Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2018, 10:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
B or C

With a 5th you will need a pick up in the 3/4 ton class ford 250 or ram 2500 that you will not need when you aren't towing.

With a B or C all you need is a car to tow behind and sometimes you may not even need that.

Also towing a 5th out of the Mid Atlantic region would be a pain.
I'm curious why towing a 5th wheel out of mid-atlantic is a pain?
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:18 PM   #16

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
I'm curious why towing a 5th wheel out of mid-atlantic is a pain?
I'm guessing ...roads/traffic & tolls
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:52 PM   #17

Have you ever towed a trailer of any kind and have you ever camped?
It's not ponys and unicorns all the time.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:08 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd suggest you rent a class C for a week. It will help you decide what you want or DON'T want.

Your problem is going to be getting around to see the sites once your RV is setup at a campground. Renting a car is not an option at lots of places.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithnorv View Post
Thoroughly confused with myself. Don't know what to buy because I'm not sure what we want to do.

Here's what I think we'll do and maybe recommendations will help.

We're in our mid 60's so I doubt we'll do any type of RV'ing for more than 10 years max. We live in the Mid Atlantic area.

I know we don't want to spend more than 4 or 5 mo./yr...so not interested in Full Timing.

I don't want anything over about 35' long.

Would probably like to make 2 or 3 long trips during that time for 3 to 4 months each coast to coast. Traveling 4 - 8 hours between site stops where we'd spend 2 - 3 days before moving on.

Years in between, we'd probably spend 4 - 6 wks / spring to fall at local State/Fed. campgrounds near local lakes, or the beach. Not driving more than 500 or so miles.

Don't want a Class A
Don't want a Travel Trailer
Fifth Wheel, or Class B or Class C?
Rent, don't buy.
6x16inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 03:51 AM   #20

Quote:
I'm finding it impossible to find a 5er 30-35 ft that I can pull with a 3500HD Diesel with a SRW (based on the specs). A DRW, however will pull all in that range. I just don't want to have a DRW for the daily drive.
I'm trading in my TT today on a fifth wheel. 33'8" long with a GVWR of 12,000. Will tow with an F350 SRW. It's not a "lite" but definitely within comfort zone of a SRW. They're out there.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:05 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
yes I have towed utility trailers and large trucks on many occasions. I've been camping all my life.
RoadEyePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 05:09 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6x16inside View Post
Rent, don't buy.
I did not know you could rent. Who rents RVs. But if I'm going to do that, I'll just stay in hotels.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:51 AM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Do you have a place to store whatever RV you decide on? That may influence your choice.

We had two Class A's before we had our current set up (Fifth Wheel). There were a couple factors for us for our change: Most importantly, it felt like "home" to a greater degree. From a financial perspective, the investment in the actual fifth wheel was a fraction of the cost of a Class A; since all RVs are a depreciating asset, it was nice to be able to feel like we are depreciating a much smaller chunk of money. The truck we bought to tow it was an enormous husband-pleaser in terms of fitting his 6 ft 4 in frame (and frankly, it is an awesome truck all around--I love it too.) Much nicer to have payments for a few years on just the truck and the RV paid for (and WAY less invested in it). I think if we ever decide to sell the truck, we'll stand a much better chance of getting a higher percentage of our investment back. With your plans, I wonder if this reasoning might apply to your circumstances too...?

Bottom line is, you just need to make a choice based on your own circumstances. No one out here has any better understanding of what you want and need than you do
SuzanneH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneH View Post
Do you have a place to store whatever RV you decide on? That may influence your choice.
I live on 4 acres in a rural area. Plenty of room to park whatever. If and when I decide on an RV, I plan to build a carport (pole) style building over a concrete slab to store it under.

Also, I agree with you on the cost advantage of the truck / 5th wheel over other options. Resell of truck also much better.

So, right at this moment, it's a 3500HD (SRW or DRW) and a 5'er. Tomorrow going to an RV show and it might be a Class B or C, then by next Tuesday it could be back to no RV just travel and stay in hotels.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
BTW, exactly what percent is ponys and unicorns?
Old 03-16-2018, 08:37 AM   #26

Quote:
BTW, exactly what percent is ponys and unicorns?

98.37%
Old 03-16-2018, 08:48 AM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
The other 1.63% must be hell.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJD View Post
We have a 35ft. 5th wheel with opposing slides in the living area and one slide in the bedroom area. Plenty of room for the two of us along with our Boston Terrier.. One thing you might think out is your tow vehicle. Mine is a F250 3/4 ton and it is at its limit on weight rating. If I could have a do over I would have got the F350 single rear wheel and 6 1/2 foot bed just for the extra wiggle room on weight. The price difference on them are really small comparing both with the same options. Even ride quality there isn’t a lot of difference..
SAME

F250 (2012) 6.7 with 3:55 rar. with a 2017 Chapparal 30RLS (34 foot). GVWR is 11K. Bleeding limit for my truck ....... IF $$$ come my way I'd get a F350 SRW/DRW either with the 6.5' bed (long bed is too long).

Tows like its not there.
CF-104 is offline   Reply With Quote