Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2016, 10:50 AM   #1
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,880
How do you jack all 4 wheels off the ground

How do you jack all 4 wheels of a fairly long 5er off the ground? I've done it before and may use 'my' method again in a couple days ---- that is unless others have a better way.

My way - pull the 5er's front wheels up on a couple blocks for a total of ~3 inches high. I then drop the landing gear as far as possible which may even raise the rear pair of wheels off the ground as it did with the last 5er. I then crib, using 4x4 lumber under the frame behind the springs and raise the nose until the front wheels come off the ground. I use my 6 ton jack stands and then lower the front using the landing gear to put some weight on those stands. Once solidly planted, I then lower the rear stabilizers for added safety. These newer 5ers and TTs with Lippert frames just don't feel like they have the same strength as several earlier units we have had so am trying to be a little more cautious then in the past.
__________________

__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2016, 11:00 AM   #2
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,286
Why ?
__________________

__________________
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Why ?
Why is that important?
I need to jack it up with all 4 off the ground to do some work.
__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:08 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Walt Bennett's Avatar
 
Mid Atlantic Campers
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
My way - pull the 5er's front wheels up on a couple blocks for a total of ~3 inches high. I then drop the landing gear as far as possible which may even raise the rear pair of wheels off the ground as it did with the last 5er. I then crib, using 4x4 lumber under the frame behind the springs and raise the nose until the front wheels come off the ground. I use my 6 ton jack stands and then lower the front using the landing gear to put some weight on those stands. Once solidly planted, I then lower the rear stabilizers for added safety. These newer 5ers and TTs with Lippert frames just don't feel like they have the same strength as several earlier units we have had so am trying to be a little more cautious then in the past.
Mine is simpler. Let the nose down so the rear is high. Put a pair of tall jack stands on the frame near the rear. Lift nose w/stabilizers to level (I've two motor Bulldog ones that do this easily). Use my cheap PepBoys floor jack to lift each wheel at the hangers & put jack stands under each - only need a couple of inches & most of the weight is off of them. I usually put jack stands near the front of the basement also as a safety, but probably aren't needed. I've done this three times now - getting new tires, putting on wet bolts, and this year's replacing the brake assemblies. When lubing the wet bolts and wheel bearings, I just use the floor jack to lift each wheel in turn.
__________________
2010 Montana 3665RE, wet bolts, etc.
2006 Ford F350 Diesel Dually, air bags, Softopper, Aeroshild, etc.
Walt Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 01:26 PM   #5
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
Mine is simpler. Let the nose down so the rear is high. Put a pair of tall jack stands on the frame near the rear. Lift nose w/stabilizers to level (I've two motor Bulldog ones that do this easily). Use my cheap PepBoys floor jack to lift each wheel at the hangers & put jack stands under each - only need a couple of inches & most of the weight is off of them. I usually put jack stands near the front of the basement also as a safety, but probably aren't needed. I've done this three times now - getting new tires, putting on wet bolts, and this year's replacing the brake assemblies. When lubing the wet bolts and wheel bearings, I just use the floor jack to lift each wheel in turn.
Sounds like you use jack stands rather then cribbing - but very similar to what I've done in the past. Yes, as far as wheel bearings, a single jack under the spring works well. Wet bolts are waiting their turn
__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:06 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Why is that important?
I need to jack it up with all 4 off the ground to do some work.
Maybe if you specifically answered the guys question you may get a better way of doing things.

I have a good solution but it depends on what you are going to do!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:44 PM   #7
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
Maybe if you specifically answered the guys question you may get a better way of doing things.

I have a good solution but it depends on what you are going to do!
Again, why would that make a bit of difference? I want ALL four wheels off the ground to do some work underneath. Heck, it's possible all I want to do is see if I can spin the wheels by hand

But, since you asked, a MORryde/Dexter wet bolt installation, raise the trailer 1" with a machined aluminum block, replace the 1/2" u-bolts and plate with 1" longer 9/16" and install three MORryde X-Factor kits on the spring hangers .
__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,885
In that case, you really only need one wheel off the ground at a time... Easier/safer that way.. :-)
__________________
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
How do you jack all 4 wheels of a fairly long 5er off the ground? I've done it before and may use 'my' method again in a couple days ---- that is unless others have a better way.
LOL ...ask a straight forward simple question on a rv web is always a hoot.

