Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 04:56 AM   #15

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseljeeper View Post
Generally the hitch can handle a much larger load than the truck can, the axle weight is what will get you a ticket.
Really, a ticket?

Like a police citation?

Has this happened to you?

Quit promoting the myth that it's illegal.

Maybe stupid, but you won't get a ticket.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
I pulled just far enough onto the scale so that just the landing gear could be lowered onto the scale. Unfortunately, and glad I didn't, I didn't have the toys in the 5'er when I weighed it. Without the toys, have a 3240 weight on the jacks.
Not a accurate way to get a pin weight, the landing gear can have quite a bit more weight on them than your pin. As you move back towards the trailer axles, the weight will continue to rise. It is the physics of a lever, one of man's oldest machines. You can actually lower pin weight if you can move the king pin further forward such as using an extended pin box, provided the weight of said pin box does not cancel it out, hypothetically speaking of course. Just think of a long handled shovel vs a short handled one.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:40 PM   #17

Why wouldn't this work? With the trailer hooked up, pull it on to the scales, leaving the trailer wheels on the pavement. The difference between the empty truck weight and the connected truck weight is the pin weight. Think of it like this. My truck weighs a shade under 7,000 pounds when setting on the scales. If I put a 2,500 pound pallet of sod ( it would likely weigh more, but lets go with it) in the bed, the scales are going to show roughly 9,500 pounds. The same would appear to be true if put 2,500 pounds of pin weight in the bed. where am I wrong?
fvstringpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 AM   #18

that is a perfect way to do it
the prior example was weighing the landing gear
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:22 AM   #19

My bad on my response, I spent a long time driving commercial trucks and weight stations did give citations almost always on axle weights. The method suggested by fvstringpicker would be the way to go
Dieseljeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Pull the tow vehicle on to the end of the scales so all four wheels are on. Note the weight.
Raise the trailer using the landing gear (obviously landing gear must be on the ground, not the scales.
Note the weight.
Difference is the pin weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I weighed all of my rig on the first pass, making sure that my truck was on a different part of the scale than the trailer.
Then I pulled off the scale, unhooked my trailer, and went through the scale again with just my truck.
SDCOToyhul
Those are both accurate ways to get your exact "pin weight".
(But ONLY if/when the RV is fully loaded for travel).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
SDCOToyhul
Those are both accurate ways to get your exact "pin weight".
(But ONLY if/when the RV is fully loaded for travel).
And the driver was either in or out of truck in both passes.

Tags
weight