Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #1

I have a 2 year old.29' Larado 5er. Do you recon there is anyway to put a rack on the rear that would haul a 400+ lb bike?? If you were to tie into the frame with fairly strong material, would it even work?? Or would it change the physicis of everything too much??

Any ideas????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:24 PM   #2

I have a 2 year old.29' Larado 5er. Do you recon there is anyway to put a rack on the rear that would haul a 400+ lb bike?? If you were to tie into the frame with fairly strong material, would it even work?? Or would it change the physicis of everything too much??

Any ideas????

Old 06-30-2007, 04:59 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have looked at this issue everyway possible, and much to my frustration, the answer is no. I have a Goldwing, and wanted to take it with me badly, but in conversations with Forest River, they convinced me that placing anything heavy on the rear of the 5'er would definately change the weight distribution of the pin box, and create all types of problems. It seems that around 150-200 pounds is about all you want to put back there, then you BETTER reinforce the frame by welding.
This can get very expensive, and needs to be done right, as it can throw the whole alignment out of the RV. I thought of pulling the bike with a trailer, but after seeing that the welding and hitch would cost so much, along with the fact that I would not be able to see what I was towing, made it all not worth it.
Sorry that I did not have better news, but I just let you know what I had learned, before I learned it the hard way. Happy RV'ing
Old 06-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #4

That is an ideal response, first-hand experience. Even if expense of welding up everything to tow your bike on a trailer was no problem; you would have to stay out of the many states that require the 2nd trailer to be a boat trailer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 05:07 AM   #5

Thanks for the replys guys. I have welded up a heaver hitch with a 2" reciever on it. I have pulled a small trailer behind the 5er for several thousand miles. It does ok, but when we pulled it last summer, another couple followed us to Colorado, so they could watch the trailer for us. This year, wife and I will be going solo. So, it sounds like the best option is again pulling the trailer, but meybe investing in a rear camera to watch the trailer.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
As the other responder stated, beware of the fact that "many" states have it illegal to double tow. The threat of a $400 plus ticket, having to immediately drop the trailer and find a way to get it moved, does not sound like a good time to me. If I was that serious about bringing the toys with me, then it would be time to buy a toyhauler. Good Luck, and I hope it works out for you.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just taking care of the 400# scooter plus the weight of the hitch and carrying bracket is only a small part of the problem. What will kill you is the dynamics of the load when running down the road. Thing of a 400# plus mass hanging on the end of a rod and shake then start shaking it. The forces generated by the accelerating a decelerating load are several time over the static load. All of these forces are transfered to the attachment points on the frame.

As pointed out when double towing, you need to be aware of the towing restrictions, not only in your home state but also the states where you will travel. Once you start double towing, you will need to meet license requirements and overall lengths in your home state. Out side you will need to meet the towing restrictions in the states you travel through. Some states do not allow double towing at all, some restrict it to the first hitch has to be a 5th wheel and the second trailer is only allowed to be a boat.

Sounds like it is time to look for a toy-hauler.

Ken
Old 07-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Check this out.
http://www.motorcycle-carriers.net/m...vel_wheel.html
Old 07-06-2007, 03:28 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
You better have a LOT of faith in the ONE tire!