Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-01-2013, 02:11 PM   #1
In shopping dealers for used RV,should I avoid disclosing that I will be paying cash?

Do agents or dealerships make enough "kickback" on used RV loans that I should let sales people assume that I'm a typical will-finance-the-purchase RV customer?

Are cash customers unlikely to get the best price or do sales agents like the idea of not wasting time on deadbeats who can't get a loan? (In terms of price negotiation, I probably come from the "disclose as little as possible while shopping" school of haggling. There's a "How to negotiate for your RV and control the process" article on-line which takes the disclose-nothing strategy to an extreme, IMHO, and I wonder if he borders on discourtesy, depending on what part of the country he uses his approach. But I do believe that there are some advantages to some mystery in my persona when negotiating.)

[By the way, I may buy through PPLmotorhomes.com because of the large selection in Houston and New Braunfels so a consignment unit may be in my future. Does that have any impact on your answer?]

FT'er,38' 5W/ToyHauler but no toys; rural eastern Texas 140mi.from Houston coastline.[On-grid gray/black-water code-compliant.] Interested in feedback re: climate/mold issues, vermin/pests/coyotes, energy-conservation tech & experiments, passive solar, RV security.
PaulAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
Paul.... the dealer does not really care how you pay. But there is more incentives to the dealer if you finance. So the best buying points is to use your buying check list....stay diligent to any flaws in the operation of the MH... ask questions as they arise... have a professional inspection if you are not confident that you can perform one yourself. When sure that you have qualified your desire to purchase to your satisfaction.... make a sane low side offer and allow the dealer to respond. If you meet minds on price... fork over the cash. .... The end....
I never let the dealer tell me something that they are will to perform if I make the purchase. I always request that they fix the flaw and I will reinspect that system. If the dealer is not willing to fix something obvious to the operation and let me reinspect...they are not the people that are selling me my dream machine.

Craig Gosselin
1994 Fleetwood 33H
1995 Fleetwood 30H (parts vehicle)
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
I don't think you need to tell them, however it is harder to get people financed today with credit scores so knowing they can make a deal right now might influence the price if they want to move the unit. With me it all boils down to the bottom line no matter what they know.Good luck
sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:29 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most of the time, the dealer gets a kick back from the finance company for placing the loan and uses this in figuring his profit on a unit. Personally, I would not tell. Negotiate your best deal and then tell them. Some make come back for more money.

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The dealer does care how you pay. We try to make 2% over buy rate ( what the bank needs versus what the parameters of the loan is ) typically they allow 2 points or %. On every $50,000 financed for 10 years that's $5200! So it does matter to the dealer.I would not reveal cash until the deal is made. Because that could bite you in the fact that the dealer wouldn't come down as far.
Sagamore is offline   Reply With Quote

dealer, rvs