Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #1

Red face I want to install 3/4 inch all hardwood Brazilian Cherry Floor

I have been searching the forums and I am not having positive results in locating another 5ht Wheel owner who may have replaced factory flooring with solid hardwood flooring. I was wondering if anyone out there did so. I am not interested in Pergo or laminate flooring but specifically solid hardwood. I was going to glue it down.

I know that there may be a concern regarding the 14' slide I have in the kitchen living area, but my thought was, once the floor is installed I could put a rubber backed throw rug onto the new hardwood floor so that the slide would roll up onto the rubber backed carpet and not the new floor.

I was going to test this theory out first my temporarily installing 3/4 inch plywood onto the subfloor now, putting the rubber backed rug on top the 3/4 inch plywood and running the slide in to see how it clears and to see if it will effortless roll up onto the plywood without difficulty or strain of the electric slide motor. If I get a success with this trial, I think the hardwood install would be a success.

My only other dilemma is how should I install, glue or nail it down or both? If anyone out there has done this type of install could you reply to this Thread and let me know the steps and your success rate? I think I am going to run the boards so that the slide runs up on all the boards at the same time, rather than run the boards the length of the slide. This way I think the 1st board won't be taking the full weight of the oncoming slide?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2011, 10:50 PM   #2

Have you factored in the added weight of solid hardwood flooring? How does that compare to what you have now? Also, if height ends up being an issue you could go with engineered hardwood which comes in less than 3/4 thickness. This is something I have considered myself, let us know how your testing turns out.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:44 PM   #3

Hi Yellowreef,

I do not think the weight will make too much a significant difference. Thanks for bringing that to my attention as I did not consider the added weight. I think the total weight of all the hard wood probably would be 80 lbs. Just guessing, I will have to investigate that. I will look at the engineered woods as well and see if I can find a thinner version. Thank you for the suggestions. This project will be tacked in about two weeks or so. I will give you a update when I get into it and see if this will pan out. Thank you.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
CD

Assuming you had carpet, and will use a piece of carpet for slide to roll on, that means the slide will need to raise about 3/4". I seriously doubt there is that much clearence over the slide. If so you would need to open the slide opening to allow the slide to raise up. I don't think I would want to go there.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:41 AM   #5

iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm thinking you need to rethink the weight of a hardwood floor, especially if you are doing the entire trailer. 80lb sounds light.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 AM   #6

Does your slide have rollers? If not, consider adding them. We are in the process of installing Allure Ultra vinyl to replace carpet and without rollers, the lower edges of the slide gouged the flooring (and this is with vinyl that is thinner than the carpet and padding it replaced and thinner than the plank you plan to install).

The slide may very well just shove the carpet strips ahead of it rather than sliding over it. That was our experience...

Testing with plywood is a good idea. If you get gouges and are making adjustments, cover the areas that are gouged with painters tape each time you test so you can see whether you fix the problem.

I don't think you have to worry about one board taking all the weight if your slide is 14' long. Don't know what length hardwood you're using.

We took our slide out and had a fork lift handy to support it once we got it back in and needed to tip it up to get underneath it. Good luck with your project.

liz

P.S. roller photos are in the Alumascape project thread in this forum if you're interested
Old 05-20-2011, 08:52 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I had to tear out the floor in my unit and also the subfloor from water damage. I replaced the sub floor with 3/4" plywood and then put in a floating snap lock laminate. One thing to consider is the slide not being flush with the new floor. 3/4" flooring is a problem when matching up the slide and when bringing it in. I too have used rubber mats to help with the slide but have had to replace a few pieces from where gravels have been tracked in and caught under she slide. Good luck on your decision. I do like the looks of my new floor. By the way I did put Brad's in front of the slides to keep the floor from buckling when the slide was brought in.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD View Post
Assuming you had carpet, and will use a piece of carpet for slide to roll on, that means the slide will need to raise about 3/4". I seriously doubt there is that much clearence over the slide. If so you would need to open the slide opening to allow the slide to raise up. I don't think I would want to go there.

I hear you, that is why before I purchase the hardwood or would attempt to lay it, I was thinking of trying the test plywood option with the rubber backed rug to see just what kind of clearance I have to work with.

