Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2014, 07:26 AM   #1

Hooking up

We just traded in our motor home for a fifth wheel. I figure I'll have a lot of questions.

We have a residential refrigerator and an inverter. The book says not to run the inverter when the wiring harness is hooked to the truck because it could damage the electrical system in the truck. Does anyone have an explanation for that?

When hooking up to leave a site, should the shore power be disconnected before securing the wiring harness? Or, doesn't it matter, other than the fact that you might forget? Similarly, if you don't unhook when you stop for the night, should you disconnect the wiring harness when connected to shore power?

gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2014, 07:41 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I know I'd unplug the truck when hooked to a CG.
I don't see why it would be a problem with the inverter and the truck! I though that's what it was for running off the battery. The truck charges the 5th wheel batteries while hooked up.
Great question got me wondering IM planning on a residential and inverter. I'd like to see what's said on this..

Gator from all of us 5th wheelers I want to welcome you from the dark side and to the light..

Okay before the Motor Homey's group gets upset I'M joking!

Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
Hooking up to the truck is the last thing I do before leaving, also make sure you unhook from the truck when stopping for the night at a WM , you might drained the truck battery !!!
Old 01-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #4

I am also looking at getting a residential refer in my next 5th wheel. I expected to tow the 5th with the refer and inverter are on. I thought the truck hook-up would be connected to the Converter to charge the batteries and the Inverter would pull from the batteries to run the refer.

If this is not the case I gotta know...yikes.

I try not to have both the truck plugged to the trailer while it is also plugged in to shore power.

When I am ready - I hook to the truck hitch first using the shore power to pull in the slides and work the jacks. When it is hooked I disconnect the shore power, put the trailer electric cable away then plug into the truck. Walk around the unit a few times. Do my pull test. Get out remove the wheel chocks.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #5

For what it's worth.
My Ford truck had a stock battery wire that was so small that I figured it was not going to charge the trailer batteries properly. To much voltage loss. Including my previous trailer had a 14 gage battery wire.
I installed a 10ga wire direct from the truck batteries and fused it with a 30amp fuse. The present trailer has a 10ga wire and max amp charging has been 23amps.
If that is enough to run the fridge it might work. But the original wire on mine surely would not have produced enough.
I read somewhere that it takes 180watts average or min 15 amp steady draw to operate an electric fridge.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #6

The inverter makes 120V. The truck makes 12V. They won't interfere.
The converter makes 12V and so does the truck. The only thing that would happen is the truck would be charged by the converter.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:37 PM   #7

New Horizons Owners Club
Tumble Weed
If you remember over on the NuWa Owners site, several of them that have residential fridgess have inverters and have put in 4 batteries so they can run the fridge as they go down the road.
Remember that if you don't have your cord hooked to the trailer, you have no brakes or lights while traveling.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by NULarry B View Post
Tumble Weed
If you remember over on the NuWa Owners site, several of them that have residential fridgess have inverters and have put in 4 batteries so they can run the fridge as they go down the road.
Remember that if you don't have your cord hooked to the trailer, you have no brakes or lights while traveling.
Larry I didn't write that well. Didn't mean to imply not to have it hooked while moving..
Hey when did you get rid of the 2006?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:09 PM   #9

The 12 volt charge wire from the truck goes into the trailer directly to the batteries. The batteries would act like a voltage spike sink. Unless the batteries were installed backwards there is no way there could be harm to the truck electrical system.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #10

I have a residential fridge in our rig and we run it when hooked to truck. When breaking camp I unplug from shore power, go inside and turn on inverter and then hook truck up. Do reverse when setting up, unhook truck, turn off inverter then hook shore power.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:03 PM   #11
JDT

We also have a residential fridge and inverter in ours and never had any issues with running the inverter while hooked to the truck. Our inverter is hooked directly to our batteries so the 12 volt feed is going into the inverter and the 120 volt output is going directly to the fridge. Not sure how anything could interfere with the truck's charging line. That would almost defeat the purpose of having an inverter, especially for us as we rarely are without hookups and really only need the inverter to run the fridge while on the road. We have a 1000w pure sine wave inverter that does a super job. Even after a 12 hour day on the road our 2 6 volt batteries are still producing over 12 volts.

It will soon be 2 years since we sold our HR dp and ordered our Excel and truck. Best move we ever made and couldn't be happier. No more semi sized drivetrain, chassis and tires to worry about, maintain and service. Anything that needed done also had a super sized price tag. The wife does still miss the freedom she, not me, had while going down the road. Once we get there it all evens out.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:02 PM   #12

Gator67,
Why not call HR and ask them what they meant by what the manual says?
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 AM   #13

New Horizons Owners Club
Tumble weed
We still have our 2006, but have started looking. We will be in Chanute in February to have some work done at the factory before the Snow birds start heading thru.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #14

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
If you have questions about what you read in the owners manuals, call the manufacturer and ask.