RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2019, 08:46 AM   #1

In the “weeds”

I tried to find a better title...
Camping at an RV Resort in S. Oregon. All around, a very nice facility.
With the weather nice enough that at night we just used our Fantastic Fans for cooling, plus a couple of windows open.
To my surprise we were awakened by the smell of marijuana wafting through our
rig. Morning and night.
Question. Some states have legalized pot. When you are at an RV Park, and it is private property, can the park owners prohibit pot?
I don’t mind people smoking pot, I only mind when the smell of the skunk weed
affects my personal space. Perhaps they could just sit in their totally enclosed rig and inhale to their hearts delight? Why should I have to close everything up and turn on the air?
When I asked the question of staff, they really couldn’t answer...

Lola1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2019, 08:58 AM   #2

It is all new. Banning is private places may not have been tested in court yet.

RV'ers traveling to legal states to imbibe are likely to become more prevalent. Using a TT or RV may be required because laws may prohibit use outside the users home.

Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #3

Cigarettes, pets, children and alcohol can be banned in private places, I'm sure weed could be too.

But then it becomes a medical nessesety, according to some, like service animals. ( Goats, Chickens, Pigs, )
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 09:24 AM   #4

Pot is legal in Oregon but not outdoors. Smoking in public is banned but not Enforced.

If they are inside their rig and you can still smell it too bad for you. If they are outside you could POLITELY ask them to move so the smoke does not bother you.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:39 AM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Simply put, an RV park could ban the use of anything they like that is legal to restrict on private property. Businesses can ban dogs, firearms, etc., and so can an RV park. The RV park I'm currently in does not allow marijuana or the open carry of loaded firearms, for example, both legal here in public but explicitly banned on the RV park private property. The park also does not allow engine idling and loud music, and someone on a motorcycle had both going on two nights ago and the park manager came out of her house and told him to shut it all down or he would be told to leave immediately.

Marijuana is legal in Oregon, Washington, etc., but there are good reasons to not be exposed to the smoke, one is that I am drug tested for my job, for example. I am not gonna risk losing my job so someone can enjoy getting high.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #6

You could turn into a dopper and learn to like the smell. Then instead of asking them to stop you could as to join them. After all enjoy the wacky west.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #7

Despite states legalizing marijuana it still quite ILLEGAL federally, which means in all 50 states. It is still a Class 1 drug scheduled by the DEA. This is why we do not allow it at my place of employment no matter what the Dr says. Fail a drug test and we will be terminated and loose our pension so I would and will eliminate all sources of second hand pot smoke with extreme prejudice

I would treat it the same way as if someone was smoking cigarettes in the middle of a playground-it is basically the same disregard for your fellow human beings.
redhooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post
Despite states legalizing marijuana it still quite ILLEGAL federally, which means in all 50 states. It is still a Class 1 drug scheduled by the DEA. This is why we do not allow it at my place of employment no matter what the Dr says. Fail a drug test and we will be terminated and loose our pension so I would and will eliminate all sources of second hand pot smoke with extreme prejudice

I would treat it the same way as if someone was smoking cigarettes in the middle of a playground-it is basically the same disregard for your fellow human beings.
I don't like it but the dope smokin is going to just grow in magnitude. If you live or camp in states that have allowed it your going to encounter smokers. States have caved to stoners thinking the tax money is going to offset the downside to our society this will cause, imo.
1960C182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 08:06 PM   #9

We were in a Thousand Trails in Seaside this summer.... the hippy's next to us smoked all the time... I don't think there class C would start and run... a complaint to management went in one ear and out the other... we moved the next morning....

This is supposed to be a FAMILY RESORT... but they don't seem to care...

We were fine 3 rows over....
Old 08-21-2019, 08:10 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilemike View Post
Pot is legal in Oregon but not outdoors. Smoking in public is banned but not Enforced.

If they are inside their rig and you can still smell it too bad for you. If they are outside you could POLITELY ask them to move so the smoke does not bother you.
+1 the states that are legal you have to smoke inside rv thats all
Old 08-21-2019, 08:17 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhooker View Post

not sure your right about that. It is legal as long as you are in these states, smoking in a public outside space, arent selling ,or have a certain quantity.Now if you cross state lines with it that it int legal then it may be an issue
Old 08-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarata View Post
not sure your right about that. It is legal as long as you are in these states, smoking in a public outside space, arent selling ,or have a certain quantity.Now if you cross state lines with it that it int legal then it may be an issue
It's correct, but there is some missing nuance. For example, pot is legal under state laws in Oregon and Washington, but technically not legal to possess or consume on federal lands or other locations under federal management in those states, such as a National Forest or National Park.

It ain't the crime if the century, but there's a risk of federal prosecution in a case such like I mentioned.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:42 PM   #13

Trying to get rid of pot smoke in southern Oregon...... LOL!!!! Good luck is all I can say. That part of the state has been one big smoking Jeff Spicole VW bus since the 1960s (or longer).

I'm up the highway in Portland and it's just about as bad. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people that enjoy some herb but this whole city (and state) stink like kill bud. And the people are stoned 24/7. You're unlikely to get anywhere looking for enforcement of anything in that area.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:00 PM   #14

Since this is an RV forum let me ask the question: After a day, evening, or weekend of pot smoking when is your system clear of THC (the high in marijuana) to allow a person to be sober enuf to drive? Seems that question never gets asked let alone answered. I know the saying for alcohol - eight hours bottle to throttle - but what is the timing for pot? No one seems to know. The effect of pot can stay with you for days, weeks, months. When is a person OK to drive?

V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote