Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

How do you upgrade nowadays?

I bought my Jayco Eagle new in 05' and as I'm on my 3rd one, I find it a common occurance to always keep looking at the new rvs and features every year (it's pretty hard not to...)
The first was a Jayco pop up which I had zero problems with and my 2nd was an 18' Shadow Cruiser TT which was horrible so I went back to Jayco for my fifth wheel years later... As I have always kept a fresh look at what's on the market I noticed that alot has changed.
No Carriage, No Teton Homes, No Newmar and SunnyBrook is not showing their luxury line fifth wheel anymore. To me, Jayco is constantly changing their brands which I don't like (it reminds me of Multi-Level Marketing companies that always add new vitamins and discontinue the old to keep sales going...)
On this forum, I've noticed some posts about Jayco's recent cheaper quality and others like Redwood that offers a nice product but not enough time on the market (as well as the Pinnacle)
Obviously it's all opinions but influenced with experience in ownership so what's a great rig to look at? Every dealer I've ever been talks smack about the other companies (of course) which in that respect, they're all cheap The process of upgrading to a more luxury line will most likely take a few years of research, planning, pipe dreaming for me but I'm looking for advice and a few arrows to start with.

EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #2

iRV2 No Limits Club
I have to ask why you feel that you have to upgrade, especially when it's likely to be in reality a downgrade. Our trailer was custom-made with an all aluminum frame and components often supplied by me. I.e. marine LED lights, solar controller and solar panel, Espar diesel heater… I have added things to it such as a Bulfinch gas point in shower point that I imported from the UK, and a MorningStar inverter. All of these components are the best quality I could find in my expectation is that I will be satisfied for many years to come.

There are high-quality manufacturers that build things to be good as they can be and for the most part they avoid yearly changes that are in reality nothing really new. You seldom see complaints about Airstream's and if you want the ultimate in quality construction for off-road look at the website for Kimberly camper in Australia. I use them as the benchmark for quality construction.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Why upgrade if it is serving you well?

Ken
Old 06-01-2012, 03:34 PM   #4

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcatche View Post
I have to ask why you feel that you have to upgrade, especially when it's likely to be in reality a downgrade. Our trailer was custom-made with an all aluminum frame and components often supplied by me. I.e. marine LED lights, solar controller and solar panel, Espar diesel heater… I have added things to it such as a Bulfinch gas point in shower point that I imported from the UK, and a MorningStar inverter. All of these components are the best quality I could find in my expectation is that I will be satisfied for many years to come.

There are high-quality manufacturers that build things to be good as they can be and for the most part they avoid yearly changes that are in reality nothing really new. You seldom see complaints about Airstream's and if you want the ultimate in quality construction for off-road look at the website for Kimberly camper in Australia. I use them as the benchmark for quality construction.
Who built your trailer?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ditto on what everyone else said. We have been looking 3 brands for a new 5er, but we always look to see what flooplan they have that is close to what we already have. Then there is the issue that anything we looked at we would have to give up at least 1/3 of our interior cabinet space. Finally decided why get something new when what we have is serving us just fine. Besides, I know what we have (from a breakdown perspective) whereas buying another (new or nearly new) we risk getting something more problematic.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #6

Good points! We are staying with our current model for a while yet, however, I purchased the fifth wheel before I met my wife. She likes it but I made the mistake of bringing her to a dealership when I was buying some parts...lol. She of course liked the newer nick nacks and eventually wants a new one but we would most likely make that move in a few years when the kids are done with school.
In the past, when I got in the purchase mode I would find a few models, follow the company-packages-upgrades-price-quality etc...before making a move.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Why upgrade? Why not. Why upgrade? Because you can.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Todd, it might be cheaper to let the wife go and keep the old RV.....

ken
Old 06-01-2012, 06:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman
Todd, it might be cheaper to let the wife go and keep the old RV.....

ken
This thread may have to be moved to the "Solo RV'ers" section... LOL!
Old 06-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #10

Lets see, I started with a 62 Apachi tent trailer in 1980, then in 89 to a larger Coleman tent trailer. In 98 to a 27 foot Terry tag along and then in 99 to a 39 foot jayco Designer 5er. We pulled the Jayco across the US 3 times and into Canada 2 times but it was a trailer to use with kids. a huge living room and a gang bathroom. In 2008 we traded it and got a new used quad slide luzury liner because it was just the wife and I. I have never once looked back. Do what you want with your $. Most people are cheap and will not spend $ even on themselves after working for 35 years. We chose to take our kids everywhere with us on those RV adventures and we built a lifetime of memories doing it with our dearest companions... our kids.
My youngest is now 19 and my others through college but we still talk about all the fun we had.
Do what you want to with your $ and buy what you like! Spend it on you and your children. After all, saving it for a lifetime leaves you with a full bank account and memories of scrimping to save it. You can't take it with you. and the kids in a blink are gone. I paid for college for all three children and trailers and trucks to pull them and figured it was the price I pay for having them and to give them what I value. I would do it again in a heartbeat!
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 06-07-2012, 10:08 AM   #11

Quality & Integrity

Hi

There are two business models for manufacturing this type of product.
One is “sales” oriented. Most of the 5-th wheel RV builders in the U.S. come under this heading
The other is “customer” oriented. We have found only three 5-th wheel RV builders in the U.S under this heading

We have looked at all the trailer builders. We have watched many forums to follow the quality of different trailers.

We have found only one where the comments on new trailers are of minimal concern and the manufacturer responded promptly to these items and responded in very timely manner when a new owner of a used 10-year-old trailer requested structural and wiring information.

Any outfit that can produce wiring diagrams with junction box locations and the circuits that are in those junction boxes for a 10 year old trailer has got to be the best.

These trailers are built in the U.S but not in Indiana.

The drawback is only 4 dealers in the U.S. counting the factory.

The next drawback is I am in the process of making a $50,000.00 wire transfer as a down payment on a new 38 ft 5-th wheel presently on the production line.

This trailer will last us the rest of our lives.

3685RE
Old 06-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #12

Question

So what brand did you buy 3685RE??
Old 06-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #13

I'm curious too.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #14

I've been fishing through the web just looking around at some different brands since many shut down or discontinued their 5er line...

I saw one of these at a campground before and they look nice.. I did a search and couldn't find much here about the Continental Coach. Just wondering if anyone has experience with them.
www.forksrv.com