Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 AM   #15

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
ken90004,
If the model is the one I am thinking, a couple we met this winter just bought one last summer and stayed in it this winter. It has good and bad points, the main thing is if you ( meaning DW) like the floor plan, then go for it. You will need a 1 ton dually to pull it though, and I would suggest getting a diesel, because none of the big 3 offer a bigger gas motor anymore. I retired last year and took off from Ohio first part of September and just got back to Ohio Tuesday. Living in the unit and loving the lifestyle.
One thing that is very important is that DW has to want the lifestyle also, but if she is on board there is nothing better. The nice thing is if you don't like your neighbors, the scenery or even the weather, you hook up and move to a nicer location.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
ken90004,
One thing that is very important is that DW has to want the lifestyle also, but if she is on board there is nothing better. The nice thing is if you don't like your neighbors, the scenery or even the weather, you hook up and move to a nicer location.
Frank
My DW is pushing me to do it. I'm not so sure. I'm probably going to wait for a few years, at least. I start a new job, and it is only an hour from home, so there is no need.

The only thing is, like where I am staying out now, they have a 2 month limit. It looks like others have been out there a long time. They have 100 gal. propane tanks piped in. So I am worried we might have a hard time finding a CG that will allow us to stay longer. Or I wonder if the 2 month thing is a common rule that is mostly ignored now.

I agree with being able to move. I got new neighbor from last weekend. I got up the next morning, and he'd move this picnic table right in front of my car, blocking me in. I had to drag it out of the way to go to work. I was going to mess with him. My new phone controls my TV and DVD player. It programs itself very easy. I can see his TV from where I sit outside. I was going to program my phone to run his TV and then jack with his volume and change his channels. Then make it look like I was just talking on it. But that really stupid, so I just laughed at the idea and left it.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #17

I can't imagine owning a home on wheels and no tow vehicle. We travel hundreds, sometimes 1,000+ to next job. Just towed 580 miles for this one. We be here 6-8 weeks and then going somewhere else.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
I can't imagine owning a home on wheels and no tow vehicle. We travel hundreds, sometimes 1,000+ to next job. Just towed 580 miles for this one. We be here 6-8 weeks and then going somewhere else.
I do IT contracting, and my positions usually last years. Short ones are 6 to 9 months. I build database, to data analysis and design reports. I had a 6 month with the DoD and went on for almost two years.

I have no idea what it cost per mile to have a company tow, but even if had to go 1000 miles, and it cost me $2k to do it, that is still cheaper than the expense of owing a dually for that year or two, until the next more.

Then we'd probably sell my car, and keep my wifes, and use it for transportation.

Long term goal is to save enough to buy a place in Hawaii. In ten to fifteen years, all we need to do is sell the camper and the car, and buy our plane tickets. Then I do a little p/t government consulting on Oahu
Old 05-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #19

There are companies out there that move 5th wheels or other rv's. I knew a park host once that had AAA move his 5'r. I have friends that had their 5'r and truck moved from Tucson to ID by a man that did it for a business. You just have to do some checking around, verify their business licenses and insurance, it's a possibility.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:40 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
there may be some campgrounds that limit your stay, mostly state and national parks, but maybe some private ones do also. A lot of the northern campgrounds may close in October for the winter due to the cold weather but if you go to woodalls or similar sites, they will tell you when they are open and if your stay is limited. A lot have monthly, quarterly, seasonal or yearly rates.

Driving a dually as a daily driver isn't that bad once you get used to it. About the only things that are limited is drive through do to the width, and some parking places are out. mileage isn't as bad as you would think 15 to 16mpg around town and 17 to 20mpg on the highway, depending on which make and how you drive.

If you are not sure about the lifestyle, then buy a used unit and try it for a couple months.

Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote