Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Info/opinions on Hartland 235/85/16 G-rated tires

OK gang,

I stopped in at the local Discount Tire today to purchase Maxxis 8008 E rated tires for my fifth wheel. The manager rolled out a Hartland 235/85/R16 that he said is new to the market. It is all-steel belted, G-rated, and he can sell them for the same price as the Maxxis E-rated tires. The Maxxis has a load capacity of 3420 lbs at 80 psi, these Hartlands have a capacity of 4000 lbs at 110 psi.

I fell for his line, and now I want the Hartlands, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything important. The Hartland is heavier and almost an inch larger around, so I will have four heavier flywheels to start and stop (especially stop!) than with the Maxxis tires. How much do you think it will affect stopping power? Are the G-rated tires too stiff for a 12,000 lb fifth wheel? Will they negatively affect the trailer in any other way I don't know about?

I went ahead and had him order me four new aluminum wheels that are rated for 110 psi, so wheel capacity won't be a problem. The Chinese-made factory wheels are only rated for 80 psi, and I've heard stories about them cracking. I decided to bite the bullet and replace them now, regardless of which tires I go with, because they are hopefully safer, and will give me more options later. What do you all think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
#1 - WHERE are they made? If he can sell them for the same price as the MAXXIS tires, they're probably Chinese and you won't get any less than six months old at best. (Learn how to read the DOT stamp on them and you'll see.) As has been told by countless others, almost anything made in China isn't made to the same standards as here or in Canada.

#2 - What kind of warranty do they come with? If made cheaply, they probably don't have one or only have a minimal one. Doesn't matter how heavy they are; belts and plies can separate at any time if they weren't bonded right. They may look great on the outside and fall completely apart with no warning - lots of others have posted about this happening to them with cheap tires.

#3 - You don't say what make & model you've got. Many trailers have Tredit wheels and their made in the US. Did he or someone actually check one of your wheels for the info that should be stamped or cast on the back side?

Old 05-25-2016, 03:37 PM   #3

I have a 2015 Chaparral 336 fifth wheel with a GVWR of 12200. I while back I checked the Chinese-made factory wheels by brand name (I forget what that is now), and they are only rated for 80 psi. According to apocryphal stories on the internet, there have been cases of them cracking. The tires are E-rated Constancy 235/80/R16s with a load capacity of 3090 @ 80 psi. I haven't found much info on them, other than they are Chinese made.

Discount is offering a nation-wide two year warranty for full replacement no matter how much wear they have. I assume they are Chinese or Thai made, but I didn't ask. I've also heard that pretty much all of the brand named tires are made in China, but with stricter specs, and higher quality control.

The Discount manager offered to sell me the Maxxis, and said they are fine tires and would do well on my trailer. He just thought I should consider the G rating on the Hartlands, over the E rating on the Maxxis.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
At 12.2k GVWR, even if you overload it, I don't know as G rated tires are all that needed. Mine is 15.6k and it's gone about 30k miles on E rated Firestone LT tires with no problems at all, and with the original Tredit wheels. Some people with Montanas swear by G rated tires (especially Goodyear), but I'm content with quality LT ones - they've got reserves built in that aren't in ST types.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:22 PM   #5

Randalf,
Based on this thread, and the other one--dealing with Discount Tire should be a no-brainer. They are just about everywhere. They also have a relatively cheap all-hazards replacement policy.
DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THE 'flywheel' effect--not going to come into play. Where did this idea come from--big tires on a pickup? Yes, weight of a tire will have some effect--can you notice it? NO
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #6

Yes, Wingnut, that concern did come from a discussion about larger truck tires. Yesterday morning, before I stopped by Discount Tire, I had breakfast with a couple of old friends who are 5ers. One friend had recently read an article about how putting tires one size larger and five pounds heavier on a vehicle was the equivalent of putting 200 pounds in the trunk. I remember watching one of the hot rod truck or 4X4 shows on TV where they did panic stop tests on a truck before and after adding larger tires, and the bigger tires added 16 feet to stopping distance. I experienced that when I bought a new 2004 Dodge 1500 that came with 20" wheels, but standard brakes. I felt the difference in stopping power, and very soon had my mechanic install upgraded front calipers and slotted discs to make it stop the way I expected it to.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #7

