Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2013, 07:10 AM   #15

Hi

Unfortunately I purchased the very lowest of the low-end trailers. I now have as much in it as I would have paid for a high-end trailer because the manufacturer didnít stand behind their warranty.

Every time I call one of the manufacturers of equipment like tires, axels, suspension etc they all make the same statement ď thatís is not the unit we recommended for that type of trailerĒ.

When it came to Dexter they made the same statement. The brakes on this trailer are DOT legal but not what Dexter recommends for this type of trailer.

For this reason I would not expect any one to check temps of the hubs by hand after coming down a mountain. My brakes get way to hot when in the mountains but because they are marginal I donít worry about that.

The first 20 miles is normally on relatively flat ground. If they are so hot you canít hold your finger in the location I have pointed out then find out what is wrong before going any further.

In my case I grew up in my fathers heavy equipment shop. I donít recommend just putting your finger on the wheel. If you get it close and find it hot then use something else like a little water to see if it boils when you splash a little on the wheel.

I keep forgetting that we are now in a generation that seems to have a total lack of common sense. LOL

3665RE

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
Hi

I keep forgetting that we are now in a generation that seems to have a total lack of common sense. LOL

3665RE
Ha! My grandpa used to say that a lot! Also that the whole world was going to "hell in a hand-basket". But Nixon was president then, so go figure.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #17

Libero, I will research your query on another forum, I believe that was mentioned.

Windcrasher, we should be able to get an answer on that as well.

Re me and 375 f, i think that temp was low, more like 600 - 700 but I may be wrong. The NASCAR boys brakes glow red at night, so they must be a lot hotter than that.

IR guns are used by the racing boys to test for a dead cylinder, it is cooler than the ones firing.
for those still using fingers, 2nd skin and a cold pack are helpful anf get a voice activated phone as you will run out of fingers to push those tiny buttons.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #18

Scout1947.

Thanks, I did a search in irv2 and did not find anything relevant to axel/brake heat sensors, It seems kike such an obvious thing to do. Also searched google but did not come up with much that would alert the driver if wheels were getting too hot.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
What would a "normal" interval for checking or replacing the shoes.
I checked mine every year when I did the major springtime maintenance before the first trip of the year. That's when I repacked the wheel bearings on the trailer, and while I had it apart to repack the wheel bearings, I checked the brake shoes.

If you know how to drive and you use the trailer brakes sparingly, then the trailer brake shoes on magnetic brakes should last about the same as the drum brake shoes on a car. In my case, I had an exhaust brake on the tow vehicle, so I rarely had to use the trailer brakes when coming down the mountain. Last time I checked the OEM trailer brakes, they were 10 years old with about 100,000 miles of towing on them, and they still had plenty of pad left.

But if you use the trailer brakes a lot, they will wear out in a hurry. Check them once a year until about half the brake shoes are worn off, then either replace the brake shoes or check them every few thousand miles. Don't let the pads wear down to even close to the brake drums, or you'll be replacing the drums and maybe the entire magnetic brake system.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
I have TPMS sensors on all wheels, (including my toad now after I had a front tire blow off) and while they have a temperature component, I doubt they would alert me to a brake or bearing problem. (maybe but just not certain of that) I have only received low pressure alerts with the TPMS.
EDITED:
I have a -507 system, and had a complete hub bearing failure last year on a small utility trailer (~3000 lbs.). Fortunately, it did not require a complete new axle, but only a hub and bearings.

There was not a hint from the TPMS of what was going on, and it was just good fortune that had me detect it in time.

TPMS is very good for pressures, but the temperature part of the system isn't of any value unless the sensors are the internal type.

Mine are external.

I also periodically use my cheap, Harbor Freight IR thermometer on tires and hubs, but find it especially valuable for determining differential temperatures.

Pop
Old 02-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerPop View Post

I have a -507 system, and had a complete hub bearing failure last year on a small utility trailer that fortunately did not require a complete new axle, but only a hub and bearings.

There was not a hint from the TPMS of what was going on, and it was just good fortune that had me detect it in time.

TPMS is very good for pressures, but the temperature part of the system isn't of any value unless the sensors are mounted internally. Mine are external.

Pop
I have been warning people here and on other forums that any TPMS with external valve stem sensors that they are being fooled into believing the TEMP readings from their sensors are accurate enough to give them worthwhile information.

You have verified my beliefs!

In conjunction with my TPMS, I use a handheld Laser guided IR temp gun to take temps of all tires and hubs as I walk around the rig. That's the very first thing I do when stopping and I do it at every stop. Measure the tire a few inches down the sidewall from the tread and pick a convenient location on the wheel or hub to measure those. You are looking for something that stands out WELL above all of the others.

It gives me some exercise and allows me to stretch before heading to the restrooms.

This technique has worked for me over the past 30,000 miles.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #22

You quoted me before I edited my post above yours.

Note some changes and additions.

Pop
Old 02-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #23

I keep one of these on my keyring:

fisherSci.com - TRACEABLE IR KYCHN THERMOM EA
Old 02-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #24

I looked at that keyring system re the "link" It measures from -22 to 110C. I would think a hot hub from a bad bearing or hot brakes would be greater than110C. (230F) But if the hub measured 110C I would investigate further for certain.

I check tires, tow rig etc everytime I stop, even though I have TPMS on every wheel, but I would like to be alerted of an overheat while rolling, still looking for that capability.

I suppose smoke or fire might alert one while rolling, but I would prefer a warning before things got to that stage.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #25

To be honest, neither the keychain nor the handheld lazer unit I travel with have read temps that high after all day driving.

We use the keychain units in our laboratory at work for spot checking because they are cheap and more importantly they are traceable to NIST standards. I'm sure it reads higher temps, but just isn't "traceable" at higher temps. I'll point it at a hot plate and see what it does.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Probably the most compelling reason for using such a primitive method as an ungloved hand is to avoid looking like an RV driver who was given a new toy for christmas.

;-)))

But to get back to serious. Those using an IR gun - What temperatures of tyres and hubs are high enough to get concerned, and what information sources did you rely on to use those particular temperatures??
I don't look for a particular temperature. I look for one wheel to be consistently higher in temperature than the others. The temps will very from tire to tire due to sun, wind and exhaust.

When buying an IR gun make sure it has a red, or any color, laser beam that you put on the object you are measuring. You'll be surprised how temperatures can vary from spot to spot.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM   #27

My IR gun from Harbor Freight works great. I am an amature chef and love it around the kitchen also. About brakes, the magnets do go bad. Should be checked by sliding wheels with full 12volt power on dirt at low low speed. If one doesn't slide, better check deeper. Also a good way to check for adjustment. As for hub caps, shame on you! Hard to see a loose lug nut through a hub cap. They should be outlawed.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:48 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libero View Post
Scout1947.

Thanks, I did a search in irv2 and did not find anything relevant to axel/brake heat sensors, It seems kike such an obvious thing to do. Also searched google but did not come up with much that would alert the driver if wheels were getting too hot.
I don't know if we are allowed to mention other forums but it was the Escapees discussion forum the topic was covered in either 'general discussions' or 'HDT'

What is an amature chef. Do you cook duckk?

Tony....just kidding, all in fun

I also check tires and wheels looking for a spike in temps.