Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #1

I read the dry weight listed is not actual dry weight of trailer on lot???

I read the dry weight is not actual dry weight of trailer on the dealers lot.

I found this on one the posts:

"That dry weight really means nothing. That's the weight BEFORE any options. A fridge, an ac, wh, slide, several slides, are all options. Even the awning. It's more of a number the salesman can use to talk someone into buying a rig with too small of a tow vehicle. Well, maybe not exactly, but it's not a number you can use to calculate anything. It's required by the feds. What exact model is it and how is it equipped?"

Is the above true? What does "wh" above mean?
If true, will dealer take the trailer off lot and weigh it before selling it to you?
TXDIANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 10:17 AM   #2

Evergreen Owners Club
I would guess the poster meant water heater. As far as a dealer taking a unit to a scale and weighing it, I doubt if many would do that for you
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:12 PM   #3

my Redwood came with a sticker on the door which gave the weight after production with all options and accessories installed by the manufacturer. A handy number to have.
elliott-maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:32 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Near as I can tell, Dry Weight is required, but open to definition by each manufacturer. Some list weight of bare bones RV without options, fluids, batteries, etc. Some do define with standard add ons, other don't. This allows them to show higher cargo capacity and get folks to buy a trailer that's actually too big for their tow vehicle.

If I were about to pay the $$$ for a new RV, I'd demand a scale certificate before buying. That would be the only way to be sure.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:26 PM   #5

The dry weight listed in a brochure or on a web site is not going to be accurate, too many changes that are missing from out-of-date info. Even something that is a standard item may become an option later in a model year. Some brands actually weigh each unit when it finishes production and place a sticker inside the unit. Mine states 9244 lbs, weighed by J.C. on scale # CR5.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #6

As more and more RVers get onto the fact that the dry weight is , questionable at best and an out an out lie in some cases, maybe manufacturers will weigh and post for individual units , but then dealer installed options aren't included.

Would a dealer take a unit to the scales before you purchased?
Only if forced to do so in most cases. If in doubt , make it a requirement in any offer you make , if they refuse , take your money elsewhere.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXDIANIMAL View Post
I read the dry weight is not actual dry weight of trailer on the dealers lot.

I found this on one the posts:

"That dry weight really means nothing. That's the weight BEFORE any options. A fridge, an ac, wh, slide, several slides, are all options. Even the awning. It's more of a number the salesman can use to talk someone into buying a rig with too small of a tow vehicle. Well, maybe not exactly, but it's not a number you can use to calculate anything. It's required by the feds. What exact model is it and how is it equipped?"

Is the above true?
I don't know how true that is. Where have you ever seen a slide as an option. What maybe 1 model in 500?

My example. The brochure weight is 12,450. The sticker on the trailer says 12,510. My loaded weight is 14,580. About 2k weight of add on is not unusual. So my guess is that my unloaded weight on the trailer sticker is pretty accurate.
wingedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingedone View Post
I don't know how true that is. Where have you ever seen a slide as an option. What maybe 1 model in 500?
Slides might not be an option, but batteries, A/C, awnings, upgraded granite counters, generators, etc. could be. As I said, from all that I read, dry weight can vary is defined by the manufacturer, not a legal requirement.

It's a real advantage to under report dry weight, it makes it look as if it's cargo weight is greater than it actually is. The fact that some RVs have individual dry weight ratings is a step in the right direction, but I wouldn't assume it to be true in most cases. BUYER BEWARE. Especially if you are tip-toeing along a limit close to your tow vehicle's capacities.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-29-2014, 04:22 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Mine ( 25' tt) has a decal by the door handle stating "this unit weights XXX with added options delivered".
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:31 PM   #10

my brochure says 10.5, yellow sticker says 11.3, actual with camping gear is 11.7

2014 4x CC LML EFI tuned by me
6.6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:34 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.6 View Post
my brochure says 10.5, yellow sticker says 11.3, actual with camping gear is 11.7
Dry weight is weight of trailer, without water, food, clothes, or camping gear.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #12

Trailers are federally mandated to have a weight sticker on them as they leave the factory. The sticker is with options that were added at the factory. If anything was added by the dealer then it needs to be accounted for. If the sticker on the trailer says it weighs 11,000lbs the unless then dealer added something then it's pretty close to that. If someone has to worry about the weight of 2 batteries or 2 full propane tanks then they're looking at too much trailer, plain and simple.

Ignore brochure weights and follow the trailers stickered weight and no one should have any problems.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #13

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Its the best you are going to get. Take it or get the trailer weighed.
Old 06-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #14

Mine stated 13373 on the door. The dealer added 1 12 volt battery and filled the propane tanks. If the door sticker is correct and giving the benefit of the bottom of the weight (CAT scales measure to 20lbs) that means those two items weighed 608 lbs on my unit.

I do not trust the stickers but the max weight still remains the same, you just have to put less in it.

Tags
weight