As I posted on my other thread re: Maxxis tires, the deal went down today. I went to Discount to buy the Maxxis tires, and left with Goodyear G614s. They are mounted on new high-pressure aluminum rims that they special ordered, and I had steel valve stems put on them for my Tire Minder TPMS. Now I guess I'll have to find something else to worry about besides tire blow-outs. Maybe brakes. Those big, heavy tires will make the trailer slower to stop, so now I'll need a hydraulic/electric disc brake system, right?

Thanks for all your help. FYI, I decided against the Hartland tires because they don't seem to have a track record of any kind, good or bad. Maxxis have a good reputation, but the G614s seem to be better rated overall.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post
As I posted on my other thread re: Maxxis tires, the deal went down today. I went to Discount to buy the Maxxis tires, and left with Goodyear G614s. They are mounted on new high-pressure aluminum rims that they special ordered, and I had steel valve stems put on them for my Tire Minder TPMS. Now I guess I'll have to find something else to worry about besides tire blow-outs. Maybe brakes. Those big, heavy tires will make the trailer slower to stop, so now I'll need a hydraulic/electric disc brake system, right?

Thanks for all your help. FYI, I decided against the Hartland tires because they don't seem to have a track record of any kind, good or bad. Maxxis have a good reputation, but the G614s seem to be better rated overall.
My 2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS (16100 lb GVW) has new Goodyear (G) G614's as well as Titan electric/hydraulic disc brakes. I Just installed the brakes and test drove today. WOW WOW WOW! If you are even considering this upgrade it makes a dramatic improvement in the braking.

I'm all about having things as safe as possible. Why the manufactures don't build these trailers with this braking system to begin with is beyond me. I know it's all $$$ but at the manufacturing level it can't be that much more to include at the get go... Any way... I like your choice of tires and I'm sure you'll be happy with them!
Old 05-26-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

DJNCJ, I was sort of poking fun at myself when I mentioned upgrading my brakes, because I tend to be a worry-wart who overthinks everything. I spent seven years of my Army career as a safety officer analyzing Army accidents and trying to come up with countermeasures to prevent them from happening again. Those old habits die hard!

That being said, yes, I really am interested in installing a disc brake set up on my fifth wheel. Like you, I simply do not understand why auto and trailer manufacturers don't install the very best tires, wheels, and brakes they can, and advertise the hell out of how safe their products are. Who the hell cares how luxurious your trailer is if it a death trap rolling down the highway with cheap tires and crappy brakes? Safety is everything, luxury is nothing!

So, did you install the Titan system yourself, and how much did it cost?
Old 05-26-2016, 07:40 PM   #10

I did install it myself. With 40 years fixing cars/trucks it is a "no brainier" for me to tackle this type of thing. It took about 6 hours.

Cost was $1750.00 from the supplier. I added the cost of grease, brake fluid and $20.00 for two short lines & unions.

I chose to buy from Ron Russell:

Performance Trailer Braking Titan Hydraulic Disc Brake Conversion Kits and Installation

Dexter apparently just bought Titan at the time I ordered so it took 5 weeks to arrive. Likely it's a week wait... Just unfortunate timing. I really like the product and recommend it.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
DJNCJ, Did you have to do flares on any of the fittings?
Old 05-26-2016, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
DJNCJ, Did you have to do flares on any of the fittings?
No, not one. The line kit was totally hand bendable and it seemed I could not kink it if I tried.
Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #13

Randalf,
No problem with the GY 614s, they are good, but expensive. Your wallet should be just little lighter now...
Go forth and camp.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randalf View Post

Good call on the US Made GY's!!!

Tags
tires