Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #1

How do you repair an awning cut?

I have a 1" long cut in my awning about 3 inches from the trailer wall.
It runs perpendicular to the wall.

Is there a simple way to repair it now to prevent it from getting bigger?

All advice and experiences welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2010, 06:12 PM   #2

I would use clear fingernail polish and then use some awning (clear) tape on top and bottom of the cut.
galangmaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojaveJoe View Post
I have a 1" long cut in my awning about 3 inches from the trailer wall.
It runs perpendicular to the wall.

Is there a simple way to repair it now to prevent it from getting bigger?

All advice and experiences welcome.
Had a tear about the same size which was close to the roller end of my awning. Cleaned both sides of the material with alcohol, let dry and applied heavy duty clear 3M packing tape to both sides of the tear. Worked like a charm. Tape is invisible and has been exposed to weather for several months with no sign of delaming The 3M tape adhesive is super stong
bob109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The awning tape mentioned is very strong and clear.

I like the super glue idea. But, I'd tape one side, then glue the tear on the opposite side, then apply another layer of tape over the glued area.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I used the awning repair tape from CW and it's still holding after a year but I like Wayne's suggested process.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 08:50 PM   #6

We recently bought an 02 Georgetown 325S, which has living room and bedroom slides. The folks we bought it from (the original owners) hadn't been able to use it much for the last 18 months due to medical issues and had parked it on their porperty. It would appear that it was parked with slides out and the living room slide was facing South.

After we'd had it home a few days, DW said "What are these white flakes all over the yard?". We'd had some windy weather. It turned out they were slivers of the plastic material from the slide fabic on the living room topper.

Plans are to have the topper replaced before next season. Meantime a liberal application of white duct tape is keeping things under control. The bedroom slide, on the other side of the rig, is in much better shape, but we'll probably repalce it, too.
frankdamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:33 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two steps..

One tape.. Any decent tape, this is temporary to hold it while step 2 does it's job

Two: Liquid stitch.. There are about a hundred different brands and names for this stuff, "No Sew", "Liquid Sew", "Liquid stich" to name a few.. it is fabric cement and sold in the swing department at department stores like Wall-mart or at fabric stores (Better selection of brands) Like Joan Fabrics.

OPtional to tape is to take a few hand stich loops across the tear, then coat with liquid stick. then let sit for 2 or 3 days with the awning EXTENDED

Another option is a THIN layer of fabric over the seam, also glued down.

If you have to roll it up sooner than planed, scotch tape some wax paper over the patch, at least 3-4 inches past the seam. that way if any glue squeezes out it wont' stick to the next layer in the roll.

Remove was paper when you next extend.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:13 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I use sail tape purchased at West Marine but you can probably get it at any marine supply store or on the internet. Just clean the surface with alcohol, as mentioned. I apply the tape in one continuous piece over and under the awning along the tear. The awning tape is also a good solution.

What ever method you use it is important that there is no residue left on the awning after cleaning or the tape won't stick.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote