Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
I just bought a fifth wheel trailer 33 ft. and a ford dulley 7.3 desiel. Is there any tips to hooking up and unhooking? thanks
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
I just bought a fifth wheel trailer 33 ft. and a ford dulley 7.3 desiel. Is there any tips to hooking up and unhooking? thanks
Old 12-24-2006, 02:59 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Some highlights that I do:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Trailer wheels cho<span class="ev_code_RED">c</span>ked securely.
<LI>Hitch plate at same height as trailer coupler. (Truck 1/2" higher is OK)
<LI>Try to come in straight, avoid angled couplings.[/list]
Old 12-24-2006, 04:10 AM   #4
Administrator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hitchhiker:
Some highlights that I do:
Trailer wheels choked securely.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How long do you CHOKE your tires Richard and doesn't this take the air out of them?

A little typo sure is fun sometimes....

May<span class="ev_code_RED">B</span>e you'd do better chocking those tires!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 04:59 AM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"><span class="ev_code_RED">Mayre</span> you'd do better chocking those tires!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

'<span class="ev_code_RED">Mayre</span>' you're right, typo's are a blast!

I'll fix mine.
Old 12-24-2006, 05:14 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
thanks Richard for the info, (but aint gonna choke no tires) LOL! j/k Merry christmas to you and your family and happy new years of safe camping!
Old 12-24-2006, 05:32 AM   #7
Administrator Emeritus

Geez....can't see the forest for the trees sometimes.

Guess that shows ya have to be careful what you're typing....

Tom, in all seriousness I hope you never adopt the practice one couple in our camping group used to do....
The wife would stand UNDER and behind the fiver's king pin and direct the husband into place.
Of course he had the tailgate down and one slipped foot could've crusher her.
My late FIL finally convinced them to abandon that practice... WHEW!!

You see some things to remember when you're just sitting under your awning...
Old 12-24-2006, 06:03 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
In addition, while the tires are still "choked" (chocked), lower the trialer onto the truck fuly, until the front landing gear comes about 1/2" off the ground. Now manually trip the trailer brakes and push backwards and insure the hitch is latched. Now pull forward with the trailer brakes engaged and the chocks in place. This test tug is to make sure you have the hitch latched. Set the latch lock and lock it with a pad lock.

Now raise the landing gear fully and you are ready to roll. That is assuming you have the awing, TV antenna, power cor, hoses all secured.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:26 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I set the trailer so the hitch plate is even with or just slightly lower than the hitch, then I back into the pin until I see the lock handle go out and back in, then put the truck in a forward gear and tug slightly, then go back and check the jaws of the hitch to make sure they are closed around the pin, latch the handle and lock it, hook up the trailer plug, then raise the legs and unchock the wheels. Then I turn on the lights and flashers and go back and make sure all the lights are working. While doing this I use it as a last walk around, looking for anything I might have left undone such as antenna still up, storage doors left open, steps not stored, anything not unhooked, any stuff left laying around I forgot to put up, You know, all the gotcha's. I've found that last walk around to be very worth while. Good luck with your trailer.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:20 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Tommy makes a good point and it's something that works no matter what we tow,pull or drag.

I always do a final walk around before pulling out of the campground space,looking high and low.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:27 AM   #11

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
...and always remember to check the <span class="ev_code_RED">h</span>air pressure of all the tires .
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 06:34 PM   #12
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I ran a strip of bright orange duct tape (available at wally world) from the bottom of the pin box extension to the top centered on the box and another strip on my toolbox centered in the middle. I just line the orange stripes up and my hitch is centered on the pin as I back up (saves crushed spouses)I also added a couple of cheap aluminum cabiniers(sp) to my saftey brake cable and raise or lower the 5ver until the bottom caribiner(sp) just touches the ground. This assures that the pin box is at the right height to the hitch.

Don't forget to use one of those round nylon donuts and snap it on your pin before hooking up. This saves having to use messy grease on the hitch.
Old 12-25-2006, 04:26 AM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

Here it is at rvupgrades
Old 12-25-2006, 04:41 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
thanks guys for all the info, I got the nylon donut and it saves all the grease. I hooked up like a pro after you guys advised. And it is easy to see the hitch plate from my truck seat, so wife dont get no where near the trailer while doing this. I did have a slight problem "unhitching" lol, the handle didnt want to unlatched, but I kept easing the trailer up till it was just barely off the truck plate, seems it was just in a little bind. I been camping since 1978, but eith tag-a-long trailers and motorhomes, never a fiver. But I believe we going to really enjoy this fifthwheel. thanks and a merry Christmas!