rated at 1600 watts and 2000 surge. It is a bit quieter at 1/4 load but louder at full load.

They both are highly rated and repair parts are avalable everywhere. I can't say that for the other brands.

Happy shopping.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #7

Both are great choices. The Honda is a little quieter, but the Yamaha is a little cheaper. We purchased two Honda's, an EU2000i and an EU200ic (companion, can be ganged together with the "i" to provide 4000 watts peak, 3200 watts continuous. We used them on our travel trailer.

Either way, check out the site:

Electric Generator Depot - Portable Generators For Sale - Buy Online, Free Shipping and Save

We purchased both our generators there, free shipping, no tax, received in 3 days. I couldn't beat the price anywhere.

Our generators currently have 187 hours and 283 hours respectively. We still use them for camping, well, only one with the coach we have right now when we don't need the full up diesel generator in the coach. Sips fuel. We have the extended run fuel system, w/ 6 gallon tank, will run about 50 to 60 hours with the 6 gallon tank plus the .9 gallons in the generator fuel tank!

Honda Generator EU2000I Extended Run Fuel Tank 6 GA Tank | eBay

Purchase an inexpensive hour meter to allow you to better perform oil changes and other required maintenance:

High Quality Waterproof Digital LCD Motorcycle ATV Bike Hour Meter Gauge Tool | eBay

The equipment in the above links work great, but I'm not recommending any specific site for either the fuel tank, or hour meter, just the product itself. Good luck in whatever you choose!
Old 07-18-2016, 09:37 PM   #8

Yamaha works great, you will not be disappointed. And has a cast iron cylinder as well as a fuel shut off valve.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:43 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So, I started searching for a generator. I found brand X, and their advertising compared their product to the Honda generator. Then I found brand Y, and their advertising compared their product to the Honda generator. Then I found brand Z, and their advertising claimed that because their product was so much cheaper than Honda, the extra noise and the harder starting and the oil leakage and the vibration didn't matter because their Brand Z generator was so much cheaper than the Honda generator.

The next day I went out and bought a Honda generator. I've never regretted it.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:06 PM   #10

So I have a pair of Honda's and I have this issue..... at night when the coach batteries are charged... we can run one 2000 honda and run the microwave or another 120vac appliance and charge the batteries.... in the a.m. the batteries are so low... and my converter draws almost 7 amps when it's running full blast... so now we don't have enough power to run the microwave, or the wife's hair drier, etc... so we end up starting the second 2000...

The plans were to run one 2000 unless we needed the AC and than start the second one... but because of the charge statues in the a.m. with the batteries we can't do this... plus I have go out to do this...

If we'd bought (1) 3000 watt and had the second 2000 watt as needed for additional loads... all the above would have been prevented and the 3000 watt electric starts... so your not pulling a rope...

If I can find a Yamaha, or other than a Honda with 3600 or 4000 watts of power that's a ultra low db.... and is a full sine wave generator... so the speed is based on the output... not driving the 60 cycle sine wave.... I'm going to move that way...

If I can't find a great value on brand x, or y or z with the above specifications I'm going to sell one of the 2000 and buy the 3000....

BTW the used 2000's in my market are more than I paid for mine 3 years ago... and the price of the 3000 hasn't changed in the past 3 years...

Mine are bolted in place... and have simple wiring that works for me... I just don't care to start both in the a.m..... a pain in the rump so to speak...
Old 07-18-2016, 11:05 PM   #11

Get the Honda, because you can easily use external fuel tanks.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #12

Jelag I bought the Yamaha EF3000iSEB on sale at PPL for $2222.10 and am very happy. It's 3000 watt but the battery for the electric start will boost it to 3500 long enough to start a 15K ac unit. I have a 50 amp plug and transfer switch in the front of my trailer so I can start the unit then start the ac and go down the road. I force the fridge into LP and shut off the water heater but it will run both my ac unit and my battery charger. Together they pull 22 amps. Burns a lot of fuel at that load but has a 3.4 gallon tank. We stop to sightsee and put the dogs in the trailer and go do our thing.

2012 NuWay HitchHiker 363RSBDA, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually 6.7
Old 07-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #13

I don't know if correct or not, but I have read that Honda parts are easier to get than Yamaha parts.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #14

If you plan to boondock a lot, I think I'd look into some solar. It's expensive but 300w or so would go a long way and definitely shorten the time you need to run the gen. I'd also look at getting 4-6V GC batteries for the fridge. Have those tied into the solar and on days with nice weather you could get by without running the gen to charge the batteries.
2000w gen @950.00 leaves $1000.00 for some solar. Assuming you went the 3000w Honda route.
JMO but two 2000w Honda/Yamahas are a lot easier to tote around than one 3000w gen. If you plan on leaving it in the truck 24/7 then 3000s the way to go.

Tags
generator, honda