Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2007, 05:49 AM   #1

My son just purchased a Lakota 2horse trailer with small living quarters in front.
Pulls it with Chev Suburban with Reese Equilizer
hitch..
He is getting some sway in the trailer with the
2mules loaded.
Thinking about the Reese Cam Anti-sway setup.
Quite a bit more expensive than their friction
setup.This is a bumper pull.
Any suggestions
Thanks

2003 36'Travel Supreme 5er36RLQSO
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2007, 05:49 AM   #2

My son just purchased a Lakota 2horse trailer with small living quarters in front.
Pulls it with Chev Suburban with Reese Equilizer
hitch..
He is getting some sway in the trailer with the
2mules loaded.
Thinking about the Reese Cam Anti-sway setup.
Quite a bit more expensive than their friction
setup.This is a bumper pull.
Any suggestions
Thanks

Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 AM   #3

Before spending a lot of money, he needs to hook up and load it as he was traveling and get to a weight scales. Weigh the truck with and without the trailer attached. My suspicion is that he is light on the hitch.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My immediate suspicions would be a light hitch weight. As suggested, he needs to weigh the truck and trailer together and separately. If the hitch weight is not between 10 and 15% of the loaded trailer weight, he needs to shift some load forward. I prefer the hitch weight to be between 12 and 15%.

Which Burb does he have? 1500 or 2500. He might also air his tires up tot he maximum on the side walls. If he has a 1500 (1/2 ton) it may have P series tires on it rater than LT (light truck) tires which have a softer side wall and will contribute to a sway feeling. One easy way to see this is when the trailer is loaded on the truck,stand by the rear bumper and push the truck side ways and see if the truck moves on the suspension or does it rock on the tire sidewalls.

Is the hitch the Equalizer brand or equalizer type? There is a big difference, because the Equalizer brand is a WD and sway control hitch.

Ken
Old 08-02-2007, 09:44 AM   #5

Hope this is not a dupe,lost the original reply
The Burb is 3/4T(3500).Will have to check the tires.I agree he will have to weigh them to see if that is the problem or eliminate it as one.
The only thing in the back is the mules,so I was guessing that it was OK.The 40g water tank is in front with the sleeper/camper.
The hitch is an equilizer type(REESE).It came as part of the trailer deal.
Reese has 2 type of anti-sway attachments:
The cheaper friction and the cam type.
Any ideas on if the cam is almost 3 times better
in cost anyway?

Old 08-02-2007, 09:54 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fuzz:
...The only thing in the back is the mules,so I was guessing that it was OK. The 40g water tank is in front with the sleeper/camper.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
With a 40 gal. water tank up front, in front of the axles, he can add up to 332# to the tongue weight by filling it. To prevent sway, it is important to have 12-15% of the trailer's loaded weight on the tongue. The friction-type anti-sway should be more than adequate if the tongue weight is adequate.

2002 Thor Tahoe 23FBGL TT, 28'
Paul Heuvelhorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
A friction sway control will probably be OK, but I like the Dual Cam HP. Set up correctly, it is rock steady.

With the 3/4 ton Burb, you may need to run the tore pressures up as well as the trailer.

With just the mules in the back, an no supplies up front, you may well be light on the tongue.

Also since this was a horse trailer and you are pulling mules, which tend to be a bit heavier than the normal horse, that may contribute to some of the extra weigh in the rear.

We have some neighbors that have been showing mules for years. They don't go as much as they did in the past, but they have a huge goose neck hitched trailer with living quarters on the front. The trailer has to be at least 36'.

They also have a new baby mule, born in March. Her name is Princess and she is white. She is a real cutie to watch.

Ken
Old 01-25-2008, 05:32 AM   #8

My mother purchased this same horse trailer. It is new to the market. She thought it might be her truck as well. She went out and bought a new Ford 250 4x4 and guess what- SAME PROBLEMS!! She is now in contact with dealer looking for some answers. She has tried everything to no avail. As soon as you pass 60mph- hang on for the sway ride....
Old 01-25-2008, 06:44 AM   #9
CD

FUZZ
In addition to the above, check tires for capacity. A lot ove trailers have barely enough tire capacity, so without max pressure they are overloaded. Some can be overloaded anyway.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:10 AM   #10

Thanks for the replys.Good to hear from other owners of this trailer.
It is perfect for what the boy wants but not any good swaying.
He has put the Reese Cam anit sway bars on it and gotten a 1ton Dodge Dually.It is much better
but it still sways a little.He pulled it about
1600 miles without the mules and it was OK.
He has only pulled it a small amount with the mules and it still sways some.Didn't have any water in the front account of the temps,so that might help.We are starting to think some about the design.Will take a closer look at the tires but as I remember last summer they were adequite.Thanks again

Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 AM   #11
CD

Fuzz
I am betting that the tires are the problem. You should be able to tow it with the dually without sway control although I would use it. I say tires from experience. Some 35+ yrs ago I had a 17' TT that I towed with a HD 1/2 ton. It towed like it was in mud. Above 45 it was wild. The tires were rated for about 300lbs more than the dry weight. They were 530x14 tire (if I remember right) I put on 700/15 6ply LT tire and could tow at 70 with no problem. Be sure the hitch weight is right first.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:01 AM   #12

check the basics like weight of the truck / trailer then hook the ball to the trailer with out the bars and the trailer not on the scale take not of the weights truck by it self , truck with just tounge weight , subtract the two. pull the trailer on to the scale with the truck off , use this number to find 12%~15% as stated above. That number should be very close to the differance hooked up and unladen weights subtracted from each other. Friction antisway is good for 4000 lbs , duel friction antisway is good up to about 8000lbs , I am not really a fan of them but they do work with in those limits. Beyond that the duel cam or hensley arrow or equalizer brand from 8000 lbs+ is really the safe set up . At a bare min a burb needs load range E tires to deal with any trailer over 4000 lbs ,P tires just have to soft of sidewall and help cause sway. The short wheel base of a suburban also is a draw back , long wheelbase extra cab short box truck is about 1 foot long and a crew cab is 2 feet longer, longer wheel base pulling rigs are more stable.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:49 PM   #13

Keep the trailer tires inflated to sidewall maximum to reduce sway and tire roll. This is so vital that Carlisle even says you void the warranty if you don't inflate to sidewall maximum.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:12 AM   #14

Fuzz,
Please contact me at GATORJET@AOL.com. I have had it with this trailer swaying and have contacted a lawyer about a class action lawsuit and would like to discuss your swaying problems. Lakota is aware this problem exists and we as owners need to be contacted about a solution. The more people that come forward, the better off we will be in getting this resolved. I for one am not going to let my horse or me die because of a faulty design of a trailer. It sways because they located the axles too far forward. END OF STORY!