Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 10:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWzrd View Post
But that is making the assumption that the offending outlets are actually on that GFI.
But, it doesn't hurt a thing to try it. The battle would be over if wire nutting the wires resulted in power coming back up downstream. Just one of the ways to narrow things down.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2018, 10:11 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWzrd View Post
But that is making the assumption that the offending outlets are actually on that GFI.
That is what one finds out by doing that. If one of those moves does not fix the problem then it's time to look for why. Just good, basic, trouble shooting.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had this exact issue on our last trailer. Found the culprit....was a GFCI hidden in a kitchen cabinet for the microwave.
It's not likely that a wire has come loose.....backtrace with a VOM to find it.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 03:35 PM   #32

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I think Old Biscuit has the simplest answer. My bet is a wire fell off the next outlet in the circuit. If it worked originally then that eliminates the GFCI being wired incorrectly. There could be another GFCI somewhere but if there are wires coming out of this one headed somewhere else, then that is not likely.
Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #33

1 out if 8 GFI don't work or stop working....why GFI need to be tested on a regular basis. New GFI breakers are (should be) self testing.

Given the quality of the wiring where are the Arc Fault breakers in RVs.
ALLOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:17 PM   #34

I replaced the GFCI and everything is exactly the same. The dealer confirmed with Keystone that all the GFCI outlets are in fact daisy chained and the only reset in the system is in the bathroom. So that leaves me thinking the problem may be more serious and beyond my very limited electrical skillset.
anthonynalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
My vote is for another GFI with a reset somewhere. I have 2 in the kitchen and 1 in the hall bath.
According to Keystone via the dealer, the bathroom is the only GFCI outlet.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:27 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
You really would get much better results if you picked up a $20 multimeter and learned how to use it. Voltage readings mean a lot more than just "looks OK".
I really should do that. Electrical work has always kind of scared me a bit.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
You have not mentioned where you are located. One of use may be close to assist.

I have to agree that you probably have another GFCI you have not found yet. Check if the microwave plug is a GCFI. It is probably in a cabinet. After that things have been covered pretty well.

Brad
I'm in Toronto. If the microwave is GFCI, then it's its own circuit as the microwave works but the other stuff in the kitchen plugged into GFCI-protected outlets don't.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #38

When you've exhausted simple fixes you might considet taking the unit back to the dealer. Park it in an obvious spot on their lot with a sign in window or outside that reads...
Bought this x wks ago
Elec outlets don't work
Dealer / mfg no help resolving the problem.

I bet they will get right on it.

I have heard of others doing exactly this when told by dealer it would be x weeks before they could get them... scheduled changed rather quickly.
You need to be firm at times!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:57 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonynalli View Post
I'm in Toronto. If the microwave is GFCI, then it's its own circuit as the microwave works but the other stuff in the kitchen plugged into GFCI-protected outlets don't.
I'm in Alabama so I'm to far away. I'm not sure what else to suggest. If the rig is brand new the dealer should be helping. It is possible to call a mobile guy but you would have to pay him. What follows is just me thinking out loud about what I would be checking. You may have done all of them.

1)Get a voltmeter.
2) If the one GFCI they say you have (and I'm not sure I would take their word as gospel) is not tripped. Just because there is only supposed to be one doesn't mean someone didn't put in another one. I would look at the breaker box for a tripped breaker or a GFCI breaker. Just maybe the non working outlets have their own breaker.
3) I would do a careful search of the rig and locate every outlet in it. Check all the cabinets. Check the basement.
4) Use the volt meter and start at the GFCI to see if the power is leaving the output side. It is possible BUT highly unlikely that the new GFCI is bad.
5) Start checking down the line and start pulling outlets to check for loose or broken wires.

Did the outlets ever work since you have had the unit? If they did work something came loose or tripped and you just have to find it. If they never worked I'm not sure exactly what to tell you right now.
Good Luck.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 08:21 AM   #40

I'm curious, and trying to follow this - you said "... the other stuff in the kitchen plugged into GFCI-protected outlets don't" ... how do you determine that these are GFCI protected outlets?

Another thought - I've had these protected outlets, where you you couldn't reset them with your finger, but had to use a pointed thingy to really push them in.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:35 AM   #41

Anthonyalli,
I would go over to Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum and post over there before getting to deep into this.
I'm sure there are other owners with the same model that can help you out (as far as locating the other GFCI).
the big issue is the factory has no idea and your dealer is clueless. hope I don't get in trouble for this post.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:48 AM   #42

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most, if not all GFCI should be marked whether or not they have test buttons. The mfg put labels or lettering on the face to let you know it part of a daisy chained circuit.
I found this out once when the outside patio duplex was dead.....there were no test buttons on them, once I reset the kitchen plug, all was good.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote