Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 AM   #1
We have some neighbors that want to buy their first 5th wheel. They know their towing/weight limits and would like to buy used on a limited budget.

They have looked at several older units, but want to know: "How old is too Old?"

Me & Hubby

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
We have some neighbors that want to buy their first 5th wheel. They know their towing/weight limits and would like to buy used on a limited budget.

They have looked at several older units, but want to know: "How old is too Old?"

Me & Hubby

2 Boys
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Interesting question. I have also wondered this.

I would guess by looking at the wear and tear. Kind of like looking at a older car.

'07 Greyhawk 33DS, Kodiak Chassis, all the options
Doug & Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:29 PM   #4
Send a message via MSN to FatDog
You don't mention a price, so your question really is one of: "How old is too old?" not "is it worth it?"
Have your neighbor look at the 'Vintage Rv' section of this forum. There are a lot of mid '70's (and older) trailers bing used and cared for. It is a good opportunity for a limited budget but like any used purchase they have to examine it first.
In my signature I have a '63 motorcycle that drives like the day it was ridden off the assembly line. It wants a little attention from me and a wrench or two, but if it wasn't abused it is good for taking.
F350 PSD 4x4 SRW, BanksBrake, FOX res shocks, MagHytec, DP tuner, JohnWood tranny;
'63 hog; ChrisCraft Launch VP8.1 ;
3 hound dogs
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 04:11 PM   #5
The older it is the more it will weight. BAck then they did not know about "lite weight" TT or 5ers. Also there is a chance their is hidden water damage. MAke sure they feel the paneling around every window, door. If it "gives" ==water Check the compartments to see if they see water damage. Walk on every inch of the floor. Soft spots mean water damage there. Check the tub to make sure no cracks. Trust me. We bought a 1971 trailer in 1985. Larry tore up floor and replaced it and we had a terrible crack in the shower floor Good luck to them.
Sue <><

DH (Larry) <><
Allegro Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 PM   #6
As much as the newer coaches are just flat out fantastic, there is much to be said about older ones. I have a 1995 37' WW Cal Classic that we paid $20,500 for in 2001 (booked @ almost $28k at the time), and after some major mods that I just liked to have (nothing really pressing, but capacity was key), it's still worth that today.

First RV was a 1977 29ft Holiday Rambler that is still traveling the road today- I bought it from a friend, who bought it from a friend, and I sold it to a friend for what all of us paid for it- $3000. Everyone throughly enjoyed it, but needed to "move up"- toys just inherently need Toyboxes.

BTW...my 1995 is for sale...check rvtrader.com for it...we just ordered a WW SLC3905 due in June. Everything works, space is NOT an issue (PLENTY room for toys), and we just needed more room and caps for a Jeep ( as well as all the 2006 goodies).

Just like they say...no matter what you get, new or old, it's a black hole in the middle of the desert/campground that you pour money into...just like a boat!
WWFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:14 AM   #7
3 years ago I bought a 78 30' Wilderness for $900 and put about another $500 in to it and have pulled it all over and never had a problem. I did do some major work on it but still was under what I had found as for used 5er's. BTW my 5er and truck weigh less than most 5er's today. My truck weights 6600 lb's and mt total combo weigts 12,480lb's.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It
JRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #8
Hi. Check out our older TT. It's a 1971 that even before the repairs we made to it it was very well kept to be as old as it is. There are still older ones out there available only needing small repairs and or updating. I'm not saying they should buy one as old as ours mind you even though we don't regret it. I think they could find some really nice ones in the 5 to 10 year old range that wouldn't break the bank.
Boog n Becky

1971 Redman Roadliner,sold 10/22/05
Boog n Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #9
Depends on how much the rig has weathered the time Its like a house if the roof was good all the time no leaks the chances are its got plenty time left .One thing money should be put in to new tires ,and brakes if needed rubber hoses, up date of seals ,just general maint items. A good inspection is a must. Try before you buy if possible. All vehicles run on used parts.Every on the road vehicle is used. Some just newer. Skipper entry level over fifty years
99 DCTD 3500 PAC-Brake Line x 5spd guages SW- EGT,Boost,FP
95 American Star 5th w/ 1 slide.
skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 07:03 PM   #10
An RV salesman told us it's condition, condition, condition. The biggest thing to worry about is rot, second IMO is the appliances. RV appliances such as the fridge are expensive to repair or replace and there may not be parts available for some of the older stuff so make sure they are in good working order.

I like some of the older stuff. A guy I know has an older Empress Class A MH that he keeps in pristine condition. I'm not a Class A type but it gives me a kick to see that thing.

Wilber1 is offline   Reply With Quote