Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #1

Question How to hang heavy blinds on styrofoam walls?

We are going to replace our day/nite shades which are mounted inside a valance with faux wood 2 1/2" blinds. We are going to remove the valence because the new blinds are too wide/deep to fit inside the valence.

Once the valence is removed, the only place to mount the new hanging brackets is on the wall outside and above the window. At that location, there is only the 1/8 inch panel board and then 2 inches of Styrofoam then the outside fiberglass wall.

The normal mounting is to use two screws into the "wood" header board, which is not used in an (our)RV.

AS these faux wood blinds are very heavy, I would prefer they remain on the wall and not on the floor following our future travel.

What is the best way to fasten them to our Styrofoam walls?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #2

You can try somehow adding a piece of wood with epoxy and then mount the blinds to that. It's hard to see what you are working with without actually seeing it.

al2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:55 PM   #3

Does the wall have any aluminum framing inside it or is it strictly fiberglass/Styrofoam/fiberboard. Mine has aluminum framing and I use a stud finder to locate those and use self tapping screws when I need to hang something heavier.

If not, some sort of strong, permanent epoxy and a wood backer board as al2ride suggests might be the best bet.

Good Luck and let us know what you end up doing and how it works out!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #4

There is metal framing around the window but not where the blind brackets must go. The best location, for appearance, has only 1/8" panel, Styrofoam then fiberglass panel.

The faux blinds are quite heavy which is my concern.

I do think I have an answer from another forum. They suggested mounting a piece of wood (maybe a 1"x4") using ell brackets to the top metal window frame. Allow the wood to extend out to the desired width for the appropriate "appearance" and mount the blind brackets to this piece of wood. It would be like a 4" shelf.

I am going to try that option. I only need to extend about 3-4 inches on either side of the window.

Thanks everyone for Your input. I really appreciate your help and will let you know when I have completed the installation.

Thanks Again,
Randy
Old 05-19-2014, 01:43 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Howabout using a piece of 1x4 wood across the "header " of the window. Use construction adhesive (PL???) and just use two screws to hold the wood in place untill the adhesive sets overnight. Using the adhesive you would be using what structural strength the wall has. You might even be able to stretch the length of the 1x4 to straddle aluminum studs that you could also screw into for extra strength.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #6

Pop Rivets
Old 05-20-2014, 08:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Pop Rivets
Thanks for the thought but I've tried to use pop rivets in my basement. The rivets just pull through the 1/8" paneling and will not bite into the Styrofoam behind.

I am going to try some
1/8ds Drive Wall Anchors

Which someone else has suggested.
Hillman Fastener Corp 1/8ds Drive Wall Anchor : Fasteners
Old 05-20-2014, 09:01 AM   #8

Interesting, I have used them to install coat hangers, towel holders e.t.c. and never had a problem. Have you used aluminum rivets or steel, steel would be way to hard.
Have you drilled the holes at exactly the same diameter as the rivets?
If you do use the wall anchors you refered to then I would lubricate the screw to keep the anchor from spinning out before it can expand and provide a solid grip.

I did a quick Google search and interestingly enough came across this link which hits the nail on the head, so to speak.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Interesting, I have used them to install coat hangers, towel holders e.t.c. and never had a problem. Have you used aluminum rivets or steel, steel would be way to hard.
Have you drilled the holes at exactly the same diameter as the rivets?
If you do use the wall anchors you refered to then I would lubricate the screw to keep the anchor from spinning out before it can expand and provide a solid grip.

I did a quick Google search and interestingly enough came across this link which hits the nail on the head, so to speak.
HOW TO: Hang Things on RV Walls using Pop Rivets - YouTube
Yep, I have the same exact tool and I did use the 3/8" x # 6 aluminum rivets. It seems when the rivet pops it is too late and already punctured the back of the paneling which only leaves about a 1/16" of wood to hold the rivet.

Maybe I am doing something wrong but I have used the pop rivets for many years and uses.

I experimented on a piece of luan, about 1//8" thick and that is how I came to my conclusion.

MY main concern is the weight of those 2" faux wood blinds. When pulling them completely up, that is just a lot of weight and hanging down when traveling would be, well just a lot of weight and I don't want to find them on the floor when we arrive.

Your comment on the expandable is also on target but I found if you press them really firm into the paneling, they do not tend to spin but again, they must be held firmly against the paneling.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:28 AM   #10

If you can't get the rivets to hold than the screws are probably the way to go, there are pro's and con's to both. I just don't trust glue for this application.
John
Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #11

If possible use toggles if you are able to clear out the foam for them to open up. If you go with the 1x4 idea you can use a panel adhesive glue. You will rip the wood apart before the glue fails. Trust me I know from experience as a a commercial carpenter there is a glue for everything.