RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #1

How to raise 5th wheel to make level?

Need some input from experienced rv folks on how to level out my 36' toy hauler 5th wheel. I went from a ford 1 ton to a ram 1 ton and installed a gooseneck hitch on it. Ram truck bed is higher by 4" and now rv not level. Front tires on the triple axle 5th wheel now skid/lock up when braking hard and wore a big flat patch on the front tires due to not being level. I lowered the gooseneck as far as possible, no change. Put taller tires on trailer which helped a little. Cannot do a axle flip due to axle already under springs. Thought about installing blocks between axle and spring maybe 2 or 3" blocks. RV shop wants big bucks to reweld springs with spacer ( rectangle tubing) between spring mounts and frame. So my question is, has anyone put those axle / spring blocks on their rv without any issues? Seems to be the easiest way to raise rv up 2-3".

td1837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-12-2019, 01:10 PM   #2

Performance Trailer Braking can install them. Put they are very expensive for a good set.

2psnapod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:14 PM   #3

Two choices. First only IF there are adjustment holes in the spring hangers you can move the springs down. Second is way more diffiult, but your only safe choice. Cut the suspension off and weld on a piece of heavy 2 inch box tubing to the frame. Weld new spring hangers in place. Adding blocks is a sure fire way to get into trouble.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:17 PM   #4

As an avid off roader through the years, who also adapted trailers for that kind of adventure, my experience has been that lift blocks can cause serious issues. The spring hangers on your fifth wheel are more than likely already marginal as far as strength on side loads. While it costs more, you really are better off building a braced sub assembly to raise your rig.

One issue that comes to mind on raising your rig is total height of the fifth wheel. They tend to be pretty tall already, especially some toy haulers. Will raising your trailer put you over 136?
Old 10-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #5

How much clearance do you have between the pickup box sides and the fifth wheel nose? I believe 5-6" is acceptable. How about a shorter gooseneck arm or go back to a fifth wheel hitch? Also, why is the Ram so high, is the suspension/tires stock? Crazy fix - You could go with oversized tires on just the front camper axle, but it's best get it level.
grindstone01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:57 PM   #6

LCI Correct Track (alignment kit) not only allows you to check/align your trailer axles BUT it provides for 2" lift of trailer.
Might be the easiest method....2 benefits in 1 and DIY

Need more then that>>>>>
Subframe with cross supports at shackles
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 03:48 PM   #7

This is not really helpful but to know the 2020 F-250 is going to lower than the 2019 because Ford was hearing that the trucks were getting too tall. The F-350 I heard was not any lower, just the F-250.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #8

I noticed bed must be 1-2 taller too. I was able to do a 75-80 degree cut no problem but on 2019 from 2016 only about 60 degree cut any more would hit the bed. Going to do some adjusting on my Blue Ox Hitch to raise it some more.
THEHOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:16 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searching_Ut View Post
As an avid off roader through the years, who also adapted trailers for that kind of adventure, my experience has been that lift blocks can cause serious issues. The spring hangers on your fifth wheel are more than likely already marginal as far as strength on side loads. While it costs more, you really are better off building a braced sub assembly to raise your rig.

One issue that comes to mind on raising your rig is total height of the fifth wheel. They tend to be pretty tall already, especially some toy haulers. Will raising your trailer put you over 136?
Not trying to be a smart a$$. I am actually looking into getting an extra 2-3 inches of lift on mine too. Beside making the rig slightly more top heavy how does blocks negatively impact your springs? I could see if your axle was on top cause you are causing more bend than the springs were designed for, but if your axle is on the bottom your springs remain at the same curve. School me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	leaf1.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	263555

Click image for larger version

Name:	leaf2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	263556
PulNSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #10

great pic of blocks PulNSerenity

Yes above pic is exactly what im talking about...how would blocks affects spring brackets? Is it rv techs on this this site shooting down neat ideas in order to get owners to spend big $ to modify rigs? maybe.... So has anyone done the block rise method...like to hear from you if you have had any issues...thks all!
td1837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:02 PM   #11

RV techs shooting down neat ideas...............??????

That is just horse pucky!

We only needs to consider 'side loads/torque effects' on TRAILER tires/wheels----SUSPENSION when manuvering a trailer
Those loads will TWIST a lift block right out of place or bend those LONG U Bolts

THat is why subframe lifts are WELDED to trailer frame, then sparing shackles are WELDED to the subframe and CROSS Bracing is welded in place to add lateral support

Side Loads/Torque.......

But one can add lift blocks if that is what they prefer.
Your trailer...
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #12

Yep, Old-Biscuit is right on here - Its amazing how much lateral torque are on those wheels when your turning tightly backing into a spot - I didn't think we'd have any issue simply flipping the axles on ours to spring over, but even then managed to a rip shackle doing a jackknife......lift blocks would just put a LOT of more leverage on the whole assembly....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #13

A u-bolts strength is determined by its diameter in relation to its length. And its composition.
If you increase the length of the bolt by a large margin without increasing its diameter you compromise its ability to hold the parts together.
A simple leverage problem.
Old 10-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #14

Aah... that is making more sense now. Thank you all.

PulNSerenity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel