Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 05:26 PM   #15

The one good thing about Goodyear is they will pay damages onrepairs to the trailer if the tires are found to be bad.
X2 ON Ron's Titan disc brakes. Best investment I ever made
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 05:17 AM   #16

On my 5th set of GY 5er US Made tires and not even a flat.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #17

[QUOTE=shane wood;3090679]The one good thing about Goodyear is they will pay damages onrepairs to the trailer if the tires are found to be bad.

If you have a "blow-out" with GY, keep the shredded tire for turn in at a Goodyear dealer. (They send it in to Akron, OH for evaluation). After GY has been notified, they will open a warranty claim for you and will rapidly pay for any damage plus a new tire if the blown tire is found to be defective. Don't ask how I know.
Catfish
j2catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #18

Wow, that's good to know, J2catfish! Discount told us that they would replace any tire for two years, no questions asked & regardless of wear, but they didn't tell us that important bit of information.

The Discount guy called me today and said that our new high-pressure aluminum wheels are in, so tomorrow morning I'll take them the steel valve stems (Discount doesn't stock them), and the Tire Minder TPMS I bought so they can mount and balance my new G614s. Then I'm bringing them home to install on the fifth wheel myself. It seems as though all the rain we've been having here in Central Texas has rutted out my gravel & caliche driveway so badly that I can't get the trailer out! We are supposed to be leaving on our Ruidoso trip in 12 days, but it won't happen unless I can get someone in here ASAP with several yards of base, and a backhoe to make some emergency repairs!
Randalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:07 PM   #19

Because of all the rain we've been getting here in Central Texas, we can't get our fifth wheel out of our washed out driveway. I had Discount mount and balance the G614s, and I brought them home and mounted them myself. Out of curiosity, I weighed one of the factory Constancy tires & aluminum wheel, and one of the G614s on a new high-pressure aluminum wheel. The Constancy weighed 55 lbs, and the G614 weighed 84 pounds-- 29 pounds more per wheel! I hope the extra weight translates to extra safety against blowout, but I also hope it doesn't also mean noticeably longer stopping distances.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #20

I hear those disc brakes knocking at your door....
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:16 AM   #21

Yes, indeed, DJNCJ! We are a "go" for our trip to Ruidoso on Monday, and I've gotten lots of great advice here about how to drive and brake safely with our current setup. But I'm betting that hydraulic/electric discs will be my very next investment, followed by a gear swap from 3.73 LSD to 4.10 LSD. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:05 PM   #22

I've been reading alot about tires made in China are poor quality. Blow outs are prevalent in them . Increased handling with the 110 psi g rated tires. I use good year tires and internal tpms by Valor.the tpsm saved me twice as I ran over chunks of metal on the side of the highway. So now it rest areas only
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:20 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
I've been reading alot about tires made in China are poor quality. Blow outs are prevalent in them . Increased handling with the 110 psi g rated tires. I use good year tires and internal tpms by Valor.the tpsm saved me twice as I ran over chunks of metal on the side of the highway. So now it rest areas only
I've never understood how the NHTSA even allows them the stated tire ratings they have. I guess not enough RV'ers take the time to report their tire failures to the U.S. Government.

To have poor quality rubber under 12K to 15K lb. oversize trailers is something the government should prohibit. They're being a typical government agency--inept doing their jobs.

Sailun G rated tires are the only Chinese tire that's actually acceptable.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #24

Last weekend I completed a set of four Hartland load range E ST225/75-15 tires on my toy hauler. They sure are beefy looking tires compared to the cheap stuff the prior owner had on there.

My first two Hartland tires (plus wheels) were purchased as spares. The prior owner didn't even know the spare was missing. I'm often out in the middle of nowhere so losing one tire would be an inconvenience. Losing a second would be the end of the adventure.

The next Hartland tire was purchased because Discount Tire wouldn't work on one of the existing trailer tires because it was too old. It looked fine but was indeed old. They gave me a killer deal on it that I couldn't refuse. The visit was to install the trailer TPMS sensors that came with my 2017 Ford F-350.

The next Hartland tire was purchased a few weeks ago on my way into Wyoming. I noticed the older load range E tire had a significantly higher PSI than the Hartland tire right behind it. A Discount Tire on the way replaced it and had me on my way in under an hour.

The final two tires were replaced last weekend when I got rid of the two load range D tires. They weren't that old and looked to be in good shape. But I wanted all the tires to be the same and inflated to the same PSI so I didn't have to look twice at the PSI readout on my dashboard.

The Hartland tires have a speed rating of N (87 mph) and load index of 117 (2833 lbs). They are made in china.

I had considered moving up to a Sailun tire but that would have required new wheels. The Goodyear Endurance would have worked on the original wheels but are as much as $30 more per tire. Only time will tell how well these tires hold up.
HighPlainsRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 11:22 AM   #25
MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsRV View Post
Last weekend I completed a set of four Hartland load range E ST225/75-15 tires on my toy hauler. They sure are beefy looking tires compared to the cheap stuff the prior owner had on there.

My first two Hartland tires (plus wheels) were purchased as spares. The prior owner didn't even know the spare was missing. I'm often out in the middle of nowhere so losing one tire would be an inconvenience. Losing a second would be the end of the adventure.

The next Hartland tire was purchased because Discount Tire wouldn't work on one of the existing trailer tires because it was too old. It looked fine but was indeed old. They gave me a killer deal on it that I couldn't refuse. The visit was to install the trailer TPMS sensors that came with my 2017 Ford F-350.

The next Hartland tire was purchased a few weeks ago on my way into Wyoming. I noticed the older load range E tire had a significantly higher PSI than the Hartland tire right behind it. A Discount Tire on the way replaced it and had me on my way in under an hour.

The final two tires were replaced last weekend when I got rid of the two load range D tires. They weren't that old and looked to be in good shape. But I wanted all the tires to be the same and inflated to the same PSI so I didn't have to look twice at the PSI readout on my dashboard.

The Hartland tires have a speed rating of N (87 mph) and load index of 117 (2833 lbs). They are made in china.

I had considered moving up to a Sailun tire but that would have required new wheels. The Goodyear Endurance would have worked on the original wheels but are as much as $30 more per tire. Only time will tell how well these tires hold up.
I know it's been a while since you put those Hartland tires on your trailer, but by now you should be able to tell how well they are wearing. I'm thinking of purchasing 4 new Hartland tires for the 2008 Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel trailer we recently bought. What's your take on those Hartlands?
(I'll be buying the exact same size as the tires you bought.)

Thanks!
MPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPH View Post
I know it's been a while since you put those Hartland tires on your trailer, but by now you should be able to tell how well they are wearing. I'm thinking of purchasing 4 new Hartland tires for the 2008 Crossroads Cruiser 5th wheel trailer we recently bought. What's your take on those Hartlands?
(I'll be buying the exact same size as the tires you bought.)

Thanks!
I'm guessing that I have 2,000 miles on these Hartland tires. No issues to this point. I do keep them covered when not travelling. They've been down dirt/gravel roads, county roads and interstate highways. One of them runs about 2° F hotter than the others but I think that's probably within the margin of error.

I put a set of four Hartland tires on our Boy Scout Troop trailer. No complaints there but they don't have a TPMS monitoring system for that trailer.

At this point all I can say is they aren't complete crap. Only after a couple of years and 10,000 miles will I be able to tell how good (or not) they really are.
HighPlainsRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires