Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 07:27 PM   #1

Info on the big horn 3160EL or 3110

My wife and I are considering getting the big horn. Does anyone have one out there that can tell me how they like it. Any info would be great. THANKS

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:14 PM   #2

Heartland builds a better than average 5er. I think the Big Horn comes with 7,000lb axles and 12" I- beam frame. The problems I have heard have been minor in nature.

Storage compartment leak that the dealer fixed was one problem I heard.

I was at the Tampa RV show last Jan. and talked to the Heartland Rep. He showed me the build quality vs other THOR products. I came away mildly impressed.

Old 06-23-2014, 09:33 PM   #3

I too have been looking at Big Horns and Big Country's for the last 3 years. I'm very positive on the brand.

Unfortunately, my 3/4 ton diesel is just not enough truck for the weight of most of their models. And I'm not willing to deal with dual rear wheels on a day to day basis.

I'm finally going to buy later this year, and we're going with Grand Design--the new and upcoming 5er manufacturer. They have models in every weight--very light to moderately heavy.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:05 PM   #4

I am looking at the 3010RE, and I also have a dodge 2500. It's a 35' trailer, is this going to be to much trailer for my 2500?
THANKS
Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #5

You need to find out what your payload capacity is on your truck (basically how much can your truck carry). The dry pin weight on the 3010 is about 2400lbs and will only go up once loaded for camping. To help you determine your payload capacity we'd need to know what year is your truck, cab style (extra, crew or standard), 2 or 4 wheel drive, gas or diesel, SRW or DRW drive, long or short bed?
jtaylor1920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenstad1 View Post
I am looking at the 3010RE, and I also have a dodge 2500. It's a 35' trailer, is this going to be to much trailer for my 2500?
THANKS
What year Ram truck do you have? There is a free PDF from Ram called the Ram Body Builders Guide that can be down loaded for free. It is in PDF format and has some slight variation in using the guide from year to year. See Link attached:

http://www.rambodybuilder.com/year.pdf

I too have a 2008, 2500 Mega Cab and tow a 318SAB Cougar that is 35’ long but length is not that important as the GVW of the trailer and truck. Per Ram you cannot exceed the GARW ratings of the front and rear axle which depending on year vary. Nor should you exceed the Gross Vehicle weight rating which I do by 500 LBS but I am under the rating for a 1 ton SRW truck. The only difference between the two trucks; 2500 and 3500 SRW is an additional leaf spring in each rear axle spring pack for the 2008 model trucks.

We have looked at them also but would need a new 3500SRW 2014 Ram with a 6.7L Cummins with the AISIN transmission to tow one.

Jim W.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #7

I have the 207.5 dodge ram 6.7 diesel, and have the fifteen thousand hitch in the back.. It's a short box. And I love this truck and don't want to give it up for a few hundred pounds.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #8

Oh and it's a 2wd.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenstad1 View Post
I have the 207.5 dodge ram 6.7 diesel, and have the fifteen thousand hitch in the back.. It's a short box. And I love this truck and don't want to give it up for a few hundred pounds.
Did you have a chance to check out the web site that I sent you?

Per that web site the 2007.5 truck with a 6.7L Cummins Auto is capable of towing a maximum size trailer of 13,400 LBS regardless of differential size. This is for a 2 WD 2500 Crew Cab SB truck, ST model the higher the trim level the lower the maximum trailer weight for towing is allowed. The higher trim level models will drop down to 13,200 LBS maximum. This is because more weight has been added to the truck. So you need to weight the truck with you and your DW along with any other items in the truck. Take the axle weights add them together and subtract from the 20,000 LBS to find out what maximum trailer weight you can tow is.

The Maximum axle weights are 6,000 LBS rear and 4,630 LBS front with a maximum gross combined vehicle weight of 20,000 LBS. So as you see the 5th wheel that you are looking at will be heavier than the truck can tow without going over maximum allowable weights set forth by Ram.

Jim W.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:58 PM   #10

Yes I did and thank you very it was very helpful.
Again thanks
Old 06-26-2014, 05:34 AM   #11

The big country models are a little lighter then the big horn. We have one and it tows much easier then our previous unit.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:12 PM   #12

Big Horn

We have a 2012 Bighorn 3070RL which isn't in production any longer, it's dry weight was suppose to be 10,900, pin 2,300 lbs and max loaded was 14,000. it has 6,000 axles, I say was suppose to be because many have weighed their trailer after purchase and found they are heavier. I have a 3/4 DA GMC Sierra which I owned before I bought the trailer, we are looking at upgrading to a 1 ton but haven't done it yet.
I have pulled this trailer from RI to Florida and back for 3 years and never felt I had exceeded the safety of the truck, but many will disagree with me and they might be right and that is why I'm looking at a 1 ton.
Back to Heartland Bighorn/Big Country - I feel that for what I paid for mine in the summer of 2011 I got a great deal, I feel now that the RV market had gotten better the prices have climbed drastically. I feel if a dealer wants to sell a trailer he should be willing to take 30% off the MSRP. The Heartland Owners website, which is a fantastic tool and one you should join if you continue looking at them, gives the MSRP sheets with the prices so you can figure out the actual factory MSRP, not what the dealer says it is. Many are guilty of creating their own MSRP.
The quality of our trailer was good we have been very happy with it and would probably buy the same model if we could. I've only had minimal problems none major, which I have taken care of myself, my only complaint was the quality of the finish on the cabinets, it seemed to be a weakness back then. I have a feeling that the cabinets had a water based spray on finish which doesn't stand up to wet hands, but I have corrected that problem my self and if I must say so, I did a good job.
RV's are not perfect and you can't compare them to a house in any way although we think you should be able to. If you have a $65 to $100k budget you can quite the trailer but the average person doesn't have those resources.
Good Luck in your hunt - any check out -
Heartland Owners Forum - Forum Portal

Westwind is offline   Reply With Quote