Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2018, 09:10 AM   #15

One of the things you will learn is that on these forums there are a lot of opinions expressed. A lot of those opinions run along the lines of, "I have a (place brand name here] and nothing else compares. These opinions can be completely ignored.

Talk with owners of the brands you are interested in and listen to their experiences both good and bad. Much better to make your decision from this type of info rather than internet experts.

FWIW, we owned an Arctic Fox 29-5t. We did have quality issues with it but the factory will bend over backwards to make issues right whether you are at an AF dealer or not. I would buy another one if they offered what we wanted.

Good luck in your search.
rampowerwago is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #16

The infrastructure is the main item to look at. If lacking in this area, it will have a lot of flex which causes warping, cracking, drawers binding, etc. I mentioned Excel. Yes, they closed business but they built a good unit. Stacked tube steel for chassis. Real wood cabinets. If I was in the market for a 35'ish unit that is where I would look. Trilogy had some growing issues early (lack of insulation in areas). Have not researched the newer ones. I was impressed with them. Considered buying until the lack of insulation in cap area came up. Excel we wanted but no 40' units. Yes, we have a very nice Teton. Ours is a 2003. It looks like a new unit inside. No warping, all drawers work like new. All oak wood cabinets look like new. We have 16" of chassis. Has 2X4X1/4" tube steel welded to bottom of that. Stating this to show the quality of a good infrastructure.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Have you looked into Northwood Arctic Fox or their Fox Mountain units. The Fox Mountains run 28-30'. The regular Arctic Fox have two or three floor plans under 32'. These are definitely full time units in a shorter length.

Or their sister company (outdoors RV) and their 5th wheel line Glacier Peak. How about this one 30'6" Glacier Peak F26rks

Both of these companies are on the upper end of the quality spectrum, But are heavier and more $$$.

First....What kind of Truck will you be towing with???

Wundertaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post

First....What kind of Truck will you be towing with???
Actually you get the camper you want and fit truck to camper.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 04-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #19

btw,....

has anyone bought an rv from RVUSA? i was wondering how you would do that since a lot of them are in other states! I guess you would just need to get the ones close to you and hope they have what you want so you can go look at them. I can't imagine how you could buy one without seeing it first hand. Wish there were more used inventory around here that fit what we want.....

Where did you by yours? Was that a good experience? I've noticed a lot fo people saying that once they bought their rig, the places they bought them from have not been very easy to work with if their were a problem after. I'd like to avoid the problem places if at alll possible
MKOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Actually you get the camper you want and fit truck to camper.
Negative... The OP wanted suggestions for a 5er. If they want us to help them then we need to know what kind of truck they have. If you'll "read" the OP's post #1, they mention, and I quote, "My husband will go back with me but wants to wait until after we pick up our truck in SD on May 8th and drive it back.

This sentence suggests that they either already have a truck OR they just bought one and are picking it up on May 8th. Knowing this information will help us to help them. Wouldn't want them to buy a Northwoods Mfg 5er and show up with an F-150 to take it home.

Jus' sayin'....

Old 04-24-2018, 12:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Negative... The OP wanted suggestions for a 5er. If they want us to help them then we need to know what kind of truck they have. If you'll "read" the OP's post #1, they mention, and I quote, "My husband will go back with me but wants to wait until after we pick up our truck in SD on May 8th and drive it back.

This sentence suggests that they either already have a truck OR they just bought one and are picking it up on May 8th. Knowing this information will help us to help them. Wouldn't want them to buy a Northwoods Mfg 5er and show up with an F-150 to take it home.

Jus' sayin'....
Just saying, they doing it backwards. See it done a lot and people end up with wrong truck
Old 04-24-2018, 12:39 PM   #22

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Just looked at video on Artic Fox website. All hung fiberglass insulation will drop and leave areas uninsulated. Just the nature of this. I had a DRV and it did too
Are you sure your not confusing Arctic Fox (Northwood Mfg.) with Forest Rivers Arctic Wolf 5th wheels. Arctic Wolf's are a shorter 5th wheel but of much less quality than a AF.

Arctic Fox does have a lower end trailer line called "Nash" that has wood walls with hung insulation.

Arctic Fox 5th wheels are built like tanks. Their sister company (Outdoors RV), which I bought, we took the factory tour the day after we picked our unit up last Oct.. If you saw how they were built, you would surely buy one after the tour. 3 hour tour....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #23

Ideally I only want my Truck using no more than 80% of it's "actual COMFORTABLE towing ability", and preferably 70 to 75%!!! I want more truck than I really need...do I know it costs a bit more to do it that way?...YES...Do I really care that it costs more?...NO, because I am much more comfortable, at ease, and enjoying the TOW a whole bunch more!!!

Old 04-24-2018, 01:36 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Are you sure your not confusing Arctic Fox (Northwood Mfg.) with Forest Rivers Arctic Wolf 5th wheels. Arctic Wolf's are a shorter 5th wheel but of much less quality than a AF.

Arctic Fox does have a lower end trailer line called "Nash" that has wood walls with hung insulation.

Arctic Fox 5th wheels are built like tanks. Their sister company (Outdoors RV), which I bought, we took the factory tour the day after we picked our unit up last Oct.. If you saw how they were built, you would surely buy one after the tour. 3 hour tour....

That same video I watched. They showed the walls with fiberglass insulation. I didn't have the sound on since everyone else watching tv.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #25

Quote:
That same video I watched. They showed the walls with fiberglass insulation. I didn't have the sound on since everyone else watching tv.
The fiberglass is in the Nash Model...NOT the Fifth Wheel they are featuring on the video. The Nash Models are a lower end model for Northwood.

Old 04-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKOwen View Post
fter we pick up our truck in SD on May 8th and drive it back. Hopefully we can find what we both want by July 2nd when we have our first reservation set up.
You may be doing it backwards.

First you pick out your 5th ... then the truck.

What if your truck can not tow your 5th?
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
You may be doing it backwards.

First you pick out your 5th ... then the truck.

What if your truck can not tow your 5th?
Then you don't buy that 5th wheel.

Ultimately you have one of the items, then you buy the 2nd item that would work with the first item.
Old 04-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #28

Quote:
The fiberglass is in the Nash Model...NOT the Fifth Wheel they are featuring on the video. The Nash Models are a lower end model for Northwood.
I really don't see what is so special about them. Watched the video, checked specs. The light weight says volumes

Tags
fifth wheel