Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #1

is it possible to change an existing 30 amp electrical service for a 50 amp service? and if so has anyone here done it? TIA

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2006, 07:46 AM   #2

is it possible to change an existing 30 amp electrical service for a 50 amp service? and if so has anyone here done it? TIA

Old 07-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #3

Being an electrician, I would say it is possible and likely to cost a bit to do it. The way I've seen some of the electircal panels packed away under a shelf, I would not want to do it but it is a doable project.
Jim

SPELL CHECK By IeSpell; Its free and it works.
JimmyDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:21 PM   #4

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NCTarheel:
is it possible to change an existing 30 amp electrical service for a 50 amp service? and if so has anyone here done it? TIA </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not to a trailer, but to my Winnebago.

See it all here.
http://www.bobhatch.com/electricStuff/30to50amp.htm
Old 07-17-2006, 06:57 PM   #5

Thank you for the replies and information, food for thought.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:27 PM   #6

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
Because you most likely don't have a generator, or automatic transfer switch, the conversion for you would be easier.

Replace the shore power cord. Run 6/3 w ground wire to the main breaker box, and redo that. If the main is a 120 volt only, you'll have to buy a new box. You will need new main breakers, 50 amp, double pole, but if you have a pretty firm grasp on electric wiring, it should only take you about a day, and $150 to $200 or so.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I've been thinking about doing this conversion to my rig too, I'll be watching the responses that come here.

My rig is a 5th wheel and I'm not sure if my breaker panel box has a split buss or not, it's in a confined area and is hard to get into. Another issue I need to noodle out is how I'd handle my input from the generator prep package and my inverter.
Old 07-18-2006, 11:35 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
I might be wrong, but isn't the main reason for 50 amp service in most RV's for a 2nd a/c unit? Why not leave all wiring the same and just add a 2nd small panel for the 2nd a/c unit and have a 2nd power cord - 20 amp. Most RV parks have 20 amp outlets along with 30 amp. All factory wiring would remain untouched.

I have 50 amp in the bus conversion (all-electric coach)-- plus two transfer switches to handle shore power, gen set power, inverter power. I'd hate to put all that into the small spaces in a regular RV. Impossible in my Airstream.

Just some thoughts

don
Old 07-18-2006, 04:01 PM   #9
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I only have one 15,000 BTU air conditioner. I want the AC and water heater on one leg and my wife's electric coffee pot, microwave oven, toaster oven, and hair dryer on the other leg.
Old 07-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #10

I have also given this some thought. My plan would be to install a new small panel and feed the existing panel with 1 leg. Move the water heater to the other and add 2 outlets, for hair dryer and/or electric heaters. This would only cost me the water heater if only 1 leg was available, which is what gets turned off now.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:58 AM   #11

Don't change the 30 for a 50. Add a 50 and run the 30 as a sub panel. Simple.