Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2013, 04:53 PM   #15

I have a Class A CDL, but I work part time driving big rigs.
Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #16

I have a Class A CDL for my job which requires the following endorsements. Tanker Hazmat combination, Doubles, Triples. I will always keep my class A
Old 12-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #17

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
I have been self employed driving Tri-axle dump trucks and lighter trailers for years but I only have a Class B CDL.
Merry Christmas 2500HD,

I've held a Class A for 10 years and a Class B 10 years before that. I'm in California, so my info is just of Cali. Info could be similar to PA. Maybe not.

There are differences between B and A (trailer towing weight, etc.), but, the written test seemed similar. If you have endorsements already(air brakes, etc.), then that should be a walk in the park for you. You'll have to re-take the Class C (a shorter version) at that time as part of the 'license upgrade'.

You've got Commercial skill already, just gotta be more careful towing with the added trailer weight.

I'd say go for it. Like Mekanic said 'never know when it might come in handy'.

FYI that might apply to your state DMV, but here, if California, when you take the test, you can add as many endorsements as you want. If you don't add endorsements at the time of your Class A 'upgrade' test, the DMV allows you 1 full year to add as many endorsements as you want without having to re-take the Class A written test, again. If you wait until after a year to add endorsement, you'll have to re-take the Class A and C.

Good luck to you,

Rich
__03 15' Klamath SS w/30hp
r___r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My wife and I both have a class A non-commercial license for the truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
From the State of Pennsylvania DOT website........This is Official and not from some
other State. PA DOT.GOV

Non-commercial Driver's Licenses

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
  • CLASS C (minimum age 16): A Class C driver’s license will be issued to persons 16 years of age or older, who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any vehicles, except those requiring a Class M qualification, and who do not meet the definitions of Class A or Class B. Any firefighter or member of a rescue or emergency squad who is the holder of a Class C driver’s license and who has a certificate of authorization from a fire chief or head of the rescue or emergency squad will be authorized to operate any fire or emergency vehicle registered to that fire department, rescue or emergency squad or municipality(emergency use only). The holder of a Class C license is authorized to drive a motor-driven cycle with an automatic transmission and cylinder capacity of 50 CCs or less or a 3-wheeled motorcycle with an enclosed cab.
  • CLASS M (minimum age 16): A Class M driver’s license will be issued to those persons 16 years of age or older who have demonstrated their ability to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle. If a person is qualified to operate only a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, he/she will be issued a Class M driver’s license. If you test on a motor-driven cycle, an "8" restriction will appear on your driver’s license. This restriction prohibits you from operating a motorcycle. If you test on a 3-wheeled motorcycle, a "9" restriction will appear on your driver’s license. This restriction prohibits you from operating a 2-wheeled motorcycle. Pennsylvania Motorcycle Operator’s Manual (PUB 147) or the Mopeds, Motor-Driver Cycles and Motorcycles Fact Sheet located on PennDOT’s Driver and Vehicle Services website in the Motorcycle Information Center.
This is all you need to know.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99-Am.Star View Post
From the State of Pennsylvania DOT website........This is Official and not from some
other State. PA DOT.GOV

