Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2018, 04:40 AM   #1

How old is old

Hi, been reading posts for a while as we are mentally set on full timing when I retire in 3 years. Picking out the right 5er and truck which we are doing now, is a daunting decision. We’ve done lots of camping and for extended times over the years but have not owned a rig so this is all new. Still we are excited and will be more excited to leave the maintenance, taxes, etc of owning a sticks and bricks.

Here’s the question though. How long can one realistically keep up with 5th wheel trailering? How much work is it as the years go on? I’m a hands on remodeling contractor in good physical shape, my wife is retired and a few years older. We would like to plan on spending at least 8-10 years of more following 70degree temps. If I retire at 66... well the math is easy there.

In looking for rigs, I see adds by private sellers who say they are packing it in and selling. I know everything is contingent on health and circumstance but just curious on how old some of you are and how long you are planning on going forward and actively moving around the country. You guys know the work involved and are better able to give me some feedback. Thanks
Projectman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2018, 04:53 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Search "Age and RV'ing" which asked the same question a month ago.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 04:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ultimately there is no easy or set answer to your question, it's all on you to decide when it becomes 'too much' based on any of a number of factors all of which are unique to you and your situation.
Go out, have fun, quit when it becomes time to do so.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:27 AM   #4

Thanks manwithnorv Will check that out.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:45 PM   #5

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It depends and depends more. Some folks are over the hill by their mid 60's while others are still going strong into their 80's. I think its as much mental as physical and monetary. What you do and how you get the RVing tasks done may change as you gain "experience".

Just get out there and have fun until you know when its time to hang it up. Different for all of us, don't get hung up on some metrics.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:51 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Met a fellow last winter who was 98. He had slowed down but was still in his RV. I think he is permanent.
Old 04-30-2018, 06:03 PM   #7

One can look at the life span of THEIR parents and grandparents to get an idea of what to expect for their 'expiration' date............to a degree

BUT there are NO dates stamped on the bottom of our feet when born so............one does what they can for as long as they can

The alternative(s) are pitiful

We FTd for 7 wonderful/glorious years
Life threw a curve ball and we had to change our plans.
SO thankful we got to travel for those 7 yrs.......what a lifestyle/adventure.

Miss it but hey we got to do it!!

Don't dwell on the what ifs.........go for it and make memories ASAP
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:02 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I like this advise, Old Biscuit....but I'm not sure I've ever checked the bottom of my feet. Now I'm afraid to look.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #9

Trick is to make as many things as you can remote operated.......and any switch that's out in the weather, put it in a box (compartment).....just keep key fob batteries on hand....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 04:26 AM   #10

All good advice here. Definitely how I feel but my DW was getting a bit nervous as to how long we could do this and told her I would put it out there. We both have good health and family longevity on our side and I’m still slim, trim and handsome( well at least in my 18 yr old mind). As old biscuit has said, life always throws curveballs and nothing is certain. Thanks for sharing. It’s making me even more excited
Old 05-01-2018, 04:31 AM   #11

Spent some time in Quartzite this January and there were definitely some older folks doing quite well and moving some big rigs. They did seem to be Class A’s though. Just wondering if the 5ers might have become too much work.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:45 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All of us age differently so there is no answer.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:03 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Projectman View Post
Spent some time in Quartzite this January and there were definitely some older folks doing quite well and moving some big rigs. They did seem to be Class A’s though. Just wondering if the 5ers might have become too much work.
This is a good question. Hope someone will weigh in. Do older RV'ers migrate to Class A due to fifth wheels being much more difficult to maintain or set up?
Old 05-01-2018, 06:30 AM   #14

^^^^^^^^
We “migrated” to a class A from small trailers, and skipped the 5-ers.
There is nothing easier for traveling than simply pushing the leveling button and hooking up the power cable.
We can do 7 nights with onboard water and the black/grey tanks. Fill/dump and continue the journey!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote