Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

How to haggle with a dealer

We are wanting to purchase a 2018 NorthPoint mid bunk. The dealer MSRP is over $89,000 and they are quoting us an out the door price of $84,000. What tips and tricks do y’all have for haggling?
abbiegabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2018, 06:21 PM   #2

That's only a 5.6% discount. Provided your credit is very high, quote him a 12 to 15% discount and be prepared to walk away if he says no. If he says yes then I add some stipulations. Do a walk around and check EVERYTHING then check inside and make sure all the electrical outlets, drawers, appliances work and are not damaged. If anything is damaged have them fixed BEFORE you take delivery. You don't want to be going back to the dealer over and over.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:24 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

I'd offer $60,000, then walk out the door if they laugh at you. Have you shopped around for the identical model at other dealers? The internet is a strong tool to give you information you can use.

I've bought cars for myself and for young teachers that thought you paid the sticker price. You almost always have to leave at some point. When you return, you can start the negotiations over again. Only deal with written figures, words aren't binding. Try to suppress your feelings, the RV in front of you isn't the only one you'd be happy with, don't let your emotions make you pay more than you need to.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:30 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
You need to eliminate your emotions- Period !
Make an offer and then Walk-Do more research on what you want and need ! You'll find something you like .
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:49 PM   #5

My local dealer has a North point mid bunk for under 64k on their lot. That's their advertised price. They say no haggle pricing
firemailwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 06:55 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemailwv View Post
My local dealer has a North point mid bunk for under 64k on their lot. That's their advertised price. They say no haggle pricing
If it's a fair price, O.K. If you can find it cheaper elsewhere, then offer them a lower price. If they don't want to counteroffer, then take your business to another store.

The 'no haggle' thing is often just to make you think it's the best deal. Real 'no haggle' dealerships don't seem to stay in business too long.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-05-2018, 07:43 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Offer them a fair cash deal. See what they do. If you finance, you're at their mercy, period. If they go along, then the fun starts with PDI.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:07 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Offer them a fair cash deal. See what they do. If you finance, you're at their mercy, period. If they go along, then the fun starts with PDI.
You're at their mercy ONLY if you finance through the dealer, a bad idea in any case in my experience. I know some financial institutions kick-back a % of the loan to the dealership so you think you're getting a good deal, but I always seek my own loans or figure out a way to pay it without the dealer's input. They are happy to talk monthly payments instead of total price, but I refuse to play that game.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-05-2018, 08:24 PM   #9

When I go car shopping, I already have the car and price in my head. I do the following (NOTE: used this same strategy successfully when I bought my trailer):

1. When he greets me, I tell him that buying a car for me is a blood sport. I inform him that I don't want to be friends, or chummy with him, or talk about sports, or the weather. I am here to buy a car.
2. I tell him do not screw around with me and play pricing games. Give my your best bottom-line price. Once. If you have to "check with the manager", go do it now. We are only going to do this once.
3. If I don't like your price, I'm leaving. Goodbye.
4. If after I leave you call me back, my offer will now be $1,000 less than what it originally was. I don't care if I buy the car from you or some other dealer. It doesn't matter to me.

Stick to your guns. I have ALWAYS got the vehicle that I wanted this way.

Remember: somebody out there wants to do business with you.

BTW, I'd start my price at 30% off MSRP.
jim1521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:29 PM   #10

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...LBH-5000852201
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you can't get a minimum of 25% below MSRP tell him to shove it!
Oldelevatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 08:46 AM   #12

The most important part of negotiating is who is in control. It's your money you are in control, you always have the option at anytime to say no. It's not like Jayco didn't build a gabillion "2018 NorthPoint mid bunk".

The internet is the greatest shopping tool, you can literally go all over the country in a matter of minutes looking for your favorite RV.

Facts are the greatest negotiating tool, know what you can get by going someplace else and be willing to do it. If you don't like the deal tell them you are not comfortable with it. Also know about finance and fees. What can you get from your local credit union?

Above all else be in control and be very willing to look elsewhere.

You don't need to be mean or snooty, most RV sales people are good decent people trying to make a living.
Old 03-06-2018, 08:51 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post

Why do you think financing though the dealer puts you at their mercy? Assuming the rates are acceptable, you can benefit from the fact that it creates another source of revenue to the dealer on the transaction so use that as leverage in the negotiation.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:31 AM   #14

Remember they have to sell RV's to stay in business. You don't NEED an RV, you want an RV. Thats why they play the games they do.
Jayco is a high volume MFG and makes a gazillion different units a year. You model is readily available all over the country. They know that. Offer 33% off MSRP and go no lower than 25% off. They can obviously tell that you're not savvy hagglers since they're only offering your a few $1K off MSRP.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer