Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2013, 07:08 PM   #1

How often do you check your brakes for wear?

These pictures are of an old set of brake shoes I removed yesterday 2/7/2013.

They are 3 Ĺ years old and have 30,000 miles on them..

On this one 40 % of its lining remains. The new shoe is on the left side.

On this one 50 % of its lining remains. The new shoe is on the left side.

Here you see the shoe with the short lining. Look at the heat checks. Also note that the after market shoes have the same sizes lining on the front and rear shoes. The new shoe is on the bottom.

This is the shoe with the long lining. It doesnít show the heat checks. The new shoe is on the bottom.

3665RE

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:21 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks like you caught them before metal on metal, saving having to turn the drums. Brake shoes are cheap enough (especially if you're changing them yourself) to replace at this point. I'd wait another 30,000 miles to check again, unless you get into a bunch of mountain passes or other conditions that could wear the brakes faster than the first 30,000 miles. If you extend the inspection time, you run the risk of wearing down the linings and scoring the drums.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Looks like you caught them before metal on metal, saving having to turn the drums. Brake shoes are cheap enough (especially if you're changing them yourself) to replace at this point. I'd wait another 30,000 miles to check again, unless you get into a bunch of mountain passes or other conditions that could wear the brakes faster than the first 30,000 miles. If you extend the inspection time, you run the risk of wearing down the linings and scoring the drums.

Hi

We went thru both the Rocky Mountains and the Smoky Mountains several times. Thatís the reason for the heat checks on the short lining we donít have an engine break.

They still had a fair amount of lining I could have gotten an additional 15,000 miles without metal to metal.

Besides the long trips 6 to 8 months every couple of years we do about 400 miles a month when we are in Florida. The summer travels would be more frequent but I canít even give this place away.

3665RE
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
It is a good idea to repack the wheel bearings annually, and also inspect the brake linings, drums and magnets. I usually change the whole backing plate and all when changing the linings on an electric brake. this gives you a properly set new magnet and all new hardware. On my last trailer, I found a broken adjuster 1 year, and broken spring on another wheel the next year. It is also a good chance to adjust the brakes and check the spring shackles and springs while the wheels are off.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
It is a good idea to repack the wheel bearings annually, and also inspect the brake linings, drums and magnets. It is also a good chance to adjust the brakes and check the spring shackles and springs while the wheels are off.
Frank

Hello Franka548

That is good advice.

However I put 20,000 miles on my trailer in the summer of 2010. I don’t use self-adjusting brakes because I can spot leaking grease seal or broken adjuster when I manual adjust the brakes. Also by using the adjusting tool to move the shoes forward and backward before adjusting you can tell if you have a damaged shoe. By listing to the brake system after adjustment by rotating the tire while holding the shoes to the front and then doing the same to the back you can tell if you have a lining problem by the sound. Then have someone hold the break controller on and make sure the brake is working.

I adjusted the brakes in Napa Valley California then again in Spokane Washington and the last time in Tennessee before going over the mountains in to Georgia and the Carolinas.

Operated a bout 3,000 miles a year on mostly flat roads in the southern portion of the US.

The pictures are what I had after 30,000 miles and 3 years. The wheel bearings are in very good condition. Considering I don’t have an engine brake and pulled that trailer across the Rockies west bound and then east bound and zigzag thru the Smokes getting into Tennessee I don’t see a need to look at the bearings any more than at break repair under theses conditions.

Again if the trailer sits for the winter and is only used during the summer for a few months then the annual bearing and break inspection is a must.

3665RE
Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
3665RE,
That is good that you take care of your brakes that well, most people don't. Also, Dexter axle recommends that you repack the bearings every 12,000 miles or annually whichever comes first. On my old 5er, I found my equalizers and shackles almost worn through, I bought the unit used and was changing the shakles and equalizers to the bronze bushings with greasable pins, and the rubber bumper equalizer. With as many miles as you are putting on, keep an eye on your spring hardware and pins, they do wear.
Frank
Old 02-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #7

Quote:
3665RE,
With as many miles as you are putting on, keep an eye on your spring hardware and pins, they do wear.
Frank
As this discussion was about breaks and I agree that would include the wheel bearing because you cant get to the breaks without removing at least one wheel bearing I didn’t mention how many time I have repaired the frame which is manufactured by Lippert not Dexter!

I have also had 3 sets of front legs to replace and they are Lippert as well.

I also put the “wet bolt” and “X factor” Mor/ryde kits on the trailer at 3,000 miles. I have changed the wet bolt bushings one time in 27,000 miles Repaired spring hangers one time and strapped a broken frame aft of the rear axel one time. This is considered normal for a Lippert frame so I didn’t mention it.

Please remember I purchased the lowest of the low-end trailers.

3665RE
Old 02-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to change the subject on you, I have disk brakes on my present 5er and love them, both for stopping power and ease of maintenance, take the wheel off, and pull a pin and the shoes slide out. the calipers split taking 4 bolts out, so they are easy to use.
Frank
Old 02-20-2013, 05:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Sorry to change the subject on you, I have disk brakes on my present 5er and love them, both for stopping power and ease of maintenance, take the wheel off, and pull a pin and the shoes slide out. the calipers split taking 4 bolts out, so they are easy to use.
Frank

Hi

No need of an apology.

I just forgot that all of us are operating 15,909 GWR trailers with a poor frame under it.

You are very correct. The frame is so poorly designed that I check my spring hangers at every stop.

3665RE

Tags
brakes