I have lots of cut to lengths RR ties and 5"x 8" and 5"x 5" treated stuff for cribbing left over when I had several trailers on the road. I never knew when one of my drivers would have a trailer broke down a hour away or 600 miles from home.
I use several ways to raise the trailer all depending on if I'm at home on a concrete pad or a dirt/gravel surface not at home or mud in a muddy construction worksite.

For the RV at home I prefer to lower the landing gear and add cribbing back behind the spring hangers where they don't interfere with work to be done. I stack all my cribbing at 45 degrees to the frame rails and in opposite direction to each other. Then raise the landing gear till the tires come off the surface. Then add same type cribbing in front some where out of the way.

Now the unit is stable even in high wind condition.

I have the jacks and cribbing and jacks and have done this dozens of times so its easier for my use.
__________________
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:18 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 591
I'm doing the mor ryde wet bolts this weekend and plan to use my level up hydros to get the wheels up and off...put 6 ton jack stands under there for safety but if it can level it with all wheels off the ground for weeks and months on end (storage), should work fine
__________________
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:20 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
shane wood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsum2 View Post
I'm doing the mor ryde wet bolts this weekend and plan to use my level up hydros to get the wheels up and off...put 6 ton jack stands under there for safety but if it can level it with all wheels off the ground for weeks and months on end (storage), should work fine
I use my 6 point leveling to lift the trailer and put jack stands under the axles for security
__________________
2015 3500 Denali DRW
Pushed by 2015 Redwood 36RL Loaded
shane wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #12
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,880
Those that have 6 point leveling - sounds like a good plan. We opted to not spend the 3-5K bucks for that convenience but to buy more 5er instead.

It sounds as though the 'drop the nose, add cribbing' behind the springs and raise the front is a reasonable way to get the wheels off the ground - and how I will again do this part of the project. Thanks to those that confirmed that I was on the right track.
__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:49 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
In that case, you really only need one wheel off the ground at a time... Easier/safer that way.. :-)
I have done a lot with just one of these and a floor jack with RV hooked to TV. Simple, quick and safe!

__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 11:26 AM   #14
IC2
Senior Member
 
IC2's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 1,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cummins12V98 View Post
I have done a lot with just one of these and a floor jack with RV hooked to TV. Simple, quick and safe!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
In that case, you really only need one wheel off the ground at a time... Easier/safer that way.. :-)
I do the single wheel of the ground while doing wheel bearings or a tire change. What I'm going to be doing will allow me to do several operations after a single set up instead of multi set ups. I wouldn't even consider a wet bolt project without at least both wheels on one side off the ground . That equalizer could make the project very difficult as it would twist towards the unloaded spring and against the frame - then with the MORryde suspension plus X-Factor, that needs a special wet bolt as well.
__________________

__________________
Dave W along with my DW, Susan and our poodlepups, Callie & Molly,2011 Ford F250 6.7 CCLB, 5er Hitch Option w/B&W Hitch,,Ride Rite air bags, 2014 Montana High Country 343RL (38')
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HWH levelers ... front wheels pick up off ground ctcamper MH-General Discussions & Problems 3 09-04-2011 08:59 PM
Wheels off the ground kdickerson Newmar Owner's Forum 38 06-08-2011 09:20 PM
Can you over extend the air bags...by raising the front wheels off the ground StansCustoms Alpine Coach Owner's Forum 27 12-02-2010 03:05 PM
Leveling, wheels off the ground? GeoRuple Class A Motorhome Discussions 24 08-16-2010 09:45 AM
Jacks raise wheels off ground, good or not? jab862 Fleetwood Products Owner's Forum 11 08-24-2009 07:40 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.