Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #15

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
.... Some of the lies told are from out right ignorance and others are just deceit. Basically forget everything a dealer tells you and learn for yourself how to interpret the numbers.

Ken
Your view on this is somewhat jaded.

I have received some blunt info from RV sales in the past, telling me I should either shop for a lighter TT or a heavier truck,
and I wasn't that far from good numbers weightwise, in fact very close to good numbers.

Of course some salesfolk can exxagerate, of course perhaps RV salesfolk aren't necessarily technically trained, and to balance that .. of course towing a 10-ton rig down a crowded freeway has enormous consequences.

But, I don't think that espousing that all RV salesstaff are liars is the right path to take.

Rather, temper what you hear from them the messages you get from independent research like on this forum.
In my RV shopping history, (1 tent trailer, 1 TT, 2 5th-wheels, boat) the advice I have gotten from sales has been good.
Again, of course they are in sales, but if they are ALL liars then so is everyone in sales.?!
Use them as a tool, just not the only tool you use during your shopping experience, same as with EVERY purchase you make in life.

FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FatDog, there are a few (and very few) honest RV salesmen out there that know what they are talking about. The point is that you can not trust 95% of the information available from an RV dealer. You have to educate yourself and then sift through all of the information provided from all of the sources.

I spent close to 30 years in technical sales as a sales engineer. I sure do not like what some of the sales people have done to the sales profession.

The point was deliberately overstated in order to get peoples attention.

Ken

Old 05-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #17

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Ken .. I think your viewpoint on RV salespeople, which has been the same for many years here, has maybe done some good to some newbies. Maybe. If so that is a good thing and it has done them right.

I however, also think it is quite wrong based upon my experiences.
Perhaps your own sales experiences have effected your viewpoint. My experiences have left a much more positive impression on me of that profession. I believe we are both cautious and knowledgable men so something has given us a little bit of a different view on RV saledudes.
And i reckon thats fine.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
To get back to the original post, it sounds like a good package. My HH is rated at 14k gross which is about where your Titanium will be and was a good match with my 2000 dually.
The trailer is a bit heavy for my new truck but there's also a new trailer in the works which will match up fine.
Bill
Old 05-28-2009, 11:40 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
My Alpenlite is 10200 lbs dry and has a 14000 something gross and I tow it with a 07 2500 5.9 2wd short bed. Just got back from a 4000 mile cross country trip and it hummed along just fine at 65 mph. Even handled some mountains in Pa. with not much problem. I worried alot before I bought it, but once I pulled out of the lot onto the Interstate with it I figured out I was worring about much of nothing.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 07:15 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Steelpony, how about some actual weights on the truck with the trailer in tow. I am especially interested in the rear axle on the truck and you GVWR limits.

Ken
Old 05-31-2009, 08:17 PM   #21

Texas Boomers Club
Ok, sorry was out of town, but the traveling weight with passenger, dog and 50 gallon of water is---------
Front axle 4120 trucks GAWR 4750
Rear axle 5680 trucks GAWR 6010
Trailer axles 9460-----Total weight 19260
The trucks GWR is 9000 Lbs which by that I am over about 800 lbs, but the truck don't know it. I don't know how they arrive at 9000 cause if you add up all the axle weights it would seem like it should be 10780 lbs???----But there is more to this story, I have a 1% Dodge. It seems Dodge put out around 1% of their 3/4 trucks with box frames and extra bracing under the bed. (According to Dodge)----We found this out when the tech tried to install a set of Road Master helper springs and when he went to do the hitch. We had to call the manufactors and Dodge. Normally it takes him 1 1/2 to 2 hours to do a hitch but this one took 4-5 hours with all the extra holes he had to drill. I was there so there weren't many coffee breaks etc. He ended up putting Super Springs on it instead, not that it needed them but I wanted them. So basically it is a 1 ton truck, which from what I was told the only difference in a Dodge 3/4 ton and their 1 ton is 2 leaf springs. I have E rated tires all around and LT tires on the 5er. Either way we just returnd from a 4000 miles cross country trip and it handled very well. That includes Memphis at rush hour, 2 panic stops for Bozo's, 30 mph wind for about 8 hrs and did very well on cruise at 65 mph till I got into the mountains of WVA and Pa. So I am very pleased on the go power and stopping power and handling of the rig.
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:52 PM   #22

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We used to tow an '02 Titanium 32E37DS with an '03 F350 7.3PSD dually. It was great combo. You shouldn't have a problem with your tow vehicle. You'll love the way the Titanium rides behind you.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
As for the comments on both RV and Truck Salesmen - I am on my 4th TT and 4th TV since 1983. I learned some things the hard way - like rear gear ratios and to always read the fine print on the tow ratings etc. I have only run across two salepeople - one TV one TT who had actually towed trailers and knew how to advise people on good matches - my one TT salesman actually refused to sell me a TT that would have been a stretch for my rig. My TV salesman is actually a fleet buyer and he deals 90% in trucks and knows his way around all the fine points. He is the reason I ordered a 4.10 rear end in my new truck.
Most of the RV sales people I have seen at shows and on lots tend to believe what the mfgs tell them about weights and tow vehicle specs.

Tags
titanium pearl, truck pull required