Non-commercial Driver's Licenses

• CLASS A (minimum age 18): Required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, where the vehicle(s) being towed is/are in excess of 10,000 pounds. Example: Recreational Vehicle, when the towing vehicle is rated at 11,000 pounds and the vehicle towed is rated at 15,500 pounds (total combination weight of 26,500 pounds).
  • CLASS B (minimum age 18): Required to operate any single vehicle rated in excess of 26,000 pounds. Example: Motor homes rated at 26,001 pounds or more.
  • CLASS C (minimum age 16): A Class C driver’s license will be issued to persons 16 years of age or older, who have demonstrated their qualifications to operate any vehicles, except those requiring a Class M qualification, and who do not meet the definitions of Class A or Class B. Any firefighter or member of a rescue or emergency squad who is the holder of a Class C driver’s license and who has a certificate of authorization from a fire chief or head of the rescue or emergency squad will be authorized to operate any fire or emergency vehicle registered to that fire department, rescue or emergency squad or municipality(emergency use only). The holder of a Class C license is authorized to drive a motor-driven cycle with an automatic transmission and cylinder capacity of 50 CCs or less or a 3-wheeled motorcycle with an enclosed cab.
  • CLASS M (minimum age 16): A Class M driver’s license will be issued to those persons 16 years of age or older who have demonstrated their ability to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle. If a person is qualified to operate only a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, he/she will be issued a Class M driver’s license. If you test on a motor-driven cycle, an "8" restriction will appear on your driver’s license. This restriction prohibits you from operating a motorcycle. If you test on a 3-wheeled motorcycle, a "9" restriction will appear on your driver’s license. This restriction prohibits you from operating a 2-wheeled motorcycle. Pennsylvania Motorcycle Operator’s Manual (PUB 147) or the Mopeds, Motor-Driver Cycles and Motorcycles Fact Sheet located on PennDOT’s Driver and Vehicle Services website in the Motorcycle Information Center.
This is all you need to know.
Thanks I appreciate everyones input. I picked up the CDL book the other day and I will start studying it. I guess getting the license is the only logical way to go if I want a bigger trailer. Funny thing is out TT weighs 9,000lbs ready to camp. Any mid range/mid sized 5th wheel is gonna be way over the 10,000 mark. I really already knew I was going to have to get the class A I just didnt want to come to terms with it. Thanks again all
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #21

Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_28602
I am a drivers license examiner in NC. If your trailer weighs more than 10,000 and the combo of the trailer and the truck are more than 26,000 you have to have a "classified" A but not a CDL A.

Any questions just PM me!
Jeff_28602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:16 AM   #22

Is it trailer over 10k GVWR AND over 26k GCWR or trailer OR combo? I read it as or.
Also, you mean weight ratings right, not actual trailer weight? That's how it should be.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
In Michigan we have a recreational endorsement on our operators license. The only rv'ers who need it are double trailer haulers. 1st trailer must be a 5er not a TT.
So...pickup, 5er, trailer.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:45 PM   #24

Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff_28602
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Is it trailer over 10k GVWR AND over 26k GCWR or trailer OR combo? I read it as or.
Also, you mean weight ratings right, not actual trailer weight? That's how it should be.
If the trailer GVWR is more than 10,000 add it to GVWR of the tow vehicle. If the total of the two is more than 26,000 you need a classified license. (Non-CDL)
Jeff_28602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 01:21 AM   #25

I'm licensed in Tx. I have a Class A CDL. I just had it renewed without having to get a physical for a medical card. It just restricts me from driving for hire. I told them I didn't need it,...at least at this point in time.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg-limo View Post
I'm licensed in Tx. I have a Class A CDL. I just had it renewed without having to get a physical for a medical card. It just restricts me from driving for hire. I told them I didn't need it,...at least at this point in time.
Come Jan. 2014 if you do not have a current medical on file with Texas DPS your CDL will be dropped. If you want it back you will have to start fresh and retake all test and a new road test.
srx-6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #27

im with you kewl I do the same thing
coolhand108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 05:51 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Happening in all states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by srx-6 View Post
Come Jan. 2014 if you do not have a current medical on file with Texas DPS your CDL will be dropped. If you want it back you will have to start fresh and retake all test and a new road test.
The same thing happen to me this summer in Pa. , I have a CDL w/current medical card, Pa. sent out a form and I had to send a photo copy of both sides of my medical card in to the state and refusal to do so would end up with your CDL license being revoked. I believe from now on when I get my yearly physical and receive my medical card the doctor will have to mail proof in to the state or maybe I will, I did not look in to it yet.
Update: http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/registratio...eral-info.aspx

Tags
class a