Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-12-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
In general, Why a 5th wheel over traditional TT?

Title says it all!

Smithers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 04:02 PM   #2
Ease of towing, ease of backing in tight quarters, More floor space per given foot of length behind the TV. More storage to name a few.
Since you didn't ask:
Takes up TV's bed, requires a heavier duty TV.

Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
Three of the most common reasons are:
1. If you compare two trailers of the same length- one a TT and the other a fiver, the fiver will almost always give more storage.
2. Also, the footprint of the fiver will be smaller, because of the front overhang being above the bed of the tow vehicle.
3. The kingpin swivel point makes for easier turning and backing.
I was typing while 450Donn was posting- I guess great minds think alike huh?
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In general a 5er is easier and more forgiving than properly setting up WD system on TT. A TT can be set up to tow well.

For a given weight trailer, a 5er will place 50% to 100% more pin/hitch weight on the tow vehicle, so you can pull more trailer with a TT.. So with a 5er, do your towing home work and be sure you have enough truck. You will see lots of large 5ers on 3/4 ton trucks...and they are over loaded.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #5
More storage room in basement.
Eagle_Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Better handling in windy conditions. At least that's what I thought years ago when I towed and lived in a 5th wheel.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
A TT can be towed by an SUV or pick-up truck. You'll have the rear of whichever vehicle for storage. Like someone said in an earlier post, a lot of the storage room in a pick-up towing a 5er is lost. You also, can't tow a 5er with an SUV.

Its personal preference. 20 years ago I had a pop-up and was on the hunt for either a TT or 5er.

I chose a used 22' Jayco 5er. I towed it with a 1/2 ton Dodge. First, I felt that I could back the unit up easier and even into a 90 degree angle if needed. Second, the hitch weight is right over the rear truck axle. Thus, more stable going down the highway with no sway. Third, Larger storage capacity for stuff. Fourth, head room height in the living area. These are just to list a few reasons. I'm biased about 5ers. I'm on my fourth unit now.

If you feel that the TT is the best bang for your buck, then purchase that.

It's a matter of personal choice.
Dave & Patty
2012 Infinity 3850RL
2011 Ford F-350 4x4 FX-4 Crew cab 6.7 Diesel
Infinityrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #8
My only choice for our 1st unit was a 5th wheel due to my small truck for size of our choice of trailer.

Due to top of axle loading its very stable while towing. Most trucks can have additional boxes while additional basement storage equals TT possibilities.
My 15k unit tows as well as any 7k TT.
I would rather tow heavy with a 5th wheel then a TT. That's why the transports are 5th wheel setups. In addition it's much simpler to hitch and go.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #9
I agree with all previous posts. One of the main reasons for me is that a fiver will give a better ride in the tow vehicle hands down. Bumper pull trailers will beat you to death. I have two PJ trailers and they are both on the same 7K spring axles. I haul a 10K loader tractor with back blade on both with the same pickup. If I am going any distance I try to always use the fifth wheel trailer as the ride is so much better then the same trailer in a bumper pull. We had a new bumper 24 foot enclosed car trailer for about a year and it gave the same rough ride. We traded it in on the new MH as if we get another inclosed trailer it will be a fifth wheel. Our first RV was a Jayco fiver and we had it for 14 years. I did pull a 22 foot Baja boat behind the fiver and it rode pretty good back there with the fiver to buffer the ride.

KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel