Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #15

I have a two battery set up. Here is a picture of them... Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425002458.432226.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	87186Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425002492.463642.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	87187Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425002535.370555.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	87188

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:06 PM   #16

I'm not really sure what kind of batteries I should get. After all the stuff I have had to do to this trailer I am open to suggestions. What should I be looking at? Amps? Size? Etc..

Old 02-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #17

I did not know what I got into!

The Trojan T105 batteries are very popular and durable batteries for RV use. Try to find a local dealer near you that stocks them. Some have mentioned "Batteries plus" as a store that can get them within a couple of days.

Wire the two 6 volts in series to produce 12 volts. This will give you 220 Ah of capacity.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:25 PM   #18

Here is a picture

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1425003929.086600.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	87193
Old 02-26-2015, 08:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurby View Post
I'm not really sure what kind of batteries I should get. After all the stuff I have had to do to this trailer I am open to suggestions. What should I be looking at? Amps? Size? Etc..
The best place to find the Trojans is a Golf Cart dealer. Be sure you bring your old batteries as there is a hefty core charge.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:30 PM   #20

You know those batteries aren't connected to anything. We know why your refrigerator doesn't work. If you go with another pair of 12v, cable in parallel (pos to pos, neg to neg). If you get 6v, cable in series. Google it.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 10:10 AM   #21

Thor Owners Club
We have used golf cart batteries(2) in our rig with no problems for 4 years.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Those are Group 24 MARINE/deep cycle (this is very clear) they are 12 volt batteries about 75 amp hours each, 150 total, and you can use about 30 percent of that capacity safely.

IF the tray is deep enough for almost the same money you can replace them with GC-2 Golf car batteries,, These must always be purchased in pairs since they are six volt. You hook them up differently and when properly installed they become one BIG 12 volt battery, 210=230 amp hours (Depending on the precise battery you buy) mine are 230's.

So, being as they form a 12 volt battery you use the same converter, everything works the same, No changes, save you have a LOT more battery, about twice the usable power (you can use half of it on a true deep cycle)

Current hookup (SEE NOTE BELOW)

-Battery+
-Battery+

New hook up
-Bat+t=ery+

(As you see the two six volt form one Battery when wired in series)

The note:

Before you disconnect get some red paint or nail polish and the wire hooked to a POSITIVE terminal that runs off to somewhere other than the other battery.. PAINT IT

Optional .. black on the negative side (if not already black).

THEN remove batteries once the paint dries.

NEXT:
Somewhere in your rig si a converter.. IT MAY be part of the power distribution center (in this case there will be both Breakers and Fuses behind the door) or it may be....elsewehre.

Make and model please.. Some of 'em do not work well without good batteries,, Some are in serious need of an upgrade.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:00 AM   #23

Ok I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge... And because of that I haven't dared change the battery set up. So I have a 2 battery set up, does that mean I need to get 2 6v batteries to make a 12v system?
Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Ok I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge... And because of that I haven't dared change the battery set up. So I have a 2 battery set up, does that mean I need to get 2 6v batteries to make a 12v system?
Correct. The 2 x 6v batteries are wired together providing the amp hour rating of ONE of the batteries but are now considered a single 12v bank. Therefore, if each 6v battery is 300 AH, then wired together you'd have what amounts to a single 12v 300 AH bank.
Old 02-28-2015, 09:13 AM   #25

Thank you so much! The batteries situation has had me a bit confused, I don't know why but I just didn't get it. That explanation was perfect! Thank you again!
Old 02-28-2015, 11:06 AM   #26

Kurby,
We were probably all in your shoes at one time--I know I had to relearn some things about electricity after getting my first trailer--and some sad problems with batteries.
Having a dependable RV starts with having good batteries and charging system, cause not much will work well without the 12-volt side being right. When you start the work, it was mentioned once to mark ALL wiring that you disconnect from the batteries--not all + wires are red, for instance--it isn't pretty when you hook them up backwards. And just because it is 12-volts doesn't mean you can't get hurt or fry/melt something.
Good luck.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:58 PM   #27

So since my 5er is set up for 2 6v, is it better to do it that way? Or to get one 12v? Sorry that might be a really dumb question.... Thank you all for being SO helpful! I am learning so much. I wish I would have learned all this before I bought it, but hey better late than never and have a $6000 pile of junk right!?
Old 02-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #28

I did not know what I got into!

Quote:
So since my 5er is set up for 2 6v, is it better to do it that way? Or to get one 12v? Sorry that might be a really dumb question.... Thank you all for being SO helpful! I am learning so much. I wish I would have learned all this before I bought it, but hey better late than never and have a $6000 pile of junk right!?

According to the picture you posted, you have two 12v batteries. Yes the two GC2 golf cart batteries wired in series ( if there is no problem with physical dimensions ) will be a better choice. They will give you more capacity, and last longer because they are built tough.

Have you read this other thread which also discusses batteries? Specifically 6v versus 12 v

6v or 12 v