Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2006, 06:16 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Tom

When you have problems unhitching it might be because you have pressure on the hitch jaws. Try moving the truck back just a bit to release the pressure on the jaws. Works for me.

By the way, some places (camping world, I don't know about rv upgrades) have a level called a memory level that you set when you unhitch and when you get ready to hitch back up you just raise the trailer till the bubble is level with where you set it and you're good to go. Saves playing with the height when hitching.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #16

Thor Owners Club
thanks Tom, i'll look into that level, will be a nice "after Christmas" gift to me, lol.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #17

On occasion my hitch will not allow me to open it. The problem is that the locking bar in my hitch is hard up against the pin and will not move. I get in the truck and back up about an 1/8th inch, which releases the pressure so I can open the hitch. To assist in hook up and unhitching we developed a check off list which we use every time. We have had the trailer for 7 years and put over 60,000 miles on the trailer. When we started using the trailer I would have Karain stand behind the truck and be ready to lift the tailgate if it might hit the trailer. It frightened her to do this, so I added another step to the check off to remove the tailgate and get her out of the hook up proceedure.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I did have a slight problem "unhitching" lol, the handle didnt want to unlatched, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once I get the trailer exactly where I want it and the landing jacks lowered, I have my wife get in the truck, put it in neutral and have her take her foot off the brakes. This take any pressure off the kingpin whether it is the front, or rear of the jaws. Works every time.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #19
Ryq

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cwsoules:
On occasion my hitch will not allow me to open it. The problem is that the locking bar in my hitch is hard up against the pin and will not move. I get in the truck and back up about an 1/8th inch, which releases the pressure so I can open the hitch. To assist in hook up and unhitching we developed a check off list which we use every time. We have had the trailer for 7 years and put over 60,000 miles on the trailer. When we started using the trailer I would have Karain stand behind the truck and be ready to lift the tailgate if it might hit the trailer. It frightened her to do this, so I added another step to the check off to remove the tailgate and get her out of the hook up proceedure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second the idea of a check list. It has been a very helpful tool to avoid forgetting the small stuff. I also reccomend a tag to place on the TV antenna as a reminder that it is up. I also listen to the better half more closely.

00 IH 4700 Stalick Conversion DT530E allison MD 3060
Ryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #20

The nylon plate is great for eliminating greasing the 5er and hitch flat surfaces, but remember you still must grease the pin itself. If you like to read, you'll find several checklists and basic RVing books here. One tip I'll pass along is to use a padlock on your hitch while traveling. About 6 years ago we stopped at a rest stop on I70. Just as we were preparing to resume our traveling I heard a loud thud. Seems this guy about 5 spaces from me pulled off and his 5er dropped on the truck bed. He did not have the hitch padlocked, and he assumed someone had pulled the hitch release handle while they were in the rest stop building. This is yet another good reason to do a walk-around before entering the truck-every time you stop. Welcome to irv2.com! There is a great group of folks here. I've just got to attend the 2007 irv2.com national rally. Think of all the ribbing Richard will get. I've gotta see his chokes!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 03:20 PM   #21

I made a little gadget to get pinbox height correct. I use a string with a magnet on one end & weight on the other. When I un-hook, after moving the truck but before leveling the trailer, I put the magnet on the pinbox so the weight just touches the ground. Leave the magnet in place and put the weight inside the pinbox out of the way. DON'T MOVE THE MAGNET! When ready to hookup, drop the weight, raise/lower the trailer till the weight just touches the ground and the height will be correct for hooking up.

Carri -- '05 Carri-Lite 36KSQ
Dualy Driver is offline   Reply With Quote