Right now when you bring the slide in with the carpet removed and only the factory linoleum on the floor when the slide comes in, it rises up 2 inches and then drops an inch and it appears to have a clearance of about 1 inch. I could be totally wrong on this, and that is why I wanted to try the 3/4 plywood test to see if I would run into problems. I certainly do not want to mess the slide up or cause any undue stress on the slide motor. I think my best bet if I want hardwood flooring is to take Yellowreef's suggestion and go with engineered wood, as then it would be thinner and less likely to affect the slide. As I have been thinking about all of this I may just do wood flooring even with the stairs that take you up to the bedroom and carpet the area in front of the slide like Fleetwood had originally done. There has to be a reason Fleetwood did carpet in that area besides cost savings. I will have to experiment and throw a post back to the forum and let you all know what I find out. I really appreciate your input and welcome all comments and advice. I can rehab a house blindfolded, but a 5th wheel is new territory and I need to take into consideration this will be going down the road and have movement. My mindset needs to keep those things in mind. Thank you again. Much appreciated.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I'm thinking you need to rethink the weight of a hardwood floor, especially if you are doing the entire trailer. 80lb sounds light.

Hi, I am only going to do the Kitchen and living room area. The rest of the trailer I am going to replace the carpet in. I did find a really cool natural stone tile I wanted to put in the bathroom, and it is really light. It is very small different shaped squares and rectangles so it is much lighter than one piece of tile. The whole weight of the amount of tile I need just in the shower are is about 10 lbs. But it all adds up. I need to keep reminding myself this trailer is mobile and not a stationary home. Thanks for the input. If you think of anything else please shoot me a note.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:14 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyLA View Post
Does your slide have rollers? If not, consider adding them. We are in the process of installing Allure Ultra vinyl to replace carpet and without rollers, the lower edges of the slide gouged the flooring (and this is with vinyl that is thinner than the carpet and padding it replaced and thinner than the plank you plan to install).

The slide may very well just shove the carpet strips ahead of it rather than sliding over it. That was our experience...

Testing with plywood is a good idea. If you get gouges and are making adjustments, cover the areas that are gouged with painters tape each time you test so you can see whether you fix the problem.

I don't think you have to worry about one board taking all the weight if your slide is 14' long. Don't know what length hardwood you're using.

We took our slide out and had a fork lift handy to support it once we got it back in and needed to tip it up to get underneath it. Good luck with your project.

liz

P.S. roller photos are in the Alumascape project thread in this forum if you're interested

I do not think the slide has rollers. I do not think Fleetwood installed those as standard slide equipment. I do like the idea of rollers though. That would be a project seeing the slide would have to come out completely to have them installed. I really liked your tip about the masking tape, I will try that in my test runs. Thanks for the advice and the story. If you do not mind me asking how much expense is it to install rollers?
Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #11

ms5thwheel,

Our Alumascape did not have rollers, either, because the slide moved over carpet (but the slide made a mess of the carpet...). I don't know how much my SO paid for the rollers, but if you look at the Alumascape project thread in this section, you'll see pictures of the rollers and of them installed.

I don't know whether your slide has a lip on the front edge, but if it does, you may be able to tilt the slide up enough to get the roller under the lip. The rollers don't necessarily have to go completely under the slide itself so you may not need to take the slide out.

Removing the slide is not for the faint-hearted and it's not inexpensive, even if you do all the work yourself. Takes a fair amount of expensive lumber to build the necessary supports. However, if you have strong, sturdy jacks, you can support the slide so you can tilt the top back to lift the bottom so you can get underneath it some.

Richard S. provided a link to a catalog with rollers:

Slide Roller Help

I think my SO got the ASP-RSM-0029.

After seeing the wreck that the slide can make on hard floors, I'd be scared not to have rollers, although I've seen people here report putting in hard flooring to replace vinyl and not having problems. Anything that slides on the floor has the potential to get grit or something scratchy in it and scratch the floor. I think the rollers will be less likely to do that, but retrofitting with rollers may or may not be easy.

Looking forward to seeing how you handle your project!

liz