Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
How much storage do you need?

So, I thought I had a 5th wheel purchased and then the day before I go to pick it up, the deal fell through. So, I'm back in the hunt again.

I'm not on a big budget. I'm looking for a summer camping rig. 27 - 30 feet, a big slide with bunks.

I'm not finding a lot, but they are out there and I'll keep looking.

The latest one is a 1999 Mallard 27.5 foot. My wife is really concerned that there won't be enough interior storage.

Does anyone know these models? It seems as soon as you add a big slide, you eliminate cabinet space. . .

Anybody with old trailers care to comment?

KPSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
What I have found is that the more storage I have the more stuff my wife wants to take with us, and 3/4 of it we won't use. There are cabinets that I won't open, because if I move one thing everything may fall out.(well maybe it isn't that bad.)

Steve and Linda
Miami Co. Kansas
2009 Heartland Big Horn 3670RL
SLJKansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In 2005 we did a three month trip around the country in our new class A. We were loaded to the gills.

In a couple weeks we are headed out for another three month trip. I've got empty space in my cargo bays and our interior storage has lots of space available.

After many trips we found that a lot of the stuff we were packing around never got used and that if you really need something and you didn't bring it.....there's a Walmart everywhere.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
When it comes to full-time living in a RV, you need as much storage for ALL of the stuff you want to have, need or keep.

I have every nook and cranny filled in my coach and also haul a 30 foot garage behind me.

For the casual camper or weekender, it's about enjoying the moment and the convenience, not necessarily having everything you own along for the ride.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #5
There is only so much space in a 27-30 footer. Lots of good advice above, enjoy the vacation, leave the "stuff" at home. We went all over the country with 11-1/2 foot slide on. We took all the "stuff" that would fit, then it was 32 foot fifth, then 36 foot fifth and now 40 foot fifth with massive truck and storage. Yea, they had and have "stuff" in them, but in reality all we ever needed that was essential fit in that 11-1/2 footer. There is crap in that 40 footer basement that I haven't taken out in years.
If you are fulltiming that's different, but not for summer vacations.

hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote