Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #1

Hydraulic pump stuck on

Today I hooked up to our new 5er (Excel 37 Sdf). I backed the truck up,locked the hitch,raised the INDEPENDENT leveling legs. I first ran the legs all the way up,(push on spring loaded rocker switch until leg is up) when leg reaches top let off switch and pump stops. Then, i go to the truck for something and when I come back,the hydraulic pump is stuck on. I then went to the MASTER DISCONNECT shut it off and it will not shut the pump off. I had to take quite a few things out of storage and remove the battery cable. This shut the pump off. I then re attached the cable. Everything now works fine. So, I now check the MASTER DISCONNECT,and in the disconnect position, the pump will not operate, turn the disconnect to on, and the pump works. Anyone have any clue.

Called dealer and they called manufacturer and returned with the answer- The AUTO LEVELING needs reset. Well if they would have looked at the build sheet for our coach,they would have realized we have INDEPENDENT leveling on our 5er. So, the answer it took them all day to get back to me with, doesn't even apply to us.

I realize that its not going to be an easy fix with the symptoms not repeatable. I am worried about a jack extending on its own or a slide going down the road. The MASTER DISCONNECTshould have shut it off in my opinion, but then I didn't wire it.

Anyone have any thoughts

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2013, 01:45 AM   #2

To many toys. Keep it simple next time.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #3

Sounds like to me that you have a relay somewhere that got stuck or the switch controlling it... Since you had to remove the battery cable to stop the hydraulic pump, you might have a switch that has gone bad that works but will stick keeping the pump running.
Swamp Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
maybe your rocker switch overheated from holding it until the leg bottomed try going up in stages this will let the switch ( cool or lose its magnetism ) also low voltage causes some solenoids to stick
Old 10-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

All your answers would be correct(and may be) except, that scenario would be correct IF there were no master disconnect in the system. A Master disconnect is exactly that MASTER meaning EVERYTHING has power removed from it. A stuck switch, though still stuck, would no longer have any power to it,and therefore would not be able to apply power to whatever it was controlling.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #6

are you sure you don`t have auto-level ? when the systems are not auto they are listed as "manual". Peterson usually installs auto unless you specificly request otherwise when ordering your unit.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:32 AM   #7

I have four rocker switches that's it. We didn't want auto level.

Shawn
Old 10-11-2013, 04:43 AM   #8

And again, a master disconnect is supposed to remove all power even to auto level units. Not sure if folks know what a master disconnect is supposed to do. It basically removes a battery cable.When a battery cable is removed, there is NO power to ANYTHING, except maybe residual in a capacitor, which can't run a motor for any length of time.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #9

ok...I believe if you are plugged into shore power or hooked to your truck 12v dc is still on even if the battery disconnect (I don't think its a "master" switch) is off.....could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:31 PM   #10

But when I removed the battery terminal it shut off. I honestly can't remember if the plug was attached to the truck or not. All I know is when I removed a battery wire it stopped.

Shawn
Old 10-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #11

you know you could come over to the excel owners group on this site and you'll get a lot more input from some very helpful folks. brian t. at peterson also monitors that bunch. we'd love to have you. click on owners forums in the upper toolbar and you'll find us......mjf.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #12

Good idea thanks.

Shawn