Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

if the trailer is rocking.......

I am the proud owner of a 2013 Redwood 36RE (rear entertainment ). This is my first 5er so maybe this is just how they are but I can't seem to get the shake out. It has a 6 point landing gear and i have put slide jacks under (2 on each side). Every time we walk through the back it rocks. When we sit down it rocks hard enough to rattle the window shades. In the bedroom, above the kingpin, its solid as a rock. What else can I try?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2013, 09:45 AM   #2

For forward and back movement, Put wheel chocks BETWEEN THE WHEELS.. Your movement tries to roll the trailer. Chocks stop the wheels from trying to turn.[spin]... If the movement is side to side, then you need to support the rear at the FRAME, not just the slide itself.

Old 10-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #3

I'm surprised you have rocking with 6pt leveling. I have always read about people with it having a rock solid 5'er. We don't have 4 or 6pt leveling but had the rocking thing. I DIY'ed some JT stabilizer knock offs. Did the 2 way's in the front and one diagonal in the rear and it's now really solid. On dirt it's not as solid but on black top it great.
In your case maybe better chocks at the wheels. Like BAL chocks instead of those yellow wedgies.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

I have a x-chock on one side. The dealer said that a second one wouldn't make any difference. Any opinion on that?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When I was in the navy we were in port in Spain. Some American College students came on board to see the ship. The students were asking how we could put up with all the movement of the ship all the time. I literally had to stop and concentrate to notice that we were rocking a little bit. I never noticed it to the students it was a huge thing

The Moral of this story. If you are new to having a 5er wait a while and see if the movement is something that you wont get to a point of not noticing.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 PM   #6

I use x-chocks on both sides.

38' Heartland Big Country fifth wheel
johnburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #7

If this trailers a Rocken, don't come knocken! Awh the good ol days.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #8

Jacks under your slides ??
Most trailer mfg don't recommend them. The first tip out rooms or slide out rooms were manual operated and some times by hand and required the jacks. I would contact your trailer dealer or mfg and get their input before you ruin a slide out mechanism.

Its possible the 6 point system isn't set right. It can have too much weight or not enough and still wiggle.

A '13 trailer should be under warranty. Let the dealer/mfg figure it all out.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Per Jimnlin, no supports under the slides. If the RV settles on one corner or side, the slide support will push the slide up and possibly damage it o and or the trailer. There are a lot of products marketed that should not be on the market.

Ken
Old 10-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #10

I have installed dozens of these on trailers and 5th wheels of all sizes, they work very well - customers cannot believe how solid everything is afterwards.
SteadyFast: 5th Wheel and RV Travel Trailer Stabilizer System
Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #11

OK, so it rocks a little. Why is that a problem? Just ignore it and quit worrying., I find that I often don't even bother to put my rear jacks down. How do you think people manage to live on boats?

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Birder View Post
OK, so it rocks a little. Why is that a problem? Just ignore it and quit worrying., I find that I often don't even bother to put my rear jacks down. How do you think people manage to live on boats?

Joel
Big difference between the gentle rolling of a boat and the small jerks in a TT/5'er. When you're sitting in a chair in a TT/5'er and the other person is walking around and whatever you're reading is shaking in your hands, I think that's hard to ignore. I suppose you could walk around with a rock in your shoe and think that's fine. Just ignore it.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #13

Thanks or when the washer goes into spin cycle and you can't leave your drink unattended or it will fall. Besides, why do I have to ignore something when there might be a fix. What if our fore fathers ignored that pesky tax?
Old 10-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #14

It's possible that it's just the floor bouncing and the trailer frame is not moving.
That was my experience with a Jayco Designer we had. It could be solid as a rock, but clomping across the floor would cause things to shake just because the floor was flexing.