Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #1

I'm in love

My wife and I stopped in to get some parts and the local dealer. We walked around and looked at a (I think) Keystone Montana. It had a front room in the front with two sofas and a TV mounted above the fireplace. 5 slide outs. All for around $88 and some change. Never been a fifth wheel fan, but this looked more like a home than a camper.

Dealer said we didn't have to buy a truck to tow it. Some cars will work. ok, relax, just kidding. He said if you go fulltime in it, it can be more affordable to pay someone to haul it where you want to go. Is that really reasonable, or is a dually a must? We're talking what $60k for a truck on top of the $88k

My wife is just dreaming, but she wants to sell the house and move into this, so that we can move around the county while I do contract work (I'm in IT) anywhere. It is an interesting idea, but I'm not sure about not owing a home. I think my wife just has the fever, and trying to work out how we could owe it.

Anyone else live in the camper and not owe property? Does it get old camping for years?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM   #2

My parents gave up full timing after 5 years, bought a house last year.
2 catches.
1. Not that it matters much but dad turned 70 this year, think is is more that mom wanted house again.
2. They had been living in (3 different) a motorhome since 1995.

(DW corrected the year to 95 from 97)

Old 05-07-2014, 02:02 PM   #3

You need to read lots of rv forums like this one, www.rv.net, www.escapees.com, even read the different owners forums. There are lots of owners forums, www.suitesowners.com, Excel has one, Jayco has one, I'm sure Montana's have one. Fulltime rv'ing is great but it's not for everyone. You shouldn't just jump into it. Do you travel much now? Do you have an rv now? Have you rented any rv's? There are some people that go out buy the pretty rv, hit the road and hate it. It is a small space. And there's no where to go when you get irritated with your partner. That being said we have been fulltime since March 2006 and wouldn't change a thing. We had stressful jobs and had little time to enjoy our beautiful home. We quit our jobs and sold the house. We found we needed to work 6 months of the year to make it. We started park hosting and really enjoyed it. Now we work 6 months and travel 6 months. We've spent real quality time with relatives all over the US. My 2 cents, if you really think you want to do this, buy a used rv that looks liveable to you. Live in it for a year, you can always buy a new one later. Good luck
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:32 PM   #4

Full time RV'ing is not really camping. It is a live style. As you said, the fifth wheel looks like a home and that is what it is. We are retired and have been full time for 2 years. We sold our house and sold or gave away 95% of our "stuff". The hardest part was not the stuff or the house. It was the memory triggers attached to them. We both decided that having minimal stuff, no house, and traveling seeing our beautiful country, making new memories was better than sitting surrounded by stuff and old memories and waiting to die.

It would be different in your case, since you are not retired, but if I had the opportunity to go full time when I was younger, I would have jumped at the chance. There are blogs by the hundreds about full time RV'ers. Read about it and then, like you have been advised take some baby steps and see if you like it before spending $140,000.
halfwright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You might be "in love" now, but if you don't do your homework the honeymoon will soon be over. Jan's post (#3) has excellent website references. Good luck.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Here's the Montana one: Montana Owners Club Web Pages - Home

Don't know the exact model number, but you can save a ton of money by going used. From my experience, used RV/trailers have had the new bugs worked out and if you do a thorough inspection, you'll be fine. Same for diesel duallys.
Old 05-07-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
Here's the Montana one: Montana Owners Club Web Pages - Home

Don't know the exact model number, but you can save a ton of money by going used. From my experience, used RV/trailers have had the new bugs worked out and if you do a thorough inspection, you'll be fine. Same for diesel duallys.
Or, they are real lemons, just kidding.
Love the front livingroom.
We had a Montana years ago (different model and floorplan) and sold it because the running gear was crap, excuse my language; but almost no manufacturer installs heavier axles than the bare minimum.
Not sure if Keystone voids the warranty for fulltiming.
I remember, I always had cold feet even in summer .
Old 05-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #8

We are full timers and our Teton is our only home. Prior to this a 33' DRV Mobile Suites was our home. We found it too small. I still work, a welder, and this compliments my work. We get to travel over most of this country and make a good living doing it. We are having so much fun now, don't know how retirement could be much better. lol. My wife is a military brat and loves traveling. Started this adventure in 2008. Never intend to go back to stick and brick. Getting rid of everything was hard but a relief afterwards. The biggest obstacle to full timing is changing from a lifetime of getting things to not. I once went in Lowes and wanted so much in the store. They aren't even interesting now. Thankfully rvs have enough to go wrong with them to keep it interesting. lol. This is a decision the two of you will have to make. We wouldn't trade it for anything this side of heaven.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #9

On the front living room units, can you get to the bathroom with slides in? Can you access the fridge with slides in? Many of the fl units you can't. We use our bathroom traveling. jfyi
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:05 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My wife and I have been looking at a front living 5th wheel too, saw one back in February at the RV show. It was a Cougar 337FLS. 37.7 feet long, only weighs in at 9800# so that's appealing to me to tow with my 2500HD Silverado. Local dealer in Wi. wanted $43k at the show, found a dealer in MI that said 38k delivered to my door. This is very tempting. Seems like a nice fit and finish in the RV, you can get to bathroom with slides in, fridge might be an issue, didn't see it closed with slides in but it seems like the fridge might not open.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by missourijan View Post
You need to read lots of rv forums like this one, www.rv.net, www.escapees.com, even read the different owners forums. There are lots of owners forums, www.suitesowners.com, Excel has one, Jayco has one, I'm sure Montana's have one. Fulltime rv'ing is great but it's not for everyone. You shouldn't just jump into it. Do you travel much now? Do you have an rv now? Have you rented any rv's? There are some people that go out buy the pretty rv, hit the road and hate it. It is a small space. And there's no where to go when you get irritated with your partner. That being said we have been fulltime since March 2006 and wouldn't change a thing. We had stressful jobs and had little time to enjoy our beautiful home. We quit our jobs and sold the house. We found we needed to work 6 months of the year to make it. We started park hosting and really enjoyed it. Now we work 6 months and travel 6 months. We've spent real quality time with relatives all over the US. My 2 cents, if you really think you want to do this, buy a used rv that looks liveable to you. Live in it for a year, you can always buy a new one later. Good luck
I've been fulltiming it since last Nov. But I bailed in mid Feb when we started hitting -10 temps. As far as space, I'm in a 19' super lite, so the fifth wheel looked like a manison to me.

We love camping. Done it since I was little. Took the kids when they were little, and had the first grandbaby out when she was a few months old. I've never had enough time to camp and work.

I like fulltime camping other than I'm not home with the wife very often. The youngest is 18 so he's never home anymore anyways. I enjoy going home after work to my little mini travel trailer.

I really don't want a used one, mostly because if I buy new I know what's in it. I can take good care of it, and know it is it is well treated. And besides, I can finance for 15 years, and make a low payment. Then if I am inbetween contracts for a few months, I don't have to sweat using all our savings.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:29 AM   #12

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
On the front living room units, can you get to the bathroom with slides in? Can you access the fridge with slides in? Many of the fl units you can't. We use our bathroom traveling. jfyi
This was the other great feature. The back door runs straight into the bathroom. Which is also where the w/d was.

And you can still get to the frontroom with both slides in there. And you can get to the bed with both the bedroom slides in.

It had a built in desk I can use to work remotely. Full size Amish built cabinets. double refrig/freezer. Tons of room for clothes in the bedroom. I found nothing I didn't dislike about it.

I really wanted a motorhome. Class C. But after we seen this, this had way more room for us. And I wouldn't have to drag a toad. This option just less beds for guests.

The other big question, is can I get away without buying a dually? Can I contact the dealerships and pay to have them move it once a year instead of spending so much on a huge truck? Or do I really want the dually and should factor that into my budget?
Old 05-08-2014, 07:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmerinwi View Post
My wife and I have been looking at a front living 5th wheel too, saw one back in February at the RV show. It was a Cougar 337FLS. 37.7 feet long, only weighs in at 9800# so that's appealing to me to tow with my 2500HD Silverado. Local dealer in Wi. wanted $43k at the show, found a dealer in MI that said 38k delivered to my door. This is very tempting. Seems like a nice fit and finish in the RV, you can get to bathroom with slides in, fridge might be an issue, didn't see it closed with slides in but it seems like the fridge might not open.
We don't have the tow vehicle. This was heavy. Just under 12k# dry.

We looked at one of those Cougars on the lot. If it was the same, I didn't like where the kitchen table sat. It was in the way of the hall. But 38k sounds a whole lot better than 88k, well to me at least. Not my wife.

The Montana had a slide out dinnete that sat five. There was an extra chair for the desk, that also converted into a step later. Great for my short wife to reach the tall cabinets.

It also had a 3000BTU thermostate controlled fireplace. That's help cut the chill of the early spring mornings.

The more I'm talking the more I sold on it.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:41 AM   #14

I also do my research. I am very analytical, that's my job. I know that no matter how great I appears, THIS one may not be it. I'd be very disappointed if it wasn't.

My dad always had Class "A", so I have a certain appear for them, but I can't spend that kind of money. And it is a whole new ball of wax with you add a motor in your home.