Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2016, 07:10 PM   #1

Ice in front cap

While the RV tech was out looking into my furnace issue, he noticed I had some some water running down my king pin. Ran his hand inside that little cap over the king pin and found ice against the front cap. There's is no water line that runs anywhere near that spot. He thinks it's condensation. I think I have a break in the caulking at the top where the cap connects. What do y'all think?
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2016, 07:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
While the RV tech was out looking into my furnace issue, he noticed I had some some water running down my king pin. Ran his hand inside that little cap over the king pin and found ice against the front cap. There's is no water line that runs anywhere near that spot. He thinks it's condensation. I think I have a break in the caulking at the top where the cap connects. What do y'all think?
I did! Eternabond taped it all the way across.
Fishalaska1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishalaska1 View Post
I did! Eternabond taped it all the way across.
No more issues after?
Old 12-08-2016, 07:53 PM   #4

None at all.
Fishalaska1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Cool, thanks!
Old 12-09-2016, 10:40 AM   #6

Quote:
Depends, when was the last time it rained or snowed on the front cap? Have you been living in the RV, since you mention a furnace issue? Condensation is very likely if you are using the RV, because you generate moisture and it will condense on colder surfaces, windows are the obvious example, but back-side of the front cap is another. I know it happened on mine when we had to live in the RV which was inside a garage (so no rain). I have a small access panel in the front closet and could feel the moisture on the rough surface. Then just like the windows, it collects and runs down to a low point and weeps around the bottom trim screws which are now very rusty compared to other screws further up the side of the front cap. I even have rust stains on the white rubber insert and on the side of the white cover over the pin box.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #7

It rained a few days ago right when it started getting cold out here. Yes we have been living it so I think maybe it's a little of both. I was just trying to confirm that this was nothing to worry about.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #8

Quote:
It rained a few days ago right when it started getting cold out here. Yes we have been living it so I think maybe it's a little of both. I was just trying to confirm that this was nothing to worry about.
If your front cap is like mine, the top extends pretty far back and a water leak at the roof seam might drip directly over the closet or forward part of the bedroom and stain the ceiling. I'm going on 5 yrs with no evidence of internal issues, even had the dealer check for leaks around the front cap and they found nothing. Just keep an eye on it. If temps stay below freezing, but you have additional ice build up at the pin box, then it is more likely condensation.
Old 12-09-2016, 02:42 PM   #9

How am i getting the condensation though? Do I have some sort of an air leak?
Old 12-09-2016, 05:25 PM   #10

Quote:
How am i getting the condensation though? Do I have some sort of an air leak?
The air space between the cap and the front wall is not a dead space and moist air can enter. In my case there is a small gap between closet floor and front wall allowing room air to escape. Also outside air can enter under the pin box mount and even under the floor insulation from the front storage compartment. Any moisture in this space will condense on the colder backside of the cap.
Old 12-09-2016, 08:58 PM   #11

OK well I feel better about that now. The RV tech made it sound like a big deal

Tags
front cap