Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 02:15 PM   #1

How To Ruin A Nice Truck

Don't know how this happened but it sure put a couple of dents in a nice Ford Pickup.
Thoughts?
It's a long video but interesting to watch.
I have deep admiration for recovery tow trucks and their drivers. It's a real art form how they do their jobs. I had one heavy towing service when I was on the road working accidents. They were always my "go to" for semi's etc. It was amazing the skill involved to tow the heavy or bizarre equipment.
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...c7&action=view
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:04 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
That was a good video. Bit slow at times but great camera work.

Thanks for posting this.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:05 PM   #3

Nice how the hitch mounting rails just ripped through the bed.

I wonder how that would have ended if the the hitch was bolted to the frame.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plaza Towing has their own YouTube channel, fun to watch. They are located here in desert town of Indio, CA.
Kinda like watching Highway to Hell, but with no snow.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
The smallest cyclone they make has a 17,000# GVWR and that truck is a 3/4 ton SMH.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 09:54 PM   #6

I posted it several weeks ago and was told somebody else had beat me to it.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:29 PM   #7

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
The smallest cyclone they make has a 17,000# GVWR and that truck is a 3/4 ton SMH.
I saw that...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Yes, I recall this has been posted either here or another site. It seems that post had details about the accident. It would be nice to know what happened even though that would not negate an inadequate truck for the trailer, improperly installed hitch, and/or poor braking.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:53 AM   #9

The list of failures you can see from the video begins with the size of the truck, lift kit, perhaps the custom wheels and tires and hitch mount. Since the entire rig was new, maybe the drivers experience, the speed he was carrying and most common of all fails, not providing yourself enough reaction time in traffic. Great video! Another Youtube channel that shows "real art form" is Ron Pratt. Channel can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/user/TowmaterEthan
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:13 PM   #10

Hey, it pulled just fine! No problem here, NOT. There is guy in my neighbor hood that has almost the exact same setup, custom wheels and all. His rear end squats 3 to 4 inches when he is hooked up. As the saying goes, "You can't fix....."
Old 07-18-2018, 01:48 PM   #11

Still interesting.

Yes that video was posted some time ago with much discussion and speculation. I believe no one was seriously hurt.

Granted, with immense forces something will have to give way in a jack-knife. It's interesting to note the rear aftermarket wheel had collapsed, and the hitch bed rails separated from the frame components.
J & J, DRV Suites ES-38RSSA #9679
GM Denali, 3500HD-Max, 4x CC, 8' DRW,
EZGo-TXT, Clubcar Precedent
MtnTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
Still interesting.

Yes that video was posted some time ago with much discussion and speculation. I believe no one was seriously hurt.

Granted, with immense forces something will have to give way in a jack-knife. It's interesting to note the rear aftermarket wheel had collapsed, and the hitch bed rails separated from the frame components.
X2
Ret.LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
Hey, it pulled just fine! No problem here, NOT. There is guy in my neighbor hood that has almost the exact same setup, custom wheels and all. His rear end squats 3 to 4 inches when he is hooked up. As the saying goes, "You can't fix....."
It is hard not get on a soapbox about giant 5th wheels and inadequate two vehicles. Here is some of what I posted on another thread:
Some may say this is an over simplification. Look at motorhomes on the road, gas or diesel, that are the larger size. Mid-size box trucks, big trucks. What do they all have in common? Four or more rear tires. The amount of rubber on the road must mean something. Driving, pulling something fifteen to over twenty thousand pounds, I cannot imagine a situation where you have to worry about having too much rubber on the ground or too big of a tow rig with heavy loads. Just because you can does not mean you should. Ignore the justifications for why you can tow a big rig with two rear tires
Saw a guy trying to pull a big 5th wheel up short paved grade. As soon as those two rear wheels came on some light gravel he was done. One of many stories. Those who want to learn will, the rest have convinced themselves all is OK.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:11 AM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I will bet the trailer salesman told him "sure, your truck will tow this thing with no problem"
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote