Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2008, 02:39 PM   #29

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
No Lori, I'm only in the "wish I had a place to store" mode. On our Aug. Vermont trip my trailers deep cycle battery gave up the ghost. So there was a Carrage dealership near by for a new battery. They had bunch of 07's & 08's in the lot. Diane liked that (F37RE3) and the (F35SB3). The closest Carrage dealer from the Cleveland area is over 100 miles away.
Over the next 3 years or so our first priority is moving. One of the things a new home will have to have is easly access for a larger trailer to be parked and storaged. I can easily back our 24' trailer into the driveway now but anything larger would not happen. Now, when not being used I store it at a outdoor fenced in construction trailer dealership about 3 miles away. When needed for a trip I'll back her into the drive and park it in front of the garage. On a weekend trip I'll do that on Thursday. On week long trips I might leave it there from a previous weekend.

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #30

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Str8Shooter:
LeeB, having just read the whole thread from start to here, I'm wondering what the goal is here. It kind of looks like to me that your real goal is to get a new or near new truck. Since your mh is paid off, why not just start a plan to get a replacement truck?

We have had a 35 ft 5er and two mh's. The wife and I agree that it is more convenient and comfortable to travel in the mh. I had to "convince" my wife to go the mh route. Fortunately, she now agrees. You have "convinced" your wife that the 5th wheel is the way to go. What if she ultimately decides that the motorhome was the more comfortable way to travel? Remember, you do not necessarily have to stop to get a drink, use the bathroom, etc as you travel.

Also, for a vacation type of traveler, this idea of maintaining two motorized units (mh plus towed) pretty much is a non-factor. You are going to have two vehicles anyway. A full timer may be the one to save a little by only having one motorized unit.

So think long and hard about the change. Maybe you would consider getting rid of the HHR, getting a good used pickup, and keeping the paid for mh. Then you wouldn't need the heavy duty truck (which have their own maintenance issues).

Good luck which ever way you go. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Terry I understand what your saying and we DO love our MH and will not sell it unless we get our price. The HHR is paid for and gets 30+ mpg and we both love the car. Right now I have a 1/2 ton truck that has 165K miles on it and will not last to much longer. We will be retiring and moving from California to Tennessee and will need a truck that is dependable. I am afraid that this is going to be one of the last chances I have to get a New (Newer) truck. We love to camp and will in the future and at this time I think it is best that we switch from a MH to a 5er... When I get 65K for my MH I can buy a used Truck and 5er and have enough money to get it set up the right way from the start...If I don't get 65K for my MH I WILL NOT SELL IT...

Thanks for looking out for a fellow RV'er

P.S. We will be brand new to retirement and are not sure about our funds....

LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:33 AM   #31

We too are in the process of downsizing from our 40' diesel m/h to a fiver and have been following this post with interest. We want a quality fifth wheel in the 30 - 32' range. Maneuverability and serviceability are the main reasons for our decision to switch. That plus I am tired of doing all the driving as the wife won't get behind the wheel of the m/h. She has even had professional lessons but is intimidated by the size.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #32

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
If and when I do go for the 5er set-up I want a full profile quality trailer / mid priced. The mid profile models I just don't like. In the mid's I really don't like the limited headroom and storage in the bedroom. While traveling around Vermont last Aug we stopped into a dealership that handled Carrage 5ers. www.carriageinc.com/index.php Their Cameo line has some nice 30'- 32' models. Too bad the nearest Carrage dealership closest to NE Ohio is over 100 miles away.....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote