Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2011, 12:58 PM   #1

I need to replace my 30 AMP factory recoil black cord that powers my 5th Wheel

Do any of you know how to replace the cord? Mine recoils into the traler and I pull it out each time. It needs to be replaced. Have any of you ever replaced one? I have been quoted $46 for the new cord.

How hard is it to replace it and is there a panel that drops down to get to where it is hard wired into the trailer?

I have a 2000 Fleetwood Wilderness.

Any suggestions you can come up with would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Just remember how the old one comes out and put the new one in the same way.

RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #3

Yes Thanks, but where do you get at where it connects to the trailer. Is it a panel underneath the traler that you remove to get access to where it hooks in?
Old 05-31-2011, 01:13 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry Mike, maybe somebody with your year and model coach will answer. Have you checked the the main electrical panel? If you don't have a transfer switch or a surge protector I assume that it would go straight to the main electrical panel.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First there are two types of cord reels, the procedure is almost the same for both.

The kind I like best for high current jobs like RV power cords the cord is one sold (Well flexible) length of cord, it runs through the "Reel" and on to the transfer switch, You replace the cord just as though you had no reel,, That is, Disconnect from the transfer switch, labeling all connections of course, free it from the clamp on the transfer switch, attach "Fish line" (Steel tape or HEAVY nylon cord) and pull it out.. Then using the fish line pull the new one in insert it in the clamp and connect it.

This type of reel has no rotating slip rings or brushes to fail on you..

The second kind rolls the cord up on a reel, the reel has slip rings and brushes (Which can and do fail on you) IN this case you have to pull the reel out enough to access where the cord connects to the reel,, and from there.. Same procedure. Save you won't be needing fish tape.

As to how to access the reel.. There will be a panel somewhere.. I doubt it will be UNDER the rig, but it may be an outside "Door" even if there is no latch, Or it might be inside a cabinet indoors behidn a block off plate.. I'd have to have eyes on to search for it, NOt something I can do long distance.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #6

Oh okay...thanks anyway. :O)
Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 AM   #7

Thank you for the very helpful information. I will do some searching and try to find where that rascal connects in. This is going to sound crazy, but my cord seems to just fold inside some kind of compartment. It does not have any kind of tension on it and it does not seem too real in. Is that possible, that maybe Fleetwood just made like an extra large compartment for it to manually just fold in on itself until it is all tucked in? I will have to investigate and see what the deal is. Your information was very helpful.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #8

Did you consider swapping it over to a detachable type of power cable? This may be an easier solution in the end.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
ms5thwheel- I used to have a 5th wheel. The cord came in and out the very back end of the trailer. Inside the trailer there was a built-in lamp stand between the two swivel rockers at the very back of the trailer. Inside that stand was where the cord went. To get to it all I had to do was remove the screws holding the front of the stand. With the front of the stand removed, that gave me access to the inside of the stand. And inside that lamp stand there was a junction box where the cord was connected to the trailer wiring.
rewaters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you confused some of the guys when you said it reeled in.
you just have a cord that you just feed it back into a small compartment. This is a easy fix. If you only have a bad plug, I would just replace the plug. Also if you only need a plug, go back with a plug with a built in handle. these are much easier to unplug. If your cord is bad, the first thing to do is get a flashlight and at night look into the compartment. see which direction the cord goes from the compartment. Then go inside and see if the electrical panel is in close proxemety to where the cord comes in. If the panel is not close. You might remove some drawers and check behind them.(the factory loves to hide things behind drawers)
Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #11

I do have a lamp stand that two swivel rockers sat on each side of. (The rockers are long gone). The Lamps stand is where all my main breakers are however. So I will look for the screws and see if this is where my 30 AMP cord goes in. It would make since seeing this is the electrical box anyway. Thank you so much for the tip based on your past experience. Truly others in the forum have suggested that I replace just the plug end, and I would love to, but I cannot find in any of the stores around me a marine waterproof heavy duty (male) end for the wire. The only one I could find was a cheap indoor type and that won't cut it. I instead went to my local RV center and they had the whole cord for $42. So I just purchased it. I am sure if I could have found the male plug it would have been a particularly more affordable fix.

Thank you again for your advice.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #12

I think you are right !!!! By saying it reeled in, it sounded like it had a reel or tension system. It appears it just folds into a compartment.

ga traveler instructed me on the lamp stand. I will try that. If the cord connection does not appear to be located there, I will definitely take your advice and keep searching. I liked your idea about the flash light at night. Two heads or should I say multiple heads are better than one !!!!!! Thanks so much for your helpful information.
Old 06-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #13

No I did not think of that. I just purchased the whole new cord, so I think I am going to just reinstall the factory part. Great idea though ! Thanks.