Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2011, 11:28 AM   #1

I would like to know the quality of my 5th Wheel

Hello Forum,

I have been seeing some older posts as to the quality of the different rigs on the market.

I think my 5th Wheel's quality may not be as good as others may.

Fleetwood made 5th wheel's up until 2009. They were a fortune 500 company in 2007, but went downhill from there with the economy. They started in Riverside CA in 1963.

They still manufacture RV motor homes, but even those are taken over by another company when Fleetwood dissolved in 2009. This information and facts can be found at the Wikipedia website under Fleetwood Industries. I am only parroting the information I read there about Fleetwood the 5th Wheel lines they did away with.

My point being, my 5th wheel I just purchased for $6500, which I think was a steal given the condition and size (M-30-5G 32 feet, two slides) may not be the best constructed? I do not know. I am new to the 5th wheel community and I would like others opinions as to the quality of the Fleetwood Wilderness line. Are they junk, low grade, or middle of the road? I know for sure they are not top of the line.

As I have examined the construction and quality of the 5th wheel I own, it appears well constructed and the cabinets are solid Oak. The appliances seem to be quality and top of the line. The sinks are porcelain and the plumbing and wiring looks average grade. Nevertheless, really how well constructed were these 5th wheels? I would particularly like to hear from current Fleetwood owners and get your opinions on the quality. The NADA guide for my model lists the resale at the low end at about $11000. The high-end is $14000. The person who sold me the one I have for $6500 was in a severe financial hardship and needed cash ASAP. They were getting rid of everything they had for pennies on the dollar. Therefore, I do think I paid a great price. Now I am relying on all of you to furnish me with your thoughts and opinions on the Fleetwood Wilderness line. Thanks so much for your input it will be well appreciated!!!!!
first5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Fleetwood Wilderness is a typical entry level up to lower mid level trailer in construction. I hope you enjoy the trailer.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I had a Fleetwood Prowler for 10 years,,,A great starter rig for weekends and occasional 2 week vacation,,not a fulltime or long range unit. We enjoyed it for 10 years no problems.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #4

Contact the RV Consumers Group and find out how they rate your unit. They are the only RV rating service available and are totally independant.
The last I knew they charged $150.00.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 01:38 PM   #5

I believe the Wilderness could have exterior walls of either fiberglass or aluminium. Fiberglass rigs are typically frammed with aluminium. Aluminum skinned rigs are usually frammed with wood. The "stick and tin" style is definitely a lesser quality construction than aluminum framming with fiberglass. This distiction is what I would use to qualify the unit as entry level or low-mid level as txiceman put it.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
you have your unit its 10years old your happy with the price dont worry about the validation from other folks just enjoy
brianj
Old 05-24-2011, 03:08 PM   #7

Regardless, it sounds like to got a good deal.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:30 AM   #8

That sounds encouraging as my unit has fiberglass surface, so if the under cage is aluminum, that is a pretty versatile and strong frame and seeing Fleetwood is no longer in business making 5th wheels, there is no phone number to call to find this information out on the older rigs. Fleetwood dissolved in 2009, and I do not think there is a customer service number still in existence for inquiry on matters such as this. If anyone knows of a number, please share. I know the current listing is for RV motor homes only now, and even that is now under another manufacturer other than Fleetwood, even though it kept the Fleetwood name.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #9

Thanks Brain,

My hope was that more actual original Fleetwood owners could give me a more in-depth review of the 5th wheel. (Thanks to all of you who have commented) I am very happy with it, and I will enjoy it. It is nice to gain as much knowledge as I can, seeing I am new to the 5th wheel world. I am very grateful to own it and I am looking forward to some continued years of service, and when I am ready to upgrade, by then at least I will have a little more knowledge to base another purchase on.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:06 AM   #10

I have a 1996 that I bought 2 years ago. It has served me well in that time and through the 10K miles I have put on it. I believe the older trailers though heavier to haul are better constructed frame wise than the newer ones. Its all a carp shoot anyway as what one person finds as gereat, the next will view as a lemon. So enjoy because only time will tell.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:17 AM   #11

I bought my first and only fifth wheel and it is a 1995 fleetwood wilderness that I paid 4000 and we know it is not perfect but it is pretty darn good as our first. All things work perfect and I like to putz and fix things so I am very happy with ours. I use it on short trips and one long trip a year so it serves us well.
jasult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 04:48 PM   #12

I have a 2009 Prowler 235RL 5th wheel. We purchased the trailer new. If had to do it all over again, I may reconsider. The wife and I bought this trailer because of the size, interior and exterior appearance and overall Fleetwood reputation. The interior had numerous issues with the craftsmanship. There seemed to be a lets get this done quickly feel after our first trip. There were probably 15 or so items that needed to be repaired by the dealership. The sliders and hooks on the drawers were the biggest issue. After replacing them the third time we seem to have licked that problem. The biggest issue I had was with the front cap. We were on our maiden voyage when were approached by a gentleman and asked if we knew that the front cap collapsed when we were on the road. We had no idea. On the road, the wife looked out the back window of the TV and sure enough, the cap was had an indentation of 18-24 inches. It turns out that the cap had no support underneath it. It was touch and go to see if Fleetwood was going to fix this. Their response was that it was designed that way. Luckily, we got it done before they went bankrupt. Now that we have have the major fixes done, we are pleased with the trailer now. We use it for short weekend trips and a longer summer trip. Hope this info helps. You might not want to look out the window at the cap when you are driving. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Chemtchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:51 AM   #13

Thanks all for the input. I so much appreciate it. keep the comments coming as I am gleaning loads of input from all of you !!!!!! Thank you Thank You.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
My fiver just turned sweet sixteen. The previous owners had to deal with any shortcomings from the factory, she was well broke in when I took possession. She has a few dents here and there, has had some wood framing replaced, and has been modernized with satellite TV and radio, new carpets, Fantastic Vents, and a newly installed generator. The insurance company and I have agreed on a value, and as to what it is worth to others is not my concern as I will keep it until the frame rusts to nothing. I always wanted a travel trailer, my father bought a Jayco when I was a kid and I was impressed even then. I bought used.

If you are happy with your rig, the quality is good for your. Who cares what anyone else thinks?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote